Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning Sickness - Is it just bad when expecting a girl

Options
  • 21-08-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have read quite a bit that morning sickness is generally associated more with expecting girls rather than boys. Is there some truth in this or can you suffer morning sickness with both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I had morning sickness with my little boy until 12 weeks and that was the last time i was sick throughout my pregnancy. I also was absolutely starving the whole time with him hence i put on three stone.

I am now due a girl in about 5 weeks i had horrible morning sickness with her. I was sick anything up to 20 times a day until 16 weeks i am still sick on and off at the moment i have good weeks and bad weeks. I also have no appetite with this child.

I personally think that you are more sicker with a girl but that is just my opinion.I also think every pregnancy is different.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Old wive's tale.

The gender of the foetus has no bearing on the levels of morning sickness.

Your body is reacting to the increased hormones it has to create to maintain the pregnancy up to 12 weeks and sometimes beyond. These hormones are identical regardless of the gender of the foetus.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Generally you have higher hcg levels for a girl so it can make morning sickness worse.

I am not very sick this time so I am convinced it is is boy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Not necessarily: if you suffer with hyperemesis (the really severe form of morning sickness) you are marginally more likely to have a girl... but it really is quite marginal there are quite a few studies on it though.

For "normal" morning sickness there really is no difference though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

My sister had three girls and was horrendously sick for the first 4-5 months of each with it coming back with a vengance again for the last couple of months.

I'm on my second sickness free pregnancy, last one was a boy, this one... we don't know yet. But both pregnancies I definitely had a majorly increased appetite on both, which 'they' say means it could be a boy.

Could be coincidental though, I certainly won't be decorating a room or buying clothes based on the old wives tales :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

I've have two boys, and was woefully sick on both up to almost 20 weeks. My friend has one of each and had no sickness on the girl, but had on her boy. Another friend has 3 girls and sickness varied from none, to been hospitalised (due to dehydration) throughout her 3 pregnancies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Generally you have higher hcg levels for a girl so it can make morning sickness worse.

Well you learn something new every day!

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/17/2/485.full

cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

My friend had a baby girl 9 weeks ago and didn't suffer any sickness and another friend had a baby girl two years ago and had severe morning sickness that she ended up in Hospital on a drip due to dehydration.

Has anyone looked at the chinese gender chart, if you look at the age you were when you conceived and the month you conceived it shows a pink or blue baby. I looked up a few friends and it was all correct i even put in my mams age and when she conceived on all 4 of us and it was all spot on. i have looked at 4 different old wives tales two say boy and two say girl :D Chinese chart and boys been the quicker swimmers say its a boy and then bad sickness and getting high heart rate reading at 8 weeks says girl. ive along way to go before i find out tho im only 9+3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

I think its just an old wives tale, i was sooooo sick on my first - a little girl (all day every day i was nauseous and vomiting until about 16 or 17 weeks).

My OH's sister was super sick too, right up till about 18 weeks, she was still vomiting and she thought it was never going to go away and she had a little boy.

Also my mum said that she felt ok on my sister and she ended up in hospital on me with dehydration when she was pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Its apparently an old wives tale. I had MS up till I was about 19 weeks when I was pregnant on my daughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I had a girl and didn't have any morning sickness. My mother never had morning sickness with any of her pregnancies (boys or girls). My sister had a boy and had slight morning sickness.
    I think it's an old wives tale...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Aren't you meant to get more sickness with twins, higher hcg levels?... There might be one hiding behind the other :D

Advertisement