Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Higher level maths - what now?

Options
  • 21-08-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

So after my results came back few days ago, I couldn't believe I failed maths.
    If i passed it, i would get 355 points and get to a college. Now that i failed my HL maths, I do not know what to do.

My question is, what are the possibilities? I would really want to do a HL maths LC ONLY without going to school for the year. I really don't want to come back to 6th year. Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

axonn wrote: »
    Hi there,

If i passed it, i would get 355 points and get to a college. Now that i failed my HL maths, I do not know what to do.

My question is, what are the possibilities? I would really want to do a HL maths LC ONLY without going to school for the year. I really don't want to come back to 6th year. Is this possible?

Yes. You can just do the study wherever and apply for the exam again. Any improvement in maths (pass) will not be added onto your 355 but it will allow you to go university then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Good debate on newstalk now about the new maths system.

Hi there,

It is possible but you'll have to keep your points from this year and pass nathan on its own to allow you to get a place on most courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 axonn

Wait so you are telling me that If i apply for maths exam next year and if i pass it, it will add onto my current points or what?

Right now, i have 285 points because maths is failed. So if i pass it, i will have 355+ ? And i need 350 points at least.

Also any info how can i apply for that?

You can only take points from one leaving cert. no adding on. You can pass the maths so the college will accept you.

Or you could repeat the whole exam, 6 subjects and try to get more points total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Wait so you are telling me that If i apply for maths exam next year and if i pass it, it will add onto my current points or what?

Right now, i have 285 points because maths is failed. So if i pass it, i will have 355+ ? And i need 350 points at least.

Also any info how can i apply for that?

If you repeat just Maths and pass your points stay at 285, regardless of grade achieved in Maths exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No, you can't add it on to your current points.

You can take maths separately if you only need it to satisfy the minimum requirements for a course, but not to add on to / increase your points.

If you have your heart set on a course with 350 points, and there is no attractive alternative route through a PLC, you're probably looking at repeating your full LC, I'm afraid.

Btw, did you only do 6 subjects? ... given that you say you have 285 points, and imply you don't have a sixth subject to count for points without maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Some universities allow you to resit a maths exam if you failed before the start of the college year and if you pass that then you might get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

buyer95 wrote: »
    Some universities allow you to resit a maths exam if you failed before the start of the college year and if you pass that then you might get in?
    Not given that s/he's well off the points for the course s/he wants ... that only works if the person has enough points but maths is a minimum requirement for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lumie

You should apply to view your script, that way you can work out the percentage you failed by, and see if a recheck would be good. I was watching TV3 the other day and a guy on it said around 20% or more of rechecks go up marks. Good idea to get rechecked as you don't have to worry about going down in marks.

Also be aware that if you repeat this year, you'll have to do the new maths course, both paper 1 and 2 in Project Maths. Big shock for me last year, as I did my original LC in '08, when PJ didn't exist. It was hard to adjust.

Also look into any PLC you could do to get into your course. You might find that better then having to repeat for the year. Good Luck:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement