Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fried chicken without fryer

Options
  • 21-08-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I am attempting to make southern fried chicken later however i have no fryer!has anyone any suggestions?i was thinking about flash frying them in a wok and then baking them to ensure they're cooked

I could just fry them in the wok but it im not sure if it would be hot enough

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Soak the chicken in Milk/Buttermilk. Then cover in seasoned flour. Shallow fry in 1cm of oil in a frying pan, heated to 190c until lightly browned, place on a tray and cook in a 190c oven for 20 mins.

Edit: This is for chicken on the bone by the way, probably wouldn't need as long if it was just the breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Soak the chicken in Milk/Buttermilk. Then cover in seasoned flour. Shallow fry in 1cm of oil in a frying pan, heated to 190c until lightly browned, place on a tray and cook in a 190c oven for 20 mins.

Edit: This is for chicken on the bone by the way, probably wouldn't need as long if it was just the breast.

:D Were you watching Hairy Bikers too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Chucken wrote: »
    :D Were you watching Hairy Bikers too?

Actually have this recipe from college, but yes I was watching Hairy Bikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Laika1986 wrote: »

I could just fry them in the wok but it im not sure if it would be hot !

Wok works just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Cheers guys worked out pretty well used the wok first and then the oven. Next time I think I'll skip the oven because the batter started to flake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What do people recommend to emulate the southern fried coating from takeaways? Also does anybody know of a place selling the powder the chippers use. You can buy big bags of it in musgraves so I wonder if any shop sells smaller packs, either retail or splitting out a big bag themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

barfizz wrote: »

Had it tonight, absolutely delicious! The leftovers on the tray are the best bit. :)

Advertisement