Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet Question

• 21-08-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All, I'm looking for some advice please re is it possible to lay a canvas back carpet without underlay?

I have seen the perfect carpet which I really love and now nothing else will do, I really want this carpet.

The issue is our sitting room, it is a concrete floor with a timber floor laid on top and it is the timber floor I will be carpeting over.

We already have a carpet down the last few years on the wood floor, its felt back so it didn't require any underlay, even without the underlay one of the double doors in the room sticks ever so slightly when almost opened fully so unfortunately no space for underlay!

The new carpet which I have seen and really want is a canvas back, I have been told by the shop that this would need underlay fitted with the carpet , taking the doors off and shaving them down is not really something i want to have to do so I and wondering if it is at all possible to fit a canvas backed carpet without underlay?

I know all the benefits that underlay bring with it but this is not really a factor for me, I don;t really expect to get more than a few years out of the carpet as we plan on ripping up the wood floor down the line, this is not something we can do right now as the wood floor runs out through our hallway,considering we are in a bungalow all the skirting, arcitrave and doors will need to be replaced when doing so its a pretty big job.

Hopefully someone will have the answer I really want to hear, Thanks.

Advertisement