Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secret eaters

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

later12 wrote: »
    I'm impressed by the lack of snacking culture in France. I remember doing an exchange there when I was a kid, and kids were just not allowed snack in a way that was far more dogmatically applied than in Ireland or the UK.

Here, many parents tend to give food as a reward or a silencer outside of meals time, which most French parents seem to regard with a little horror.

It's definitely something I will try to avoid with my kids. Snacking and giving food treats is just not a good habit to have them get into.

Yeah you will never see a French person with a bag of crisps or chocolate bar walking around. I almost felt a bit uncomfortable eating an apple on one of the trams!

Also in their cinemas you often see people sitting on their own, with a book, not eating any junk food :eek:

Sitting in total silence......quite the opposite here! Thats probably why they have much better waistlines than our fine selves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

You can't stoke the metabolic fire by small meals.

Lyle McDonald - Meal Frequency

A link to an article by someone selling their book on dieting? Must be true.

My terminology was too vague there anyway though so fair point, that's what I get for posting after 4am.

What I meant it as is that it's better to eat more regularly to keep your glucose levels high. You're right, it doesn't magically raise your BMR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

A link to an article by someone selling their book on dieting? Must be true.

Well its Lyle McDonald so yes it probably is true.

Well its Lyle McDonald so yes it probably is true.

I was only pulling your paw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Lia_lia wrote: »
    What's the difference between eating at night and at any other time of the day?
    Well what I had been lead to believe and what I've been told by people doing boxing training is that if you eat in the morning you use up that food throughout the day but if you eat at night that food get's stored as fat because your not moving and using it up.
    Yep. Your basal metabolic rate is measured over a 24 hour period.
    Well this changes everything, do you know how many times I sat there at 11pm starving?..... It's actually very few times, but I'm usually feeling guilty about eating something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

kfallon wrote: »
    Most kids were kicked out for the day back in the 80's, looking back we were as fit as fiddles with all the running around, jumping thru bushes and playing we did. Great times, you used to dread being called in at night.

"C'mon it's time to come in!"
    "Ah Dad, just 5 more minutes, please, John doesn't have to go in til 11.30pm!!!"
    "Well is your name John?"
    *mutters under breath* "ah ffs"
    "I HEARD THAT!!!"

I do remember when I was about ten (I think) a young lad named Kyle Curran was lured, abducted and murdered one summers evening in Waterford. He was about my age at the time and lived not too far from me. Everything changed with that, it was unheard of to happen in those days and we were not allowed stray from the front of the house and we were all called in around 8pm, everyone couldn't believe what had happened and for months afterwards everyone thread carefully.

However looking back those summer holidays were great, spent the whole time out playing football or just playing. I remember days when it rained and you'd spend hours looking out the window just waiting for it to stop and as soon as it did you'd be off.

A 'pedal' watching the French film on TG4??? ;) :pac:

yes getting thrown out of the house early morning on Summer days was common. There was always some adventure, something to do and plenty to do it with - and trying to get kids in at night was an effort - it was always great fun, and there wasn't a big to-do if we couldn't be found for an hour or two - nobody went crazy and called in the troops. In fact if were WERE hanging around the house area it was a well known fact that there had been some kind of "fight" during the day and sides were picked. if you went home looking for sympathy over a bloody nose, or a banged ear, you were sent straight back out again and told to get on with it. LOL Next day it was all back to normal again.

However, I don't know what your sentence means above. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I never really crave sweets, I prefer savoury stuff. If I'm in the mood for a snack it's usually something bizarre like cheese and crackers and a few pickled onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

OneArt wrote: »
    I never really crave sweets, I prefer savoury stuff. If I'm in the mood for a snack it's usually something bizarre like cheese and crackers and a few pickled onions.

one of my friday night treats would be......tunafish mixed with celery on a tuc cracker or prawn cocktail mixed with strawberries and oranges. Wish it was Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I think working around food can play havoc with a good diet too. Where I work it's so easy to help yourself to crisps (for the sandwiches), salad prep, bread and even chips and nuggets from the fryer.

Nearly everyone does it and I've seen many people balloon since they started working there. Funnily enough I've lost weigh since working there, but it's not for lack of snacking. When people leave they invariably lose weight as they're not taking in these invisible calories from the odd bowl of chips.

• Advertisement

Ilyana wrote: »
    I think working around food can play havoc with a good diet too. Where I work it's so easy to help yourself to crisps (for the sandwiches), salad prep, bread and even chips and nuggets from the fryer.

Nearly everyone does it and I've seen many people balloon since they started working there. Funnily enough I've lost weigh since working there, but it's not for lack of snacking. When people leave they invariably lose weight as they're not taking in these invisible calories from the odd bowl of chips.

It can work both ways. I know chefs that are severely underweight, don't want to eat because they're sick of looking at food all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

It can work both ways. I know chefs that are severely underweight, don't want to eat because they're sick of looking at food all day.

I guess there is that element to it as well, I just haven't seen it. Granted, one chef I know has gone on a drastic diet to lose a few stone after he realised just how much weight he'd piled on working there. He looks great now.

Another girl I work with buys piles of sweets and cans of coke for the staff out of her own money. While it is a nice gesture, we joke that she wants to make all the female staff fat so she'll be the only attractive one, and she'll hoover up the tips :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Ilyana wrote: »
    Another girl I work with buys piles of sweets and cans of coke for the staff out of her own money. While it is a nice gesture, we joke that she wants to make all the female staff fat so she'll be the only attractive one, and she'll hoover up the tips :pac:

Does she eat any of the junk she buys herself? If not, you may be right! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I do snack between meals, usually apples, oranges or grapes for a treat.
    If I feel like something savoury, I'd usually go for a cuppa soup.

I'm not a fan of crisps, and seriously picky when it comes to sweets and chocolate. So while there are always tons of things around the office (our company is really good in supplying food for their employees), I never touch any of it, except for the fruit.

But as I unfortunately happen to really like my food, and also to be a rather decent cook, I'm still fat. Losing weight now, but still weighing about twice of what online sources tell me I should weigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Shenshen wrote: »
    I do snack between meals, usually apples, oranges or grapes for a treat.
    If I feel like something savoury, I'd usually go for a cuppa soup.

I'm not a fan of crisps, and seriously picky when it comes to sweets and chocolate. So while there are always tons of things around the office (our company is really good in supplying food for their employees), I never touch any of it, except for the fruit.

But as I unfortunately happen to really like my food, and also to be a rather decent cook, I'm still fat. Losing weight now, but still weighing about twice of what online sources tell me I should weigh.

If you want to lose weight you have to burn off more calories than you are consuming. How active would you be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Abi wrote: »
    If you want to lose weight you have to burn off more calories than you are consuming. How active would you be?

Walking about 1 mile at lunchtime (weather permitting, but usually 2-5 times a week), swimming (again, depending on the weather, at the moment around 5 times a week, for 40 - 60 minutes), gardening, keeping the house clean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement