Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long in the Doghouse & what were you in for

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

No offense, but people who end up "in the doghouse" are just unbelievably whipped. In my experience, women have a lot more respect for you if you don't pander to the silent treatment bs...

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I don't do nagging. If I ask for something to be done & it's not then I'll give it a go myself. The only thing I'm not really comfortable doing is anything to do with electrics. I'll change a light bulb alright but I won't change a fuse.
    And I don't do the doghouse either. It's ridiculous.
    However I do have a friend that has a massive row with her husband at least once a month. And she uses withholding sex as punishment. The poor fcuker has callouses on his hands from relieving blue ball syndrome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

However I do have a friend that has a massive row with her husband at least once a month. And she uses withholding sex as punishment.

Hopefully it backfires and he bangs somebody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Went out with OH to pub & on to nightclub with a gang ( all mid 30s) to celebrate the birthday... Old friend (ex :0) from years back; London; who I hadn't seen in forever, walked in who I greeted ( apparently) with HUGE enthuiasm.I do Recall the party breaking up shortly after that & I went happily with OH to bed.
    Next morning woke alone, calls to wish OH happy Birthday went unanswered : all confused. Went into bathroom & looked in mirror. It was only then I remember ripping my top off & writing their number on my chest in lipstick. :0
    Took DAYS of well deserved apologising to empty voicemails & grovelling to recover the situation :0

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

anncoates wrote: »
    However I do have a friend that has a massive row with her husband at least once a month. And she uses withholding sex as punishment.

Hopefully it backfires and he bangs somebody else.
    She had the cheek to tell me one night that I could do with getting lessons in holding a grudge properly because I had a row with my fiancé & I was still speaking to him!
    She's worth her weight in gold for entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Confab wrote: »
    I've never spent more than 10 mins in the doghouse. You need more charm, sex appeal and chocolate, OP.

Listen to this ^^^^. If you are unsure how to ascertain the holy trinity as we like to call it, do as I do...I dip my willy in chocolate, then get out my tin whistle and I do a snake charmer impression as my willy goes up. Good bye dog house. Never fails!

mawk wrote: »
    I got cried at lately because I "don't care about the music she likes". il point out that when this happened she was wearing headphones and I dont even know who it was..

It was that goddamn 'I had the time of my life' song from that dancey movie. It's always that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

O-Deazy wrote: »
    The ex woke up one morning genuinely pissed off at me because she DREAMT I cheated on her with one of her college mates. Gave me dirty looks and the silent treatment for hours! Fecking wimin...

I had that before. She also woke up during the night and cried because she dreamt I died, even though I was lying beside her. She should have woken me up the silly mare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

I had that before. She also woke up during the night and cried because she dreamt I died, even though I was lying beside her. She should have woken me up the silly mare.

This just in........Panda has sex with Horse shocker :eek:

read all about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

The "silent treatment" is not an intentional punishment or immature reaction. We are having a pointless argument that neither of us will win, I am sick of talking about it, I want to forget about it, not talk to you for a while not to punish you but because I am still pissed off and not in good form, leave me in peace to calm down and gather my thoughts... even if you try to have a constructive conversation, after arguing I know I am cranky and need to step back, not for my sake, for his. Taking the time to let yourself cool down emotionally and tackle any real issues later is not immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Sala wrote: »
    The "silent treatment" is not an intentional punishment or immature reaction. We are having a pointless argument that neither of us will win, I am sick of talking about it, I want to forget about it, not talk to you for a while not to punish you but because I am still pissed off and not in good form, leave me in peace to calm down and gather my thoughts... even if you try to have a constructive conversation, after arguing I know I am cranky and need to step back, not for my sake, for his. Taking the time to let yourself cool down emotionally and tackle any real issues later is not immature.

That is understandable if you're talking about going out for a walk to calm down. Actually making the decision to not speak to your partner is counter-productive and childish thing to do. Acting like grown ups, hearing each other out and agree somewhere there between is how you deal with problems.

Sala wrote: »

A guy would say "I just don't want to talk to you right now". (no need for a paragraph to explain the thought process either).:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

A guy would say "I just don't want to talk to you right now". (no need for a paragraph to explain the thought process either).:D

Yes and if she says it he'll come onto boards and say he's getting the silent treatment!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Just a quick follow up to say true to form she backed down last night & normal channels are all open again.
    I had to install a replacement oven that's been sitting there for 2 months to make the breakthrough but maybe that was her game all along.
    Clever girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I remember reading somewhere (don't have details and can't add links) that the silent treatment is almost exclusively a female tactic because they think that constantly yabbering at you is their way of including you in their world. In their eyes, excluding you from that world is a horrific punishment! Nobody told them that their silence is actually being enjoyed by us - it gives us a chance to ponder really important stuff, like......well.......stuff.
    PS: If ever asked "are you looking forward to this business trip?", don't say "Yes". Not allowed! A real no no! The doghouse will await your return and the food dish will be empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It was that goddamn 'I had the time of my life' song from that dancey movie. It's always that one.

They have that song playing on a constant loop in hell I believe.

I've been in the doghouse more times than I care to remember, likewise with the reasons why I was there.

Except one exceptionally long period which was brought about by my claiming that a women we both knew was a better mother than her. Hell hath no fury...... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I used to go out with an ultra competitive bird. She had to beat me at everything and invariably I couldn't care less.

One day on a train we were playing travel scrabble (exciting stuff). I had 2 tiles left and she was winning. I looked at the board for ages and couldn't go. "Give up," she said "you can't go, just give up!!" she laughed. That laughter turned to a begrudging "Well done" 10 mins later wheh I spotted I could make the word "elf", nailing her with a double score for the "f". 30 seconds later I looked at her and she just went absolutely ballistic on something completely unrelated that happened a month before, followed by hours of the silent treatment. Sweet :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

with myself and my husband there is no doghouse,

if he does something wrong or that annoys me, i will tell him what it is and he just doesn't do it again, (there is no point getting upset over something thats already done) as for needing things done around the house, i come from a family of mostly females, we learned how to do diy, i do it myself if i want it done,

he does the same, he will just tell me what im doing to annoy him and i stop, simples,

no wasting needless hours not talking to one another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cienciano wrote: »
    Every girl in the world thinks their boyfriend/husband/partner "doesn't listen". We do listen, it's just not important.

Mine knows I don't for the most part, I surprise her ever now and then though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Sometimes its just the kindest thing to say nothing for a while. We rarely have arguments but when we do I can be an absolute bitch from hell and I know when I'm about to say something hurtful. At that point I just prefer to go into another room on my own to calm down for a while. Its not being childish to want to spare the person you love from a hurtful remark that you can't take back.

• Advertisement

I'm currently in the doghouse with my ex boyfriend (yes, EX, and he still thinks he can do it) who I'm friends with because I said I've not been feeling happy lately.

Apparently that's an insult to his company or some crap like that...

Needless to say, I'm in no hurry to get back in the good books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    My offence was ignoring the new Supernanny discipline procedures as we'd discussed for the kids.
    If you're having discipline problems with the children probably best to skip the Supernanny treatment. The Dog Whisperer, César Millán is what you need.

Disobedient children sorted plus your reluctance to sleep outdoors in the kennel addressed.

Two birds, one stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I don't do nagging or silent treatment. Just all out blazing rows ;)

Although I do remember my ex being very annoyed at me when he caught me looking at digital cameras a few years ago. He flipped out because I had a perfectly fine camera which took film and didn't need an expensive digital camera.
    There I sat in the spare room in our house which was filled with his dj equipment, his thousands of records, his brand new imac and his brand new flat screen tv and calmly told him that I would spend the money from my full time job on candyfloss if I so f*cking wished.
    It was the one and only time I gave the silent treatment because I was just so unbelievably angry with him that if I spoke I'd say something I would regret.
    He came home the next day with a digital camera for me.
    Score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I'm currently in the doghouse with my ex boyfriend (yes, EX, and he still thinks he can do it) who I'm friends with because I said I've not been feeling happy lately.

Apparently that's an insult to his company or some crap like that...

Needless to say, I'm in no hurry to get back in the good books.

you can see where he is coming from, kinda

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

usually for arriving home after a "quick one in the local"... or for stealing the duvet... she's relatively easy going, mind. There's somethings I've said and done over the years that I'm not proud of but she's always listened. And then sulked.

I don't deserve her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

When I do get back into a relationship I am going to build the best doghouse in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Just a quick follow up to say true to form she backed down last night & normal channels are all open again.
    I had to install a replacement oven that's been sitting there for 2 months to make the breakthrough but maybe that was her game all along.
    Clever girl.

why was it sitting there for two months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

PucaMama wrote: »
    Because she never got round to installing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Because she never got round to installing it?

wasnt he asked to do it? if not he wouldnt have done it. maybe a reason for the "nagging".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

ash23 wrote: »
    I don't do nagging or silent treatment. Just all out blazing rows ;)

Although I do remember my ex being very annoyed at me when he caught me looking at digital cameras a few years ago. He flipped out because I had a perfectly fine camera which took film and didn't need an expensive digital camera.
    There I sat in the spare room in our house which was filled with his dj equipment, his thousands of records, his brand new imac and his brand new flat screen tv and calmly told him that I would spend the money from my full time job on candyfloss if I so f*cking wished.
    It was the one and only time I gave the silent treatment because I was just so unbelievably angry with him that if I spoke I'd say something I would regret.
    He came home the next day with a digital camera for me.
    Score!

He probably wanted to buy it for you all along and said you didn't need one as a reason for you not to buy, thus giving him the chance to surprise you.

Then you went and gave him the silent treatment, poor chap.

My gf is pretty funny with it. The other day we were in Eddie Rockets having a grand aul chat. Waitress comes up takes our order, my gf stops talking to me, just giving yes/no answers.

20 mins later as we're leaving it emerges that the waitress and I were apparently flirting. (She said 'Do you want a tour of the menu', I chuckled said "no it's fine thanks" and ordered my food) Had to explain that I'm nice to everyone and I won't accept this just because I'm being nice to someone. She calmed down after a bit and gave her apologies.

Womenfolk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Naos wrote: »
    He probably wanted to buy it for you all along and said you didn't need one as a reason for you not to buy, thus giving him the chance to surprise you.

Then you went and gave him the silent treatment, poor chap.

Oh no, believe you me, that was not the case!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Pighead wrote: »
    Ladies, if Pighead says he's going to fix it he will. There's absolutely no need to remind him every six months about it.

Your mask is slipping, Pighead. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

PucaMama wrote: »

Were you my wife you'd be waiting another 2 months after that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Naos wrote: »
    My gf is pretty funny with it. The other day we were in Eddie Rockets having a grand aul chat. Waitress comes up takes our order, my gf stops talking to me, just giving yes/no answers.

20 mins later as we're leaving it emerges that the waitress and I were apparently flirting. (She said 'Do you want a tour of the menu', I chuckled said "no it's fine thanks" and ordered my food) Had to explain that I'm nice to everyone and I won't accept this just because I'm being nice to someone. She calmed down after a bit and gave her apologies.

I would have told her to cop on to herself. Would she like you to wear blinkers so you never have to see any other girls if, in the worst case scenario, you have to interact with them?

Used to get the silent treatment or grumpy "no i'm FINE" from an ex. Fcuking wound me up no end. I can't stand it. Say you need space and we'll discuss it later, or discuss it now, but don't fcuking mess around. Especially when it's over a complete misunderstanding or nothing at all.
    :mad:

I seldom call people for a chat, I use the phone as a functionary device just business or enquiries so calls tend to be curt and to the point. I don't particularly know why I am like that, but it was never a problem to me. But anytime I was in a relationship my phone manner has always being misinterpreted as "have I done something wrong" or "how come you never call".

Texting is actually a god send to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Millicent wrote: »
    I would have told her to cop on to herself. Would she like you to wear blinkers so you never have to see any other girls if, in the worst case scenario, you have to interact with them?

Totally agree with you - she did apologise and say she was acting silly, not like she maintains to this day that was she correct in any way.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Used to get the silent treatment or grumpy "no i'm FINE" from an ex. Fcuking wound me up no end. I can't stand it. Say you need space and we'll discuss it later, or discuss it now, but don't fcuking mess around. Especially when it's over a complete misunderstanding or nothing at all.
    :mad:

Used to get this from my ex too, sometimes with added hysterical shouting "Stop going on about it! You're always doing this!".... Doing what? "THIS!", at which point either a full scale yelling match is in the making, or I'd just give out sh*t to him, go out, have a fag, come back and apologise, and wait for the silent treatment to wear off. Couple of hours, normally.

Kids? Why would I want kids? Had one for long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Was texting the missus a few years back - I was in college at the time and she was at her home in limerick. Weather was stunning, totally unexpected for that time of the year.

She says something like "what a gorgeous day" in her text.

My reply was "Yeah it's fantastic, I would love to head home for a few months of weather like this!"

I'm from Kerry. Texts stopped. I rang her later on that evening and found that she was thick with me. Why ?

"Because I would rather go home than spend time with her"

Jesus h Christ.

• Advertisement

I like this thread its a look into all your domestic and relationship blisses.

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus but the doghouse is all uranus,

I had an ex I was always in the doghouse with. She was forever "policing" me. Opening letters, giving me a curfew to come home, checking up on me. Going home, if someone looked at me - she'd get angry and ask me if I knew them. Every woman who glanced at me, I'd get the third degree. Sometimes she'd scream at me in the street. It was awful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

old hippy wrote: »
    I had an ex I was always in the doghouse with. She was forever "policing" me. Opening letters, giving me a curfew to come home, checking up on me. Going home, if someone looked at me - she'd get angry and ask me if I knew them. Every woman who glanced at me, I'd get the third degree. Sometimes she'd scream at me in the street. It was awful :(

I hope that relationship didn't go on too long, shes a nutter. Screaming at you in the street is an out of control bullying, there was no respect for you at all. You're well rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

O-Deazy wrote: »
    The ex woke up one morning genuinely pissed off at me because she DREAMT I cheated on her with one of her college mates. Gave me dirty looks and the silent treatment for hours! Fecking wimin...

That's happened to me...except I'm the pyscho female. I woke up raging with the OH (he wasn't there) and couldn't work out why for a few hours, didn't want to reply to texts or talk to him. Then realised I'd dreamed he'd cheated and felt like an absolute spanner.

I think all women have the tendency to go psycho from time to time, it's just a case of learning to control it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

When we went to the UK for a break last year, we were running late for the airport. My boyfriend was locking the front door, so I hauled the case to the car, left it by the boot for him to put in, and sat in the front seat while texting my mother to say we were off.

Arrived at the airport only to realise he'd thought I'd put the case in the boot. We missed our flight. He also rolled over the handle of the case, which meant it was also broken. We were both in the doghouse with each other for nearly a week. I blamed him and he blamed me :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My pal went to a pre marriage course & they were discussing arguing tactics /. They were all asked to write down their arguing " style"; .then they went round the room checking each couple to see who was what! ...screamers or sulkers
    When the course organiser heard they were both sulkers he went a bit White. Said that that was the worse combination...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Abi wrote: »
    What is ignoring you going to achieve? You need to show a united front in front of your kids or they will play one off the other.

wow, a woman with rationale and common sense!

rare these days.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    When we went to the UK for a break last year, we were running late for the airport. My boyfriend was locking the front door, so I hauled the case to the car, left it by the boot for him to put in, and sat in the front seat while texting my mother to say we were off.

Arrived at the airport only to realise he'd thought I'd put the case in the boot. We missed our flight. He also rolled over the handle of the case, which meant it was also broken. We were both in the doghouse with each other for nearly a week. I blamed him and he blamed me :o

looks to me like it was 100% your fault, you should have told him to put it in and then checked that he did, at the end of the day it was your responsibility as you put it there but above all else, how in gods name did you now realise that he just sat into the car without opening the boot.Women seem to think that men are mind readers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

10 years, breathing.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I worked in a house a few years ago, I would normally be fairly tuned into what was happpening with regard to who was calling the shots etc.
    I jokingly mentioned to the husband if he was in the doghouse, oh ye was his reply, i've been in it for the last 20 yrs. I said it to friend, who confirmed that couple had'nt spoken for all that time, despite living in the same house.

Abi wrote: »
    I hope that relationship didn't go on too long, shes a nutter. Screaming at you in the street is an out of control bullying, there was no respect for you at all. You're well rid.

I haven't told you the half of it. It should never have happened at all. The only reason it trundled on was because the sex was outrageously good. But in the long run, that meant very little. It was an unpleasant period of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

mawk wrote: »
    I got cried at lately because I "don't care about the music she likes". il point out that when this happened she was wearing headphones and I dont even know who it was..

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5u42utxkZ1qff36ao1_400.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement