Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone4s hotspot question

• 21-08-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi. I recently got an iphone4s. LOVE IT!! now, i'm not a dummy when it comes to technology, but i'm not genius with it either.

I have a macbook. Use a dongle from 3 for my internet usage. 30 euro a month. With the iphone 4s I have unlimited internet usage, 40 euro a month, also with 3.

I have just found out about 'hotspot'. So, excuse me if this question has been asked a number of times already. Can i use turn my iphone4s into a hotspot and save spending the 30 euro a month on the dongle. Seeing as how i seem to be using my internet on my phone more than on my laptop now. Really only using the laptop/internet for movies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

It will work, but really depends on what network you are witha and wether or not they allow you to use your bundle to tother.
    I am with Emobile and they allow you to use your data to tether but I don't think VF,O2 and 3 allow it, they charge per MB. Tesco Mobile also allows it.

It is very handy but be careful, most "Unlimited" data plans are not at all unlimited, my cap is 15GB, if you are streaming netflix etc, it won't last very long and could lead to large bills.
    Best bet is to call your phone operator and ask is tethering covered in your data plan and ask about the fair usage policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm on the prepay, €15 per month bundle with Three and my iPhone is my Internet hotspot for my iPad an the laptop. No extra charges, no hassle, a little slow, but works fine.

So yes, ditch the dongle and save yourself some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You are not supposed to use the tethering feature at all on 3 prepay, or if you signed up to 3 billpay after Jan 1st 2012 (as is your case).

Seemingly, you still actually are able to use the hotspot feature on the iPhone at present but it could stop working at any moment, alternatively they could limit your service, cut you off or charge you extra for it.

Advertisement