Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wondering - "ab initio"?

• 21-08-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi im just wondering what an ab initio degree is.?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

abbie2012 wrote: »
    thanks

Ab initio means that the subjects start from the very very basics " as from the initiation" or something along those lines in Latin. You need no prior knowledge of the subjects or anything,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 abbie2012

so its the subject u take on with ur course in each semester?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomWN

thanks

yes ab initio does mean from the begining

I think it's to do with colleges that offer you multiple paths in progression on the framework of qualifications for a course.

Some colleges you can only enter a course at HC level then progress to an ordinary degree, then an honours degree.

Other colleges offer the above, but at the same time run a 3 year ordinary degree, and/or, a 4 year honours degree starting in year 1, for the same discipline, hence you are starting a degree course from the begining, when you could have gone the progression route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 abbie2012

that has reli helped me thank u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

thanks
    "From the beginning" i.e. you're starting in first year, you're not transferring into a later year from somewhere else, you're not carrying credits from a previous programme, etc.

And just a gentle reminder that Boards has a "no textspeak" policy, thanks! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement