Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

KI entrance exams

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

Not even something I thought about - perhaps because I'm unlikely to be devilling for a while, given that first off I'm going for the 2 year modular, and secondly, I'm tied to my employer for a number of years after completion as they're funding it (which is amazing but also frustrating!!!!).... all of which is, of course, dependent on that letter next Tuesday!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

If you have a particular master in mind, get them 2/3 years beforehand or you probably wont get them. All it takes is for one person to call them before you and you will not be able to get them.

If you dont have anyone in mind, you should be calling the second you get your results. Go here and click on the "masters list" : http://www.kingsinns.ie/website/prospective_students/prospective.htm Search for the names on the Bar Council site to see what areas they practice in.

I honestly urge you do do this asap. Leave it until during the year at your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

I have a Master in mind but was waiting for results. I had such a bad experience looking for an apprenticeship. Generally what is the procedure, do you call enquire if they are available and send them on a CV, arrange an interview etc.
    I'm very nervous about it as my undergrad results are very poor but I have a good few years managerial experience in a range of industries. I have a business and law degree. I'm putting it off if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Skittlelover

NoQuarter wrote: »
    If you have a particular master in mind, get them 2/3 years beforehand or you probably wont get them. All it takes is for one person to call them before you and you will not be able to get them.

If you dont have anyone in mind, you should be calling the second you get your results. Go here and click on the "masters list" : http://www.kingsinns.ie/website/prospective_students/prospective.htm Search for the names on the Bar Council site to see what areas they practice in.

I honestly urge you do do this asap. Leave it until during the year at your loss.

I will, thanks for that! Really am a fish outta water here!!

page1 wrote: »
    I have a Master in mind but was waiting for results. I had such a bad experience looking for an apprenticeship. Generally what is the procedure, do you call enquire if they are available and send them on a CV, arrange an interview etc.
    I'm very nervous about it as my undergrad results are very poor but I have a good few years managerial experience in a range of industries. I have a business and law degree. I'm putting it off if I'm honest.

Just call them and ask them if they are free for the year you want. Then take it from there. Different masters ask for different things. You'd be wise to try get them before everyone starts calling considering most will have the same idea as you.

Does anyone have any ideas on what type of employment opportunities there are in the event that devilling is not a financial possibility - just checking out options here!! Obviously I know this is dependent on what other background a person may have, but just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ynotonavillus

swervring wrote: »
    Does anyone have any ideas on what type of employment opportunities there are in the event that devilling is not a financial possibility - just checking out options here!! Obviously I know this is dependent on what other background a person may have, but just wondering

I am pretty sure that there are some limits on the type of work that the bar council deems acceptable for a Devil to do, Not sure if there is an actual list but I understand bar-tending is frowned upon...

Unfortunately starving to death may not be frowned upon.....:D

I am pretty sure that there are some limits on the type of work that the bar council deems acceptable for a Devil to do, Not sure if there is an actual list but I understand bar-tending is frowned upon...

Unfortunately starving to death may not be frowned upon.....:D

I think he meant as opposed to deviling. Well lots from my year are gone off to do other stuff, banks and financial institutes etc but as you say, totally depends on your background. The BL isnt as good as you might think in the current climate.

I think he meant as opposed to deviling. Well lots from my year are gone off to do other stuff, banks and financial institutes etc but as you say, totally depends on your background. The BL isnt as good as you might think in the current climate.

Thanks for the replies, you're right, I did mean as opposed to devilling (I'm not, however, a he ;)). I've always wanted to do the BL but this is really the first time its been a possibility for me so taking it with both hands - I've become kind of stuck where I'm working so I'm hoping that they'll maybe give me more opportunity with this but can't guarantee it so was just looking to see what other possibilities could be out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cantabile

tomorrow!!!!! tension!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 MaryPopins

I don't think an evening has ever passed so slow in my life!

Best of luck everyone! :D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Fear not, it speeds up when you're waiting for cheques! ;)

Cantabile wrote: »
    tomorrow!!!!! tension!!!

Tension..........

I am sitting in Geneva half Sozzeled, With a bottle of Irish Mist in front of me and not sure whether to lie on the bed and pretend to sleep, or drink it and pretend that it is an early start on Consolations/celebrations.

Whats more I need to be at a job 4 miles away at 7.30am....... just is case the news from Henrietta Street is bad!!!!! And I just gave back the car that I had a loan of so either drunk or sober Thats an hours walk at 6.30 am...

And the Bottle is saying ! "Drink Me Drink me, just a little more, twill do no harm"..... that s TENSION!!!!!

Best of luck to all....

Remember the Law of economics........€ 13,000 for a seat at the back of the class.........

My advice.... get the envelope tomorrow and refuse to open it until Wednesday noon.....in honour of Nietze

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"

This is tension........

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cliff grebouwski

Beer, check, valium check.

Whatever happens, i'll sleep well tonight!

Best of luck everyone.

Don't know if the post will have arrived before I have to leave in the morning...... Ahhhhhhhhhhh

And it hasn't! Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

I was told yesterday that the results will be on the website at some point today, think it's the kimm.kingsinns.ie part of the site, although there's no sign as yet.

Best of luck, everybody - anyone who made it through that week on one piece deserves a medal, just hope the results go everybody's way.

And it hasn't! Best of luck everyone

Results are up on the site now, fingers crossed....

where?!

• Advertisement

Go to results, Barrister at Law Degree on the first dropdown and 2012/2013 on the second.

I love you

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

I passed, so delighted I was fretting all morning. Roll on Oct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

page1 wrote: »
    I passed, so delighted I was fretting all morning. Roll on Oct!

Well done! Managed it too - best mark was in Contract ha ha. No idea how that happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cantabile

See y'all in October!

Well done everyone! Delighted!

What a 'summer'...

:D

• Advertisement

I love you

No worries. Feeling a lot of love for humanity myself at the moment, things have been pretty much like >this< since I got the post.

But I couldn't have done it without ... an extended hiatus from Boards.

Ahhh what a lovely letter to get PASS congratulations everyone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Well done everyone!

Eeeeep the relief! See ye all for 8am induction!

DeJa VU......... with a difference... sitting in Geneva half sozzled... but no tension.... see you all in October... a few Irish eyes*, and a letter, have taken care of the tension,

Now to find a place, in the big smoke, to live ......

Congrats to all...
    :D

*( Creme de Menth, Baileys, and Irish Mist, in the same glass makes a green white and gold striped drink, which has a very mellowing effect)

• Advertisement

Anyone contacted barrister for devilling yet?? I'm very hungover think itl be calls tomorrow morning before work. Don't even know what to say so I guess it'll give me time to think. Ironically, I'm a terrible talker!

No chance to celebrate yesterday but I'm making the most of the next two weeks before i say goodbye to my life for the next two years!! Anyone else doing the modular BL & wondering just how hard its gonna be???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Firstly, Congratulations to everyone who passed. Well Done and best of luck with starting at the Inns.

I am just starting a law degree but do eventually aim to sit the KI exams. I just have a quick query:

If you fail, you can re-sit the Entrance Examination in two subsequent years only. Regardless of the number of subjects that you have failed any re-sit of the entrance examination will be a full re-sit of all of the subjects.

The above is from the KI FAQ - I am just trying to get a full understanding of this.
    If say I did the 2013 entrance exam and failed. Does this mean I have to take the exam again in 2014. If I fail 2014 I have one more shot in 2015. If I fail again, that's it? Never a chance of getting into KI?
    Also if I failed in 2013, can I wait for 2 years before attempting again or do you have to sit the next year's sitting.

Thanks - I know no one wants to be discussing failure at this time but I was just interest is all.

Cheers

@Uriel.

Yep, you've got the right interpretation. I don't believe the attempts have to be consecutive. Don't worry though, if I can get in, anyone can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

MaryPopins wrote: »
    @Uriel.

Yep, you've got the right interpretation. I don't believe the attempts have to be consecutive. Don't worry though, if I can get in, anyone can!

haha. Well Done.
    It'll be at least 2 years before I sit the exams... Lots to learn in the mean time.

Must be exciting for you now though!! October is just around the corner

Induction day less than two weeks away!! Butterflies.... still getting over the fact that I actually passed, was so surprised!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chki12

Passed. Just. :). I'll be coming up from Galway and thought it might be good to get a place with others in the Inns. Anyone in the same situation?

Induction day less than two weeks away!! Butterflies.... still getting over the fact that I actually passed, was so surprised!!!

Same as that I had the whole "I failed" speech prepared, I didn't know what ta tell anyone when I passed!!!!

Just seen that the timetable has gone up on the website and it looks like I may be missing at least one day of if not both days of the Ethics Unit - what are they like about missing weekends?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Just seen that the timetable has gone up on the website and it looks like I may be missing at least one day of if not both days of the Ethics Unit - what are they like about missing weekends?

Did you miss the note on compulsory attendance?

• Advertisement

I did indeed see all of the information about compulsory attendance but also the note that students may submit absence certificates for up to 10% of the course. I was just wondering if anyone had experience of actually missing sessions on the course

I did contact KI directly about it and they have come back and said that the weekend in question is 6 sessions, and "you would find yourself in trouble if you missed a total of 22 sessions".

Missing more than 22 sessions is nothing short of a disaster for yourself. It involves a collosal amount of work. I'd rather sit through class with ebola than go one over the 22.

Just to clarify, I had no intention of missing anything at all, it's just that the wedding abroad of a really close friend is one of the weekends - don't want to miss that either. I just wanted to sound people out that are in the know as to whether it would be manageable to catch up on one weekend, appreciate the feedback thank you!

Just to clarify, I had no intention of missing anything at all, it's just that the wedding abroad of a really close friend is one of the weekends - don't want to miss that either. I just wanted to sound people out that are in the know as to whether it would be manageable to catch up on one weekend, appreciate the feedback thank you!

Feel free to miss anything up to 21 classes basically. Just make sure you save some for when you really need it. I missed about 15 and every one of them was from a hang over.

Feel free to miss anything up to 21 classes basically. Just make sure you save some for when you really need it. I missed about 15 and every one of them was from a hang over.

Thanks, really appreciate the advice - I missed a lot of my undergrad which is totally different so kinda stepping into the unknown - hoping to avoid being too hungover to go in at any point but we'll see!!! :)

Does this apply to full timers also??!

Does this apply to full timers also??!

That is for full timers. I assume its the same fore part-timers by what swerving said.

Advertisement