Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to hide cables?

• 21-08-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I've just installed warmboard throughout the downstairs of my house. We've mounted the tv on an interior concrete wall but to get signal, a cable has to reach an exterior wall and there is a door in the way. I am looking for a way to tidy up the tv signal and the power cable that go from the exterior wall along the skirting, up around the door frame and down the other side, then along the skirting and up to the tv.

I can use a cable tidy to get from the tv down to the ground but I dont think that would look well along the skirting and around the door. Would anyone have any ideas?

The walls are solid concrete and the floors are semi solid. There is no way of raising the floors without damaging them. The only viable option i have is running the two cables as described above but with two cables (power and signal) it will look messy just with clips.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

May be possible, I think, to get a wireless transmitter, similar to a cordless phone. It'll transmit the tv signal from the source and then at the TV end you have your receiver.

Hope this helps, have a look in Maplin Electronics in town, beside Jervis centre or there's one in blanchardstown centre too

hope this helps

Rich

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

engrish? wrote: »
    I've just installed warmboard throughout the downstairs of my house. We've mounted the tv on an interior concrete wall but to get signal, a cable has to reach an exterior wall and there is a door in the way. I am looking for a way to tidy up the tv signal and the power cable that go from the exterior wall along the skirting, up around the door frame and down the other side, then along the skirting and up to the tv.

I can use a cable tidy to get from the tv down to the ground but I dont think that would look well along the skirting and around the door. Would anyone have any ideas?

The walls are solid concrete and the floors are semi solid. There is no way of raising the floors without damaging them. The only viable option i have is running the two cables as described above but with two cables (power and signal) it will look messy just with clips.

Thanks!

You can buy cable management trunking lengths that looks like a small piece of moulded skirting board.

Sticky backed and you stick them on the existing skirting board.they do blend in rather well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

You could also pop off the skirting board and architrave and run the cables behind it. It usually works out as there can be quite a bit of space behind the skirting as the wall plaster does not run all the way to the ground. There are usually grooves on the back of skirting board too, the cables might be able to sit in these.

Just be careful not to drive the nail/screw through the cable when you are reattaching.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    You could also pop off the skirting board and architrave and run the cables behind it. It usually works out as there can be quite a bit of space behind the skirting as the wall plaster does not run all the way to the ground. There are usually grooves on the back of skirting board too, the cables might be able to sit in these.

Just be careful not to drive the nail/screw through the cable when you are reattaching.

Thats a good option there. If there isn't a channel in the skirting already you could use a router to put one in yourself, in particular if you're looking to run multiple cables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Is it possible to bring the cables down from the ceiling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭eddie.g

is the wall a timber stud wall?

if so you could hide the cables inside the wall up to the attic.

and if you are at an external wall you could fish the cables up inside the cavity into the attic.

The OP states thats its a "concrete" wall...in his opening post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I think an AV sender like this is probably the easiest solution:
    http://www.satellitetv.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=249
    I've used one in a large pub where it was almost impossible to run a cable and its working like a dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

red sean wrote: »
    I think an AV sender like this is probably the easiest solution:
    http://www.satellitetv.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=249
    I've used one in a large pub where it was almost impossible to run a cable and its working like a dream.

OP needs a power cable as well. . .

Just get a grinder and hammer and cut/chase out a 1.5 inch wide and 1.5 inch deep track in the wall.

Install a length or 2 of plastic oval or round conduit.

Run your cables down it,and then fill the chase/track with a sand/cement mix and then some skim.

Leave to dry out for around a week,Then repaint the wall.

Job done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement