Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secret eaters

• 21-08-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Are you a secret eater without knowing it.
    I constantly graze on food around the house,in the office or when I drop into town.
    I exercise a lot and keep active but if I didn't I would be fuked.
    Do you stick to 3 meals a day for your grub or snack a lot,as a nation we seem to be getting fatter and it's most likely down to snacking or eating excess junk food.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I was in Cavan over the past few days, staying in a house directly opposite a Supervalu. The house I was in didn't really have much in the way of snacks, so I was in that shops 4/5 times a day buying chocolate (my friends have now decided I'm a woman).

If you're on first name terms with a checkout woman after a day, you know you buy/eat too much rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'm a secret lemonade drinker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I'm a fat bastard if thats what your implying OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Sappa wrote: »
    I constantly graze on food around the house,in the office or when I drop into town.
    I exercise a lot and keep active but if I didn't I would be fuked.
    Do you stick to 3 meals a day for your grub or snack a lot,as a nation we seem to be getting fatter and it's most likely down to snacking or eating excess junk food.

How is it possible to eat without knowing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Not really no, and I've thankfully never had a sweet tooth. I always hated at christmas time, or someones birthday in a job. There would be tins or boxes of chocolates going around, they always looked at me like there was something wrong with me for saying no. And this 'ah gwan, it's only a sweet ffs' mentality pissed me off. I'm not going to eat rubbish for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Abi wrote: »
    Not really no, and I've thankfully never had a sweet tooth. I always hated at christmas time, or someones birthday in a job. There would be tins or boxes of chocolates going around, they always looked at me like there was something wrong with me for saying no. And this 'ah gwan, it's only a sweet ffs' mentality pissed me off. I'm not going to eat rubbish for the sake of it.
    That's a good attitude to have

Generally I just eat 3 meals per day and do very little if any snacking especially during the week. Weekends I usually only eat two meals as breakfast would be eaten much later and would be a big fry for breakfast both saturday and sunday and then dinner in the evening, unless Im on the beer then there would be the inevitable 3am feed!! Might have an odd snack during the weekend but not often really.

I don't eat much chocolate or sweets at all, maybe 2 or 3 squares of chocolate after dinner and possibly a bit of cake on a friday after lunch as someone usually brings a cake to work friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I'm impressed by the lack of snacking culture in France. I remember doing an exchange there when I was a kid, and kids were just not allowed snack in a way that was far more dogmatically applied than in Ireland or the UK.

Here, many parents tend to give food as a reward or a silencer outside of meals time, which most French parents seem to regard with a little horror.

It's definitely something I will try to avoid with my kids. Snacking and giving food treats is just not a good habit to have them get into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I only ever eat when I feel hungry. Don't really stick to a regimen. I could easily go for 2 days per month without eating anything at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I constantly graze on food around the house,in the office or when I drop into town.....

Do you live on your own, work on your own and go to town on your own ?

If not, you must be very good at keeping secrets !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I only ever eat when I feel hungry. Don't really stick to a regimen. I could easily go for 2 days per month without eating anything at all.
    :eek:

Not sure how advisable that is either; even just in terms of a dietary requirement for fibre to keep the digestive system going. Sorry for being a little gross but does that not cause serious constipation?:o

Lapin wrote: »
    I constantly graze on food around the house,in the office or when I drop into town.....

Do you live on your own, work on your own and go to town on your own ?

If not, you must be very good at keeping secrets !
    The term secret eater is someone who eats impulsively,walk into the kitchen grab a handful of almonds,out for a walk take a banana with you,in the car have a bag of nuts and raisins all this plus the 3 meals a day eating automatically when not even hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

later12 wrote: »
    It's definitely something I will try to avoid with my kids. Snacking and giving food treats is just not a good habit to have them get into.
    You've the right attitude. When I see an overweight child theres often an overweight parent or parents. Parents need to swap the processed rubbish for fruit, and send them out to play rather than spend the day on a play station. and need to be more active themselves as well as being realistic about what they're eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

3 meals a day isn't really the best way to eat for keeping weight down. It's actually better to eat plenty of small meals rather than 3 large ones.

If you eat less your body stores more as fat when it gets the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I eat 5 times a day, no more, no less. Porridge at 8, toast at 11, main meal at 1:30-2, fruit&veg smoothie at 4:30 and crackers with tuna or peanut butter at 7.

I used to be awful for snacking and always had a sweet tooth, but by planning out my meals like above, I have no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not sure how advisable that is either; even just in terms of a dietary requirement for fibre to keep the digestive system going. Sorry for being a little gross but does that not cause serious constipation?:o

Not really tbh.. my bowels work like clockwork =p

I dunno, that's just the way I've been since college. I don't really see the merit in eating square meals and so on. Maybe it's just something to do with my own setup though.. I rarely crave food but when I eat I eat as healthily as possible.

As for the fasting bit, there's a growing body of evidence to suggest that it has many health benefits. There was actually a Horizon documentary about it a few weeks ago - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im sadly sometimes guilty of this. I try to stick to 3 meals a day from Monday to Friday and a bit of a blowout on the weekends but often my emotions can get the better of me and I often use food to comfort myself, example after a hard day at work, I can down a huge pizza, coke and then chocolate! And this is after being so good all day. I will also graze on treats if my workmates bring them in. My biggest vice is chocolate, I use it to comfort myself. Even though I have got some help in the past before and I can see whats happening (using food as a coping mechanism) I still find it v hard to stop it at times.

Im getting better though :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at set times and then I have many coffees between each meal and in the evening. The coffees are my snacks I guess, because I make them compulsively and wouldn't want to break the habit.

I think 3 meals a day works for me, and there's a lot to be said for routine. That's not to say that I don't look forward to a lovely big pastry or a heap of cheese and wine at the weekends but I don't make a secret of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have my breakfast every morning about an hour after I get up. It consists of ready brek, 2 types of muesli, fruit granola and a yoghurt (all mixed in the one bowl). I have a cup if tea afterwards. I then don't eat until dinner time which is usually around 5:30 and that's it I don't eat anything after that and I can honestly say I'm never hungry. I eat very little rubbish (crisps, sweets, chocolate etc) but would have theoddcan of coke now and then, maybe one or two a week. Usually on Friday or Saturday evening we have a Chinese or Indian take away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tend to eat only when hungry, never eat much before mid afternoon and I can't eat as much as I used to. I'm that much of a food lightweight that I've been ill after Xmas day the last 2 years :o

Never, ever eat any sweets, cake, biscuits brought into work and thankfully they all know me well enough now not to try insist i have some. They also don't usually push me to go on planned lunches with them cos they know it's not my thing.....either that or they think I'm a cunt and don't want me in their company :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Snacking on healthy foods is good for you. It speeds up your metabolism.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I read a paper that looked at fat, skinny and average sized people under lab conditions, monitoring their input over a few weeks, while the subjects wrote down their food intake. What they found as a pretty consistent thing was fat people eat more than they think, skinny people eat less and average people have a good handle on what the consume. Having lived with heavy and scrawny people I'd go along with that too. Another factor is the skinny person who eats one big meal in the evening. A mate of mine is like that and her flatmate would always be saying "oh she eats like a horse, an even bigger meal than me". What she didn't notice was she rarely ate a breakfast had a snack for lunch and never grazed.

Naw. I'd fast regularly enough. Couple of times a month anyway. Never had much of an appetite. No constipation problems at all from doing so and my fibre intake would be low enough anyway(rarely eat grains for example). This idea of regular meals is quite the new thing for our species. Your caveman types are variable. Some days they graze, some days they stuff themselves until fit to burst and others they don't much of anything. It's a provable way to better regulate insulin levels. Personally speaking I'd go so far as to say if you get dizzy without food for a day there's something wrong.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I eat 3 times a day and fruit in between as snacks.
    I never eat choclate or cakes etc.
    I excerise a few times a week and always stay the same weight.
    Was fat as a kid and have no intention of going down that road again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

If I am training heavily I wont eat any bad stuff. If I deprive myself of anything nice I end up eating some in my sleep. Will be totally unaware I have eaten them (Chocolate, sweets, cake etc) until I notice stuff is gone or am told I was stood in the kitchen munchin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I have my 3 meals with fruit/veg as snacks if I'm hungry in between which is rarely! I eat very little rubbish, as someone above mentioned I was fat as a kid and like them have no intention of going back there either! Spend too much time at the gym to undo it eating rubbish!

ScumLord wrote: »
    3 meals a day isn't really the best way to eat for keeping weight down. It's actually better to eat plenty of small meals rather than 3 large ones.

That's not true

personally i'm giving intermittent fasting a go out of curiosity
    all that insulin decrease longer life stuff, interesting to try out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

I don't, which would explain why I'm almost 6ft and only 58kg :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Complete myth. Zero scientific evidence exists to support that idea. Same goes for the time you eat at, it doesn't make a difference - we just tend to associate evening time with higher consumption. The only danger with eating too little is not getting proper nutrition, & allowing your glucose levels to run low as your liver only stores enough for 24 hours.

Keeping an online food journal is definitely a great idea if you want to lose weight. It's not that you don't know how much you eat, it's just impossible to weigh up the calories & nutritional values without having something to log the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I thought this was going to be about Secret bars. I is disappoint

• Advertisement

I thought this was going to be about Secret bars. I is disappoint

She won't be laughing when she realises he was smuggling heroin in that chocolate bar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Just seen this on bbc.co.uk,
    geneticist Frances Ashcroft says that everyone should give up eating for a day a week.
    http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120815-dont-eat-one-day-a-week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Same goes for the time you eat at, it doesn't make a difference - we just tend to associate evening time with higher consumption.
    So eating close to bed time is ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

If I lived in America id be fat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Im sadly sometimes guilty of this. I try to stick to 3 meals a day from Monday to Friday and a bit of a blowout on the weekends but often my emotions can get the better of me and I often use food to comfort myself, example after a hard day at work, I can down a huge pizza, coke and then chocolate! And this is after being so good all day. I will also graze on treats if my workmates bring them in. My biggest vice is chocolate, I use it to comfort myself. Even though I have got some help in the past before and I can see whats happening (using food as a coping mechanism) I still find it v hard to stop it at times.

Im getting better though :cool:

I'm the exact same. Chocolate is my stress buddy. And bread. It is mindless eating. I eat out of boredom too, and I tend to associate celebrations with food - going out for dinner for a birthday etc.

My appetite is actually tiny; I might not need anything to eat after lunch for the rest of the day, and I'm rarely hungry enough in the morning for breakfast. My meal patterns are all over the shop because I work different shifts, although it's marginally better in college.

I should be quite thin but it's the boredom and emotional eating that's made me borderline overweight, according to my BMI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

What's the difference between eating at night and at any other time of the day?

Anyway, I snack all day. I rarely have 3 meals a day. Actually, I never do. All my food intake comes from snacking...but mostly snacking on good stuff! Don't like eating meals. Eating too much in one sitting makes me feel sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

brummytom wrote: »
    I was in Cavan over the past few days, staying in a house directly opposite a Supervalu. The house I was in didn't really have much in the way of snacks, so I was in that shops 4/5 times a day buying chocolate (my friends have now decided I'm a woman).

If you're on first name terms with a checkout woman after a day, you know you buy/eat too much rubbish.

I know where you LIIIIIVE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Grazing isn't bad if it's healthy, but grazing tends to be unhealthy stuff as you're not putting much effort into prep. I found I tended to go for anything in a handy packet. Beyond the obvious, bread is a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

So how would you know if you don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I'm always snacking. A lot of the time out of pure boredom. Sometimes I even skip meals (excluding breakfast which I very rarely have) especially in college when I just can't be arsed preparing a meal or going to the effort of buying one.

Ocassionally I try to limit myself to proper meals but it rarely lasts. I've an awful sweet tooth also but thankfully it hasn't really done me too much harm yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭zuzuzu

This is me!!!........ and people always move slowly away from me when I inform them that I don't drink tea either..... Blows their mind!! :D

• Advertisement

Yep. Your basal metabolic rate is measured over a 24 hour period. You might have trouble sleeping if you have a big meal but the amount of energy you metabolize from the food doesn't change.

The human body is highly efficient at utilizing calories. It's not like the absorption of vitamins & minerals where they may have other dependencies needed in order to be absorbed.

Basically regardless of what your typical calorie intake is you'll burn off any calories required by your BMR & activity level, and any excess will be stored as fat.

It's ideal to eat small meals through the day to stoke the metabolic fire, but really your metabolism will only drop significantly when you lose a massive amount of body fat (metabolism will drop by around 40% if you hit 5% body fat from an average weight as far as I can remember).

I wish I could sleep...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I was about to take this thread seriously until I read this -
    The term secret eater is someone who eats impulsively,walk into the kitchen grab a handful of almonds.....

I have never witnessed, heard of, or seen anyone walk into a kitchen and secretly grab a handful of almonds to overcome some kind of hunger pang. Nobody eats those things.

Now if you said bikkies (especially chocolate ones), or bits of cheese, or toast, then yeah - I'd be with you.

But Almonds - For Fuk's sake like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I shared with a TINY georgous girl and she used to do this!! She ate small meals & would pack in tiny bags & tuppaware " handful" size snacks of nuts to munch on through the day. Then shed have a pizza for dinner! I'd say she was a size 6!

In a mad moment I bought some recently in Lidl/Aldi. They are so dry & bland but nutty that it is really hard to eat or enjoy more than a handful. That is; solong as you don't open a bear & pour salt in the pack! ( or buy the ones covered in honey/sugar/chilispices!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It's ideal to eat small meals through the day to stoke the metabolic fire, but really your metabolism will only drop significantly when you lose a massive amount of body fat (metabolism will drop by around 40% if you hit 5% body fat from an average weight as far as I can remember).

I wish I could sleep...

You can't stoke the metabolic fire by small meals.

Lyle McDonald - Meal Frequency

Lapin wrote: »
    I was about to take this thread seriously until I read this -
    The term secret eater is someone who eats impulsively,walk into the kitchen grab a handful of almonds.....

I have never witnessed, heard of, or seen anyone walk into a kitchen and secretly grab a handful of almonds to overcome some kind of hunger pang. Nobody eats those things.

Now if you said bikkies (especially chocolate ones), or bits of cheese, or toast, then yeah - I'd be with you.

But Almonds - For Fuk's sake like.
    Don't knock them until you try them,besides being tasty they are a great source of protein.
    You need to open your mind a bit lad

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

i love sitting down and eating a load of monkey nuts. i could easily eat a big bag of them no problem, another thing i like to snack on are grapes. two healthy treats but as with the majority of healthy options they are not as cheap as the less healthy option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

You've the right attitude. When I see an overweight child theres often an overweight parent or parents. Parents need to swap the processed rubbish for fruit, and send them out to play rather than spend the day on a play station. and need to be more active themselves as well as being realistic about what they're eating.

My Dad said on his summer holidays as a kid, they were given breakfast, then kicked out of the house with some sandwiches or something for lunch and ordered not to come back until the evening. They would play football, boxing generally mess around for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I've ALWAYS found that a high-fibre diet bungs me up. And whenever I have a day where I eat very little, I found the next day, things are "loosened up" poo-wise. :o I'm not convinced that a high-fibre diet is as important as made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

when it comes to citrus fruit then yes I am. I would get up if I couldn't sleep and have a orange or a grapefruit. But I don't think Im doing too bad.

Never have biscuits/chocolate/ice-cream/fizzy drinks in house. Just regular meals, and an odd treat on a friday night, but I can't get enough of my juicy fruits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Quorum wrote: »
    My Dad said on his summer holidays as a kid, they were given breakfast, then kicked out of the house with some sandwiches or something for lunch and ordered not to come back until the evening. They would play football, boxing generally mess around for the day.

Most kids were kicked out for the day back in the 80's, looking back we were as fit as fiddles with all the running around, jumping thru bushes and playing we did. Great times, you used to dread being called in at night.

"C'mon it's time to come in!"
    "Ah Dad, just 5 more minutes, please, John doesn't have to go in til 11.30pm!!!"
    "Well is your name John?"
    *mutters under breath* "ah ffs"
    "I HEARD THAT!!!"

I do remember when I was about ten (I think) a young lad named Kyle Curran was lured, abducted and murdered one summers evening in Waterford. He was about my age at the time and lived not too far from me. Everything changed with that, it was unheard of to happen in those days and we were not allowed stray from the front of the house and we were all called in around 8pm, everyone couldn't believe what had happened and for months afterwards everyone thread carefully.

However looking back those summer holidays were great, spent the whole time out playing football or just playing. I remember days when it rained and you'd spend hours looking out the window just waiting for it to stop and as soon as it did you'd be off.
    Never have biscuits/chocolate/ice-cream/fizzy drinks in house. Just regular meals, and an odd treat on a friday night, but I can't get enough of my juicy fruits.

A 'pedal' watching the French film on TG4??? ;) :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement