Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parrot MKi9200 v VW Bluetooth Car Kit

Options
  • 21-08-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a Bluetooth kit for my vw golf. Has anyone any views on which is the better one to get, and also where could I get one fitted in cork.
    I know vw are charging €300 for their kit and installation.
    Or is there a better Bluetooth kit on the market, then the two mentioned.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm looking at getting a Bluetooth kit for my vw golf. Has anyone any views on which is the better one to get, and also where could I get one fitted in cork.

Thanks

Very simple answer. If you sell your car you can take your parrott with you to whatever car you go to.Its cheaper and just as good. This should answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Thanks

It all depends on how much you want to spend - and how long you expect to keep the car for.

I have this unit in my car - I don't make/take that many calls in the car, but if I need to I can. Battery is good - i leave the unit switched on 24/7 and I charge it around once a month (3 hrs to charge via USB). Pairing is automatic, call quality is fine for me, but not as good as a hard-wired via car speakers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SUPERTOOTH-Supertooth-Bluetooth-In-car-Hands-free/dp/B0039P1O4O/ref=pd_sim_ce_6

The reviews on Amazon are worth a read.

€40 on Amazon - I think Halfords stock it also.

I don't imagine you'll get a Parrot incl. installation for under €200, more like €250. Installation is usually around €60 - €80 depending on where you go.

I would not go with VW (or any own-brand) bluetooth - they're expensive and rarely any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Well i had the parrot you are referring to in my golf mk6, i had the car for 2 years, it never played up once,sound quality was excellent and the voice recognition was top drawer, connection was always a bit slow 30-90 seconds but that is not really a big issue, also you can connect usb,iphone,ipod,and any mp3 player via the cables that come with the parrot, anyway got rid of the golf 3 weeks ago and got the dealer that i traded it in with to remove the parrot and install it in the bmw as part of the deal, I would not of been able to that with a vw unit, so my advice is the parrot,btw i originally bought the parrot in halfords,longford (cannot remember the price but wasn't cheap) and they fitted it for free at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Thanks for the comments back. I think I'm going to go with the parrot system.
    Would halfords be a suitable place to get it fitted?? Or should I look elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

theyre pretty easy to fit, i did mine myself. Doing it yourself means you have full control over everything, where it goes etc.

I bought mine in halfords as I have loads of different discounts but it was fairly cheap, around the €120 mark I think. Id seriously avoid for fitting, anyone can get a job fitting up there, ye they have a bit of training but not much.

I had a bit of an issue fitting mine with only one speaker playing audio, which can happen with fords.

guy on here "futurec" who runs future comms, an irish company, was really helpful, id say go to him for installation.

furturecomms.ie seems to be down at the minute but maybe find him on here or email "installs(at)futurecomms.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Well i had the parrot you are referring to in my golf mk6, i had the car for 2 years, it never played up once,sound quality was excellent and the voice recognition was top drawer, connection was always a bit slow 30-90 seconds but that is not really a big issue, also you can connect usb,iphone,ipod,and any mp3 player via the cables that come with the parrot, anyway got rid of the golf 3 weeks ago and got the dealer that i traded it in with to remove the parrot and install it in the bmw as part of the deal, I would not of been able to that with a vw unit, so my advice is the parrot,btw i originally bought the parrot in halfords,longford (cannot remember the price but wasn't cheap) and they fitted it for free at the time.

Good thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

I got a price from a repeatable agent in cork to suppy and fit the kit for €300. Which is very steep considering you can buy the unit for €180 in Halfords!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Here's a bargain alert thread about the 9200, maybe has some useful info: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056636145&referrerid=397096
    Btw one thing to mention about this carkit is if you play music over it (I do from iPhone over bluetooth, very handy) it bypasses your headunit. So if you have expensive audio equipment this makes it a bit of a waste... Although I must say the sound quality in my car is actually better from the carkit then from the standard headunit...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

check out mobile fun they have a blue tooth kit for 20stg, dunno anything about it as i am not tech savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I got a price from a repeatable agent in cork to suppy and fit the kit for €300. Which is very steep considering you can buy the unit for €180 in Halfords!!
    just ask them for a fitting quote and see what they say,
    i found the receipt from my parrot it cost me 212 in jan 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Apologies in advance for digging up the thread. I always opt to buy the kit in halfords and have someone else fit it, i had two bad experiences with halfords with a ck3100 and a MKi9200 on a 2006 Jetta and a 2007 Cordoba.

Installation quality both times was horrid, i ended up having to clean up cables and fittings myself; Cost me money to correct an issue on the jetta with the battery being flattened if not used for a day or so. Do ring up Parrot they have a list of people in ireland who can fit them that ARE certified.

I seen some guys advertising services on adverts.ie recently that seemed reasonable between €260-280 installed..

Advertisement