Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh HELP please - South Tipp area

Options
  • 21-08-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I have just moved and trying to get BB so my son can play his PS3/ipad/Netflix but so far no joy!

I had an eircom engineer check my line - not capable of broadband/Exchange isn't so far - might be upgraded in 12 months! 12 months?!!!!!

So far i can't find any alternative apart from Sat Dishes - expensive to install and no good for online gaming (son wants it)

Any alternatives? I've tried Ripple/Premier/Alphawave want 75e just to check the site... :confused:

Kilamery/NineMileHouse Area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

There might be some community broadband scheme in the area. Try www.askcomreg.ie for more information.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Those ISPs may want money for a site test but that's usually just the general installation fee, if you're unable to get service from them then they shouldn't charge for a site test (usually, other users may be able to confirm this).

If your son wants to be gaming and using Netflix make sure you get a package with a high usage limit. The pings on FWA providers are fine for gaming (I've usually got pings of around 30ms on Ripplecom). Satellite is out of the question because of pings and very low usage limits, and there's no point in getting mobile broadband because it has very high pings and also the usage limits are usually insufficient for services like Netflix (a lot of people have been caught since they came to Ireland)

As for the providers you've listed, Ripplecom have the fastest speed with 8Mb for 40 euro, however they have a cap. The other providers have lower speeds and are more expensive but don't have a limit. I'm not sure how Ripplecom is in South Tipp (good for me in North Cork), but a quick search of the board might find out some reviews.

Permanet also appear to offer sporadic coverage in your area if you can't get coverage from the other three.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The only exchange due for an upgrade around there is Ballyporeen and that should have been completed 3 years ago...the upgrade to ADSL was promised by the chairman of eircom in April 2007 .

5 and a half years later eircom are wasting peoples time with a 'we might do it in 12 months' ...instead of apologising profusely for their utter incompetence. If not Ballyporeeen then it is simply BS to get rid of you. :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The only exchange due for an upgrade around there is Ballyporeen and that should have been completed 3 years ago...the upgrade to ADSL was promised by the chairman of eircom in April 2007 .

5 and a half years later eircom are wasting peoples time with a 'we might do it in 12 months' ...instead of apologising profusely for their utter incompetence. If not Ballyporeeen then it is simply BS to get rid of you. :(
    Bit like my own so Sponge Bob (Ballydesmond). Was on the list of 319 announced in 2007?. After repeated conversations with eircom, at each point they gave me a date 3 months ahead of when I was talking to them, Ripplecom arrived in March 2009. The exchange still isn't upgraded, although if they did I'd bet all we'd get is 3Mb DSL. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

marno21 wrote: »
    Bit like my own so Sponge Bob (Ballydesmond). Was on the list of 319 announced in 2007?. After repeated conversations with eircom, at each point they gave me a date 3 months ahead of when I was talking to them, Ripplecom arrived in March 2009. The exchange still isn't upgraded, although if they did I'd bet all we'd get is 3Mb DSL. :(

There is a thread just for you guys, post the lies and dates in there. They eventually got to Ballycotton in early 2011 and the max speed is 2mbits, I think that exchange has 16-17mbits of backhaul in total (a split E3 shared with somewhere else nearby)

[url][/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

butty23 wrote: »
    Hi

I have just moved and trying to get BB so my son can play his PS3/ipad/Netflix but so far no joy!

I had an eircom engineer check my line - not capable of broadband/Exchange isn't so far - might be upgraded in 12 months! 12 months?!!!!!

So far i can't find any alternative apart from Sat Dishes - expensive to install and no good for online gaming (son wants it)

Any alternatives? I've tried Ripple/Premier/Alphawave want 75e just to check the site... :confused:

Kilamery/NineMileHouse Area

Is it broadband you want or just test????no charge from premier/alphawave for test, if there is signal the installation is done on the day , if no signal there is no charge...which is fair imo , some companies charge if no signal !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

http://www.alphawave.ie/
    even though these do not list Tipp in their coverage they recently took over a provider for South Tipp, you'll have to ring and see if they cover you

http://ruralbroadband.ie/

Try these

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

butty23 wrote: »
    play his PS3/ipad/Netflix but so far no joy!

if you cant get it through phone line then you have to go for satellite.. have you a smart phone? you can check speeds on your mobile and that i would guess would indicate the speeds and pings of vodafone, o2, or whoever you are with.. that would cover those... chances are they will be similar speeds...
    problems being, satellite or mobile towers are generally bad pings = bad for online gaming, i have around a 50-70 ping on my phone but in limerick city probably near a tower which is excellent.
    second to that limits on downloads are huge..bad for the likes of netflix etc.. games arent too intensive as of just yet..i expect that to change within 2-3 years though.

being honest the only people here who can properly help are those in your locality as they will know more.. even if your son asks around in school when he starts there im sure something can be sorted...

if there is an exchange nearby it is possible that eircom will roll out a line for you but you would end up paying for it yourself (a friend did this a few years ago for his house and it cost him 40 euro a month just for the line, then he had his fee on top of that afaik. (student house so we split it 5 ways making it not so bad like)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

kenyard wrote: »
    if you cant get it through phone line then you have to go for satellite..

Not true there's always fixed wireless, which is a route the op should check out first.

Satellite is not broadband nor will it ever be

Advertisement