Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Smoker

Options
  • 21-08-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭

Question regarding ads for non-smoker for house sharing.
    See this on lots of ads.
    I am looking for peoples opinions on smoking outdoors.
    Basically would it be a big deal for non smokers if a house was a smoker, but only smoked outdoors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

It's all and well good saying you would smoke outdoors and you probably would, but the other tenants/landlord probably wouldn't believe you.
    They might be inclined to think you wouldn't go outside in the rain/snow etc and therefore you'd smoke in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The other thing is even if you smoke out the window or just outside the door, the smoke will come in, plus your clothes will smell of smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Hey thanks for the reply. I have my car also so if I was too cold could smoke in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

To be honest, I wouldn't want to live with a smoker, even if they smoked out of doors 100% of the time . The smell of smoke lingers on clothes, and can then be transferred to soft furnishings.

No matter how good you are are cleaning up the butts and ash, in my prior experience anyway, there always seems to end up being a day when ashtrays are left half full or butts get scattered across the garden.

I detest the smell of cigarette smoke and am quite militant about it :D, but you may be lucky enough to find people who are happy to let you smoke in the garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It depends on the person I guess. I know people who live in apartments and only ever smoke outside on the balcony, and to be honest you wouldnt know they smoke from being in the apartment. Then again I also know people who claim that they only smoke outside until they get a few drinks in them and suddenly dont give a toss about smoking indoors, or they will stand at an open door smoking, somehow convincing themselves that they are "outside" while at the same time filling the place full of smoke.

To be honest I wouldnt want to live with a smoker unless I knew them and knew what they were like. Talk is cheap; its my experience that a lot of smokers dont really care about anyone else when it comes to where they smoke, and if its too wet/cold/inconvenient to go outside then they probably wont, or else they will make the least amount of effort possible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Not trying to be smart here, but when people go to the trouble of specifying a non-smoker they mean someone who doesn't smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

nibtrix wrote: »
    To be honest, I wouldn't want to live with a smoker, even if they smoked out of doors 100% of the time . The smell of smoke lingers on clothes, and can then be transferred to soft furnishings.

No matter how good you are are cleaning up the butts and ash, in my prior experience anyway, there always seems to end up being a day when ashtrays are left half full or butts get scattered across the garden.

I detest the smell of cigarette smoke and am quite militant about it :D, but you may be lucky enough to find people who are happy to let you smoke in the garden!
    Absolutely agree and I am probably too militant about it - but as I have had cancer (currently in remission from it) and people still want to smoke around me, I hate it.

Even walking down the street behind smokers makes me slow down (not that I walk very fast anyway) or stop for a while to avoid the smoke and smell of smoke.

But I digress. There is very recent post in Accommodation & Property where a tenant smoked indoors and left burn marks on the carpet - one of the prime reasons why many leases stipulate no smoking within the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i have found in the past that most smokers think "ah its cold, out the window will be ok" attitude is ok. Smokers tend to think theres no smell etc etc. Hence why I would be very hesitant about a smoker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

It's quite easy to now say "I'll just smoke outside, I swear" but after a couple of months having to leave whatever you're doing to go outside it'll most likely start to seriously piss you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭Goose81

Just find a house with only smokers. I have never even heard of someone objecting to living with a smoker who smokes outside, its ridiculous. Most people I know who smoke don't even smoke in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I've always been a non-smoker, and have lived with smokers on various occasions in the the past.

In my experience, it was always them who said from the start, "I'm a smoker but I always smoke outside" and they'll make sure to get a place with a sheltered balcony or a convenient sheltered outdoor area. And they'd be fussy, too, to make sure that their friends never smoked inside.

It was never the slightest problem for me, that they smoked.

The way I see it, if they're someone who likes to smoke inside, then why on earth wouldn't they look for other people who do the same? There are plenty out there who do.

Basically, if you see an ad looking for a non-smoker, and you think the place would suit you, I think you should definitely reply and explain your position. I would imagine most people would be very understanding - after all, why does it matter if you smoke or not, as long as it's not in the apartment?! Nothing to lose, anyways. :)

Advertisement