Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any chance? (the Photo of the Year ideas thread)

• 21-08-2012 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

I don't suppose we can have a Photog of the Year/ Month comp? Or even best photo of the month/season/year?

Regards,
    Bren:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i think that would be a great thing to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

maddog wrote: »
    I don't suppose we can have a Photog of the Year/ Month comp? Or even best photo of the month/season/year?

Regards,

you fancy your chances then? :p

There is a photo of the week chart - so I presume Caban Sail counts all the votes for all the contending pics and puts them on an excel spread or similar?

It would not take much effort then to move that to the next level- month, quarter, year.

Then maybe in December a fresh poll could take place between say the top 20 pics.

With the winner to win a free pass to a Sonny Knowles concert.

Second to win... you know the rest

Me -I am aiming to win photo of the century in the hopes that I outlive all the other contenders

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

keps wrote: »
    you fancy your chances then? :p

All I know is that there is some cracking images that get posted in the random thread that should get some sort of re-showing..... other forums have them and it does make you go out and shoot for the selected themes if it was a photog of the year type thingy.

Or people could nominate images from ones that are posted in the random thread at the end of the month and people can vote for the image they like best.

I know we have similar stuff with the POTW and photo challenge.... but could we amalgamate the two into some thing new?

Regards,

P.S.
    There is a good few people on here that post better images than me.... and who knows it might bring some new blood to the forum if we ran some sort of comp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

keps wrote: »
    There is a photo of the week chart - so I presume Caban Sail counts all the votes for all the contending pics and puts them on an excel spread or similar?

Yes and No .... I do count up the results and use Excel a new one each week. I move around so some of those are in various locations. Can get most together again though and revisit those missing.

• Advertisement

In Early January 2012 I started a thread

' Post your best photo of 2011'

And the response was terrific- so there is an audience and an appetite out there:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Maybe I should compile a list of the highest "Thanked" POTW for each Month. These then will be put to a seperate vote early in the new year.

Then we run a Poll for a couple of weeks for the dozen finalists.

If this is what you want then Thank this post.

How about if on December 1st 2012 - a list /copy of the top 25(or any reasonable number) 'voted' for photos during the period 1/12/2011 to 30/11/2012 was posted for the

FAVOURITE PHOTO OF 2012 'thanks poll'.

Then if people were allowed to vote for the month of December a winner could be declared on 31/12/2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Phil Taz

Sounds like a great idea, maybe its possible to have a "Best Honourable Mention" of the year also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Another idea: Create a thread for 'your favourite photo of the month'?
    Anyone could post their favourite photo there each month, would make a nice viewing thread?

Cheers,
    pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

dinneenp wrote: »
    Another idea: Create a thread for 'your favourite photo of the month'?
    Anyone could post their favourite photo there each month, would make a nice viewing thread?

They were a regular feature for ages, then kind of fizzled out. They worked well, usually a limit of two photos per user per thread.

Here's one from 2008 (the only one I could find quickly, but there are loads more)

Edit:more here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be worth resurrecting that, and formalising it as a competition; post your favourite photo of the month - one only - and you get points equivalent to the number of thanks. add the points from each month up at the end of the year...

less work than doing it every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If you build it they will come...
    Your best/favourite photo July 2012.

I didn't specifically mention that it's a competition. for me there's a difference between your best/favourite and what you think the public would like best.
    If some admin wants to post up the most 3 liked at the end of the month though please feel free...

Advertisement