Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Releasing Daws ????

Options
  • 21-08-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Long time lurker, first time poster to this forum but have been a Spurs fan for 30+ years.

I can't believe the rumour today of Michael Dawson possibly being sold to QPR.

I know he has been a little injury prone but he has given blood, literally, in the cause THFC and has been our most assured and competent CB.

Given AVB's "revolution" perhaps he doesn't think that Daws has the gazelle like speed for his formations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

personally disgusted that we are playing gallas and selling dawson.

getting very worried at this stage. hudd on loan? dawson out? bassong out? modric out? who is coming in???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

We've been talking about this in the Gossip thread, with mixed feelings. Personally I have faith in AVB. If he feels that Daws isn't the type of defender we need, or would prefer to give Caulker the chance to play more often, I'm with him, especially if we can earn and then reinvest the transfer money.

I have always liked Daws as he comes across as a very likeable character, and he's an excellent defender who has had very bad luck with injuries. We have to consider that he might want to be playing regularly too, especially as I'm sure he'd like more England caps.

Great servant to the club and I'll wish him well if he goes, but I won't be too upset as long as some quality is brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I like Dawson but he has never developed into a Terry type player that he seemed to have the potential to become. I'd rather him over Gallas alright but the fact is he is 3rd choice at very most and it's only the like of QPR and Stoke that are interested. If we get upwards of £7 million for him then you've got to say it's a great deal for a reserve CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Hope he is not shipped out, am miffed that AVB considers Gallas to be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

7.5 yrs at Spurs

good servant for the club

played his part in some good seasons

always gave it his all which is more than can be said for some of the frauds he's played with

sad to see him go but he no longer 1st choice and he needs to play regularly

good luck to the lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

7.5 yrs at Spurs

good servant for the club

played his part in some good seasons

always gave it his all which is more than can be said for some of the frauds he's played with

sad to see him go but he no longer 1st choice and he needs to play regularly

good luck to the lad

Nicely put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

£9M for Daws:eek:

Happy days , Genius Levy strikes again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

Wishing him the best of luck, hope it works out for him. Surprised that QPR are paying £7.5 mill (possibly 10).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I think we are fooling ourselves if we think Levy is going to plough the money back into the squad. I'll eat my hat if we spent £5-10m on a new CB in the next few days. This is the same Daniel Levy that wouldnt sanction the funds for us to sign Cahill last Jan. The books have to be balenced first and foremost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Is he definitely gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Disappointed to see Dawson leave tbh,why is Gallas being kept?

staker wrote: »
    Is he definitely gone?

SSN are reporting that we have accepted a £9.5m offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I wish Dawson all the best, he was a fantastic servant for us, none more so than in the 10/11 season, whenever himself and King were together we looked rock solid. That said I'm not too disappointed to see him go, Gallas, Vert, Kaboul and Caulker are better than him and Caulker especially needs the game time this season. My worry though is that if 2 of those are injured/suspended, we're very light on cover, with Bassong gone as well and Khumalo out on loan. With the EL, we really need minimum 5 CBs, that said, £15m for Daws and Seba, yes please!!

I think we are fooling ourselves if we think Levy is going to plough the money back into the squad. I'll eat my hat if we spent £5-10m on a new CB in the next few days. This is the same Daniel Levy that wouldnt sanction the funds for us to sign Cahill last Jan. The books have to be balenced first and foremost.

Do we need to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Do we need to ?

Could probably do with a right back / centre half.. Both Kaboul and Vertonghen can play right and left back respectively but Walker has no natural replacement? BAE has Naughton.

Could probably do with a right back / centre half.. Both Kaboul and Vertonghen can play right and left back respectively but Walker has no natural replacement? BAE has Naughton.

I think we are ok.

RF - Walker/Naughton/Kaboul/Gallas
    CB - Kaboul / Vert/ Gallas / Caulker
    LF - BAE / Naughton / Vert / Bale

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I think we are ok.

RF - Walker/Naughton/Kaboul/Gallas
    CB - Kaboul / Vert/ Gallas / Caulker
    LF - BAE / Naughton / Vert / Bale
    What about the CC & EL though? Don't think 4 CBs is enough to cover us for 4 competitions. Gallas will get injured, a.n. other will get suspended, likely at the same time, which would leave us with 2 CBs. The more I think about this the worse it sounds, especially now that the figure seems only to be £5.5m

THFC wrote: »
    What about the CC & EL though? Don't think 4 CBs is enough to cover us for 4 competitions. Gallas will get injured, a.n. other will get suspended, likely at the same time, which would leave us with 2 CBs. The more I think about this the worse it sounds, especially now that the figure seems only to be £5.5m

I read that Daws fee was 7 up front with add ons to 9. Forest get a small percentage too i think. If Hudd stays, he can play centre Half, and if need be, Jake has played there a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Do we need to ?
    No we don't.I'd like another striker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Liked Dawson a lot and he will be missed. However, it's a decent chunk of change for a player that's had a season out and has looked more than shakey since coming back. Just.. given our CB problems of the last few seasons, not sure about only having 3 experienced CBs.

• Advertisement

Do we need to ?

You only have to look at United the other night. They have Ferdinand, vidic, smalling and Jones on their books and they end up playing Carrick at CB which ultimetly cost them the game when Moyes very cleverly put Fellani up against Carrick..

So having a 5th CB is advisable considering Gallas needs to be replaced, caulker is inexperienced, Vert will need to adjust to EPL and kaboul is a confidence player who needs a decent CB beside him to operate at his best.

But a replacement should only be brought in if he's better then the other going player...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

You only have to look at United the other night. They have Ferdinand, vidic, smalling and Jones on their books and they end up playing Carrick at CB which ultimetly cost them the game when Moyes very cleverly put Fellani up against Carrick..

So having a 5th CB is advisable considering Gallas needs to be replaced, caulker is inexperienced, Vert will need to adjust to EPL and kaboul is a confidence player who needs a decent CB beside him to operate at his best.

But a replacement should only be brought in if he's better then the other going player...

I'd agree with all of this.

I've never felt so aggrieved with a player being hustled out the door.
    It's mindboggling, one of the few players that always gives 100% and actually knows the meaning of loyalty.

If I were in his shoes I'd refuse to leave, especially to OPR. Knowing how Spurs operate, AVB won't be in the job too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I'd agree with all of this.

I've never felt so aggrieved with a player being hustled out the door.
    It's mindboggling, one of the few players that always gives 100% and actually knows the meaning of loyalty.

If I were in his shoes I'd refuse to leave, especially to OPR. Knowing how Spurs operate, AVB won't be in the job too long.

You'll get over it mate, head over heart, Caulker needs to progress this season, would Dawson be happy to play fourth choice centre half? No but William Gallas probably would...

As for AVB.. Just back the team and let him be judged on results..

^^^^ Yeah me too. He's a good pro and still a top CB in the EPL.

Sure AVB needs pacey defenders to suit his style but there will always be opposition like stoke, everton etc that you need a Dawson style player for...

If things dont work out with AVB we will regret this sale and knowing our record we'll buy him back!

I think this is more of a DL sale then a AVB one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I agree with everyone's sentiments with regard to Dawson's loyalty.

But, in fairness, a £9m offer for a fourth or fifth choice player is too hard to turn down.

AVB was brought in to look to the future. Gallas is the experience about the training ground, and has played the highline at Arsenal. He's there to ease the path of Kaboul, Vertongen and Caulker.

Is the Fryers deal still going through the tribunal system? He'll add good cover in the left back position and can play centre back in weaker tournaments, for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Sad to see Dawson go, if he does. But the reported 7-9 Million we get in return is great. At times he seemed emense, Other times, like when city ripped us apart he looked slow and second rate.

There seems to be a lot of slating of AVB here. The guy has been brough in to change the way we play, to do that he needs to change some personel. We could have just stuck with good old Harry " no tactics" Redknapp and been content with finishing fourth, if we wanted to keep average players. I willing to give the man 3 years and see where he can take us. I liked the way we played against Newcastle and its still early days. I see a good year ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

We have 4 centre backs when he leaves, plus Walker if needs be. Very few clubs have more options than that.

The books should be balanced. Only fools spend money they don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Sir Alex probably sees carrick as there 5th CB though as hes played there 15/20 times over the last couple of seasons and hes looked competent.

The problem for us, IMO, is that a decent quality CB isnt going to be happy being 4th choice at a club the stature of spurs, like Dawson. Im just not sure how wed be able to sell that position to a potential player coming in during negotiations.

For Chelsea, City and United its more straightforward because they can gauruntee trophies and a fat wage packet even if they arent playing. Were not able to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Sir Alex probably sees carrick as there 5th CB though as hes played there 15/20 times over the last couple of seasons and hes looked competent.

The problem for us, IMO, is that a decent quality CB isnt going to be happy being 4th choice at a club the stature of spurs, like Dawson. Im just not sure how wed be able to sell that position to a potential player coming in during negotiations.

For Chelsea, City and United its more straightforward because they can gauruntee trophies and a fat wage packet even if they arent playing. Were not able to do that

Well said. It shouldn't be a problem though. Most clubs have a max of 4 centre backs. Chelsea have Essien as their 5th choice. City have used De Jong. We have Walker, who has played many times for QPR and Sheff United at centre back, and only became a full time full back at the start of last season.

We ought to be fine with the 4. It's not like the old days when we had King and Woodgate injured all the time. Touch wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

oppiuy wrote: »

There seems to be a lot of slating of AVB here. The guy has been brough in to change the way we play, to do that he needs to change some personel. We could have just stuck with good old Harry " no tactics" Redknapp and been content with finishing fourth

I will be content with finishing fourth no problems at all. If AVB achieves that he will have done an amazing job.

Advertisement