Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying at Level 6 & BTEA

Options
  • 21-08-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

Last year I done an Access Course (Level 6), I didn't get offered my first choice of a Level 7. But there is a course just started this year, which is in the seem field (Social Care), but it is a Level 6, two year course. I have been informed that it may lead into third year of the Level 7 course which I had applied for as my first choice.

I spoke to the SW and I won't be eligible for BTEA or free fees if I decide to do the Level 6. I must move on. The Access course as I see it, was not a course in a particular field, it was a refresher for mature students to help you get to grips with returning to college. The Social Care is a course that has the potential to lead onto a career unlike the Access course.

Is there any point in arguing this with the SW? Would appreciate any feedback

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

For what it's worth I have been refused a Level 5 before because I already had a level 5 from years ago.

I wrote a concise letter explaining my reasons why I needed this to progress and asked the deciding officer to read it and they approved my BTEA a few days later. She called me and said she would give me BTEA on the condition that I go into a higher course the following year, which i did.

Officers differ but It's worth a shot.

I can't count how many times I have achieved remarkable things by writing a letter.

The pen is mightier than the sword.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

If your Access course was a FETAC level 6 then you ARE eligible for BTEA for the Social Care level 6 as its a HETAC qualification. This is considered a higher academic standard than the FETAC course and as such constitutes progression under DSP rules. You've met with a staff member who doesn't understand the education system, not unknown in DSP unfortunately. And to be fair it is confusing having 2 level 6 qualifications in the one framework. The key difference is that one course is accredited by FETAC, is a one year programme and is considered part of second level education. The other is a HETAC course, usually takes place over 2 years and is part of the third level structure. As such its a higher level course than FETAC level 6.

You cant appeal the decision as BTEA is not a statutory scheme but you can ask for a review by your case officer. You should also speak to the BTEA head office in Carrick on Shannon Tel: 071 9672698

Hope this helps.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    If your Access course was a FETAC level 6 then you ARE eligible for BTEA for the Social Care level 6 as its a HETAC qualification. This is considered a higher academic standard than the FETAC course and as such constitutes progression under DSP rules. You've met with a staff member who doesn't understand the education system, not unknown in DSP unfortunately. And to be fair it is confusing having 2 level 6 qualifications in the one framework. The key difference is that one course is accredited by FETAC, is a one year programme and is considered part of second level education. The other is a HETAC course, usually takes place over 2 years and is part of the third level structure. As such its a higher level course than FETAC level 6.

You cant appeal the decision as BTEA is not a statutory scheme but you can ask for a review by your case officer. You should also speak to the BTEA head office in Carrick on Shannon Tel: 071 9672698

Hope this helps.

FETAC level 6 and HETAC level 6 are the same on the national framework scale.

National%20Framework%20Fan.jpg

I did a FETAC level 6 and it was a 2 years advanced certificate. It's still considered 2nd level.

Goro wrote: »
    FETAC level 6 and HETAC level 6 are the same on the national framework scale.

I did a FETAC level 6 and it was a 2 years advanced certificate. It's still considered 2nd level.

Although both are at level 6 on the framework the FETAC and HETAC level 6 courses are regarded as being at two different standards. A HETAC level 6 is considered to be at a higher academic standard and so is part of the Third Level system.
    FETAC level 6 courses are the successors to the old NCVA courses and being more vocational in nature they are classed as being part of the 2nd level system.

Its not a given that just because you have a FETAC advanced certificate at level 6 that you can automatically progress into the third year of a level 7 degree. Colleges attach a lesser weight to the FETAC qualification despite its placement within the Qualifications framework.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Although both are at level 6 on the framework the FETAC and HETAC level 6 courses are regarded as being at two different standards. A HETAC level 6 is considered to be at a higher academic standard and so is part of the Third Level system.
    FETAC level 6 courses are the successors to the old NCVA courses and being more vocational in nature they are classed as being part of the 2nd level system.

Its not a given that just because you have a FETAC advanced certificate at level 6 that you can automatically progress into the third year of a level 7 degree. Colleges attach a lesser weight to the FETAC qualification despite its placement within the Qualifications framework.

Thanks for the info. They should specify this clearly on the scale though. I know that the particular FETAC 6 I have is enough for advanced entry into year 2 of a level 7 degree in Computing in an IT. Also in that 2nd year, some modules are exempt because they have already been covered in the FETAC.

I found the level 6 to be very unbalanced, with some modules being almost remedial and others being very advanced. Level 4 and 5 modules mixed in with some level 6 modules. Typical Irish mess of a system.

For example one of the level 6 modules covered the entire course of another level 4 module in about 2 weeks. Yet I had to sit them both despite the ridiculous overlap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Bubblegum18

As regarding a maintenance grant if a person gets a grant for a fetac level 6 advanced certificate and after completing it can they then be eligible for a maintenance grant for a two year HETAC higher certificate?

As regarding a maintenance grant if a person gets a grant for a fetac level 6 advanced certificate and after completing it can they then be eligible for a maintenance grant for a two year HETAC higher certificate?

Yes, as was said above they are accepted as being at two different academic standards and its possible to get the grant for a FETAC level 6 and then go on to a HETAC level 6 and get the grant. The reason being that moving from the vocational training to higher education constitutes progression and thats what is important.

Advertisement