Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help

Options
  • 21-08-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

i am installing a cctv system.i have been told i need to get a router and static ip address .i went to vodafone shop and they said all i need to do is buy the router and plug it in.(just broadband no land line needed)broadband only package.dont have phone line. and then ring for static ip address.is this correct.my understanding is that i get the router,plug it in ,request static ip,conect dvr to router via ethernet cable.any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

corkcity wrote: »
    i am installing a cctv system.i have been told i need to get a router and static ip address .i went to vodafone shop and they said all i need to do is buy the router and plug it in.(just broadband no land line needed)broadband only package.dont have phone line. and then ring for static ip address.is this correct.my understanding is that i get the router,plug it in ,request static ip,conect dvr to router via ethernet cable.any help would be great

The static ip address means the router will give you the same ip address when you power off the router then power it back up. You could do this or use a dns provider. The static is better as some company's charge for the dns.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭corkcity

is the router all i need.dont have a phone line in the house .all i want to know is will i be able view the cameras on my phone through the router without a phone landline?

is the router all i need.dont have a phone line in the house .all i want to know is will i be able view the cameras on my phone through the router without a phone landline?

With Vodafone you will need a land line. With UPC you can have the broadband without the phone.

was in vodafone and he said all i need is to get router ,plug it in and connect to dvr,is this right ,he said i only need braodband package .not both?

was in vodafone and he said all i need is to get router ,plug it in and connect to dvr,is this right ,he said i only need braodband package .not both?

He must be talking about a dongle?

• Advertisement

i have ddongle at the moment .he said i needed to get router (small white box) and that would do.he said just connect dvr to router via ethernet cable

i have ddongle at the moment .he said i needed to get router (small white box) and that would do.he said just connect dvr to router via ethernet cable

What is connected to the router to give you the broadband?

thats what i cant get my head around .he said i would not need a land line .just plug it in .is the router wireless? like dongle

thats what i cant get my head around .he said i would not need a land line .just plug it in .is the router wireless? like dongle

Not unless he is saying plug the dongle into the router and the connect the router to the DVR. At that its a USB connection. The speeds off the dongle are not good enough for streaming live pictures. You will have to inquire further to find out what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Maybe vodafone means they will give you broadband only and no landline phone only a bb package so you dont have a phone but your bb still comes in thru a landline...Its the same price to have a phone as not to tho...

• Advertisement

yes .they are giving me a broadband only package.my question is how will it work. when i connect it to the phone jack in the wall will this be ok .this is wrecking my head

Yeah they will activate the line with broadband but will just not give it a phone number... Simple as that... U get a router in the post and then between 10- 28 days later the bb is activated... Its normally live within the week... They say this just encase there are problems with the line and it causes delays activating it...

so what your saying is i will be able to view the cctv system this way

Yes u shud be able to view them then depending on your bb speed... You will have to have static ip or dyn dns... You will also have to open/port forward ports on the router for it to work but the ports will be dependent on your DVR...

bb speed is 24 mb and 15gb download.is that ok.what do you mean by open/forward ports?

I would be surprised if u get 24 mbs unless you live very close to the phone exchange.... Open ports means you allow your phone or laptop to access your DVR thru these ports or channels so it knows where to look when u click on your cameras externally when your away from your LAN...

if you look at at the vodafone website you can see the offer they have .it says free loine rental.i take it they are giving me the bb package and phone line but killing the voice part if you no what i mean..thanks for all your help

bb speed is 24 mb and 15gb download.is that ok.what do you mean by open/forward ports?

That would depend on the line. Up to, is more than likely the offer.
    That way they can tell you what the line can take once you have signed up :rolleyes:

Advertisement