Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Landlords opinion re: Bills

Options
  • 21-08-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi I'm just looking for opinions on responsibility for bills ,

Been living in house just over 2 years, the landlord issued individual leases for all 4 tenants, we are only responsible for rent of our own room, eg. in the past if someone moved out she advertises, picks new tenant and we are not responsible to pay extra rent if room is vacant. The other 3 tenants have given notice to move out at end of month (just the way it worked out for them with college/work, not because of me) anyway I plan to stay on an extra month (will give required 30 day notice as stated in lease). I'm just wondering where I stand with bills, obviously I will be responsible for any amount payable on utilities when I take final meter reading on day I move out, but as the electricity bill (bord gais) is held in the name of one of the tenants moving out, Bord Gais electricity require another a/c name within 10 days or they will disconnect, so whoever takes over this bill will be liable for initial outlay of 200 euro deposit (refunded to a/c after 6 months). Basically I don't want to take this bill in my name as leaving in a month anyway and I have already took responsibility of one utility (I paid the 200 deposit, and got it back), the bill can revert back to landlords name without 200 euro deposit but she would have to provide direct debit details. If she is not willing to do this where do I stand, obviously can't live in the house if \Bord Gais cut power, also who would be responsible for reconnection fee in unlikely event it went that far.

Also concerned that landlord may try and withhold my desposit if she finds any problems with common living area (usually she just checks tenants room) as I will be the last one in house, from hearing from previous tenants she uses any excuse to hold back chunks of deposit. Also in case its relevant she hasn't advertised other rooms yet, so the whole house may be vacant for my last month so I will already be paying for whole bills which used to be split 5 ways.

Cheers,
    Donal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If it's only another 30 days have you any mates couches you can bum on for the few weeks. You could be left holding the can if you don't get enough money out of your house mates to cover all the bills might be as easy just go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Donal27

Hi Drunk Monkey,

Cheers for reply, I think others will cover their bills when they leave, they are fairly decent. I don't mind covering bills for month on my own, I just don't want to pay another month rent (no chance of using deposit as last months rent), pay bills and still get chunk taken out of my deposit. I could move out at end of this month without giving notice and bum on friends couch, but then I lose 475 deposit and have the hassle of finding somewhere else in a hurry. I've been burnt before by a landlord (paid rent in full, house perfect, bills sorted, notice given) no deposit given back I even left the fecker with a full tank of oil Grrr. i suppose it just working out which is gonna cost me more.

Donal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd be amazed if the ESB disconnected service within the month. I've seen how slowly they move to disconnect, even when requsted!

Good point, but knowing my luck I'd get the only efficient member of the BordGais electricity department and really wouldn't fancy going home to no electricity. Feck it might just have to bite the bullet, move out and risk losing whole deposit, that money could have funded an electric picnic weekend for meself (or my next deposit for new place if I was sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

When we were changing the name on an ESB bill we had to keep ringing them and ringing to get it put in the new name, so the account ended up being 'nameless' for 4 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

If the meter is inside don't worry about it, if an ESB Networks technician calls out to de energise the site simply deny him access to the meter and he'll be on his merry way.

I'm not in any way suggesting that you don't pay the bill however.

Hi Bassey,

Thanks for that, the meter is inside so they won't be able to gain access. i will be paying bill just dont' want it in my name.

Cheers

Advertisement