Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

University Scholar Scheme?

• 21-08-2012 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here received it? The information is vague so I'm not sure how it works other than get the results and register for next year. I've done this but do I have to do anything else?

The word document for it is dated 07/08 so I'm not sure if it is even still available.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Has anyone here received it? The information is vague so I'm not sure how it works other than get the results and register for next year. I've done this but do I have to do anything else?

The word document for it is dated 07/08 so I'm not sure if it is even still available.
    Ya the college should contact you later on in the year when they do the ceremony. They take of everything the only thing you have to do is show up when they ask you to. Your course coordinator should be able to tell you all about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

The ceremony for the university scholarships are usually in February or thereabouts, you'll automatically get an invitation in the post about a week or two in advance.

Just a cautionary tale, I didn't receive my invitation this year (I was quite certain my results merited the award based on the requirements posted online) so I went into admissions in Aras ui Cathail and they sorted it out for me. Apparently whoever was organising the awards for the science faculty just "pulled up the wrong course" when checking my particular course and I hadn't been added to the list. They fixed it for me then obviously, but I did wonder if there were many other students in the same boat as me who were none the wiser. So, keep an eye out and if you don't get an invite don't just assume you haven't got it, go in to check!! You never know with NUIG admin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

They also have a weird way of judging whether you qualify or not. I think they only take your overall module marks (at Level 1) into account and not each individual module. A friend of mine lost out on it because of this, and boy, did they get an earful about it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

RolandIRL wrote: »
    They also have a weird way of judging whether you qualify or not. I think they only take your overall module marks (at Level 1) into account and not each individual module. A friend of mine lost out on it because of this, and boy, did they get an earful about it then.

Thanks for the replies!

If your friend had the individual module results wouldn't that give you an overall average high enough? I could just be misunderstanding you. I thought it was 70%+ in each exam at first but the requirements showed "first class honours, 75%+" so assumed it meant that I needed it to show a mark above 75 at the very bottom beside where it says first class honours.

Wasn't expecting a ceremony, thought it would of just been I applied for it, they check my results and either I get a letter and cheque in the post or I went into an office to pick it up.

Thanks for the replies!

If your friend had the individual module results wouldn't that give you an overall average high enough? I could just be misunderstanding you. I thought it was 70%+ in each exam at first but the requirements showed "first class honours, 75%+" so assumed it meant that I needed it to show a mark above 75 at the very bottom beside where it says first class honours.

Wasn't expecting a ceremony, thought it would of just been I applied for it, they check my results and either I get a letter and cheque in the post or I went into an office to pick it up.
    The requirement is that you get over 70% in 48 of your 60 creds but it's more complicated than that.

I'm just going to use Maths as an example. The course code is MA180 (20 creds). In that you've Algebra I, II, Analysis I, II (5 creds each). Now in these 4 modules, you score 80% in 3 of them and 0% in the last one (just to show my point). Your overall mark is 60% in MA180. You don't qualify for the university scholar because even though you got >70% in 55 of your 60 creds (assuming the other modules were okay), the MA180 is worth 20 creds and that's the module that's taken into consideration. They don't break it down into its Level 2 modules (the Algebra and Analysis ones). It's only your Level 1 modules (the MA180) that qualify you for the title.

Sorry if that's way too much info this early in the morning :P

• Advertisement

Crap, i'm off by 3%.... got over 70% in 42ECTS, got 67% in a 6ECTS course.... bollox

I think I might of gotten 69 in one of them. I hope not or I'll be very pissed that I missed out when I managed to get above 75% with first class honours when the information they gave me said that what I needed, not some very complicated way of doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

I've attached a word document which identifies the criteria required to become a scholar. It is from 2007-08 but I don't think it has changed.

tbahh wrote: »
    I've attached a word document which identifies the criteria required to become a scholar. It is from 2007-08 but I don't think it has changed.

That is outdated for Science at least. This is in the Unden. Science booklet (section 9.1):
    An overall average of at least 70% including First Class Honours (at Level 1) in at least 48 of the total 60 ECTS

I don't know what the requirements are for the other colleges but I'm sure if you just email their secretary, you'll get an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

In the Law Faculty the requirement is >70% in at least 3 of your core modules

• Advertisement

tbahh wrote: »

This is what one of my lecturers linked to in some notes and the only information on the engineering page about it. I'll just wait until I see the course coordinator, I'm sure he'll want to have a meeting in September.

Hopefully it turns out I get it and can go through with my plans for the money!

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭No.5

Sorry to bring this up again but it seems we won't hear any notification of qualifying for this until deny? Is this the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Got one of these through the post today, won't be able to go to the ceremony but it's still great to get it! €250 and a little somethin' somethin' to put on the CV, can't argue with that! :)

I got one too, what do we wear to this?

think i'll dust off the suit for this one.

i'd hazard a guess that smart/casual would be a safe bet, but think i'll do the suit thing anyways. i'd say though that's prolly cuz i'm in my thirties and i wont exactly look overdressed. maybe students in the 18-20 year old bracket would favour a more relaxed attire and be fine.

I was thinking suit pants and a shirt, should be fine, I really hate suits....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

yer man! wrote: »
    I was thinking suit pants and a shirt, should be fine, I really hate suits....

How can someone hate wearing a suit :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If I had to have been going I would totally don the suit, mainly because they're ****in' badass!

Edit: The Internet said it!

Im thinking shirt and black trousers anyway. My suit is a bit small as its been years since I last wore it. Buying a suit is a pain in the ass for me as all the cheaper suits assume you have huge shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭tbahh

Although some did wear a suit last year, they looked overdressed. A shirt and trousers (even jeans) is fine. It's not like a graduation where you'll be going out to celebrate afterwards. You just go in, sit through some speeches and then wait for your name to be called (which took ages last year but there's three ceremonies this year rather than two so it should be grand).

I won't be able to go this year but don't mind to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭isilidur1980

I would think that the people in suits will be dressed correctly, the people in jeans under-dressed. Time to start acting like grown-ups lads!!:D
    At least a pants, shirt and tie! However I wouldn't go spending any money on them! Some might just wear a pair of jeans out of necessity!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭baz15

Does it matter if you dont turn up for the ceremony? Dont think I can make it cos of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭isilidur1980

baz15 wrote: »
    Does it matter if you dont turn up for the ceremony? Dont think I can make it cos of work

No it doesn't matter. They will send out the scroll and money. I don't think you even have to mail them to let them know. Anyone entitled to it will be posted everything.:D

Does anybody know how many people are at the ceremonies? I am going to the 13.00 one (law/commerce). I know there cant be THAT many from law. (A mate told me to expect a couple of hundred).

Commerce must be HUUUUUUUGE so :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

Sorry to bump an old thread.

Does anyone know what marks the college of science expect? I got a 1.1 but it says you have to be in the top 7% of your class.

Advertisement