If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on AV Receivers with Airplay features

Options
  • 21-08-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Not sure if it's considered sacrilege to be thinking about replacing my Onkyo 875 with something along the lines of the Denon AVR1713 listed on the website. We're an Apple household (MacMini media centre, iPhones, iPods and iPad) and I'm thinking I'd like the integration features. I don't have anything against the Onkyo (serves me well) other than it's a heavy bugger when you're moving house :) . Have any of you at RS opinions or views on this either from personal usage or scenarios you've sold kit for?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@ciotog,

If you're looking for advice from Richersounds then your post is in the right place :) I'm not sure if you're looking for opinions etc from other Boards users ( "If anyone has gone this way, what opinions do you have?") then your query should be in the Home Entertainment Forum.

Let me know and I'll move your post if necessary.

@All,

Please leave this query for Richersounds to answer as per Charter, thanks.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

I'll be buying from Richersounds if I do go ahead (the Denon I mentioned is one they sell) so I was primarily after their opinions but I wouldn't have minded hearing from others who had bought from them. Seeing as the latter bit runs afoul I'll edit the original post and maybe cross-post later to Home Entertainment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Ciotog,

Thanks for that, feel free to cross post on the HE forums, Consumer Electronics also has an Apple Media Devices forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1176), some of the folks there might have useful views for you.

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

ciotog wrote: »
    Not sure if it's considered sacrilege to be thinking about replacing my Onkyo 875 with something along the lines of the Denon AVR1713 listed on the website. We're an Apple household (MacMini media centre, iPhones, iPods and iPad) and I'm thinking I'd like the integration features. I don't have anything against the Onkyo (serves me well) other than it's a heavy bugger when you're moving house :) . Have any of you at RS opinions or views on this either from personal usage or scenarios you've sold kit for?

Hi Ciotog,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Airplay really is a great feature. I use an Iphone myself and it's so handy. Got several Airplay products set up in the store. Endless hours of fun torturing the guys with jungle in the morning. :D

Are you still happy with the Onkyo? They are indeed massive, great amps though. There is ways of adding Airplay to your existing set-up.

Apple TV is the new addition to our shop. We have this running via HDMI into our display AV amps. Apple TV gives you access to Itunes, Youtube, Netflix, music stored on your network and ofcourse Airplay.

This just connects into your WiFi and aslong as your Airplay products are also connected this will then allow you to stream music, video and pictures through your Onkyo. :)

Check the link below for more info on Apple TV:
    http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/

We currently stock this for £99.95.

We also stock a wide range of amps with Airplay built in. The 1713 you mentioned is a fantastic amp. Excellent sound quality for both movies and music. Endless list of features too. Lot of changes from the 875 days.

Our current price on the Denon is £399.95.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Thanks Chris. I actually had a pretty good setup (moved recently so haven't setup everything again), similar to what you describe:
    - BluRay, Nintendo Wii, XBox, UPC connected to the Onkyo to LG over HDMI
    - MacMini HDMI to LG (MacMini never synced if I ran it through the Onkyo) and optical out through the Onkyo.
    - Rowmote Pro for the MacMini

It could've done with some refinements but overall it's a setup I've been very pleased with. However I'm seeing that some of the AVRs are starting to take on streaming functions from suitable sources and also offering Airplay. So that's why I'm thinking about changing things up. I also like the idea of an App to control the Amp as it offers up some flexibility for us. In terms of Airplay equipped AVRs that you're selling is there one that has particular standout features for you? I picked the 1713 largely on the price being around what I'd like to pay but would be more feature driven. I'll probably also look to shift the Onkyo on before making a new purchase so if there's new kit on the horizon worth considering I'm happy to hear about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

@ Ritzy - Thanks a mill

Ciotog,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you.

Up to about a couple of years ago I was the ultimate Apple hater - but then came the slipper slope via the 3s followed by the 4s than came the Apple TV and now I've become a zealot - I know that Android can be technically superior / cheaper etc - but this Apple stuff just seems to work and the Apple TV has to be the worst promoted best product I've come across in years - so this is a roundabout way of saying that you can of course Appleise your system just with the addition of a simple Apple TV for under a ton and it works brilliantly .

Keeping the honest hat on I have to admit that the 1713 is a brilliant Receiver and has loads of features that the 875 just can't match however the 875 does have excellent audio quality and the 1713 won't give you a huge improvement in that area - if you were changing I'd go for the Pioneer VSX922 the Pioneer prob has the best mixture of features and the best control app and it's not unreasonable at £479.95.

If pure Audio quality is the priority you won't get better than the new Marantz SR5007 and sorry but it's so sexy I have to pop up a picture..

L_sr5007_n_b_34.png

It ain't cheap at £649.95 but it's just a stunning piece of kit and sounds pretty amazing and will blow your 875 out of the water in pretty much every respect and make the upgrade worthwhile..

Keep me posted if we can assist or if you need any other suggestions and thanks for teh opportunity to quote??

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.