Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl clothes sizes

Options
  • 21-08-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

My wife bought an Lidl 'Esmara' brand tracksuit, size M 14/16 the last time they had them.

Last week she went in again to buy a similar Esmara tracksuit, but this time the M was too big, as was the S ( The original tracksuit still fits so SHE hasn't got thinner :rolleyes: ). I emailed Lidl and got this back
    We write to you following your recent email regarding the clothing sizes. We wish to advise you that the sizes have not changed, however each supplier may vary with the sizes of different clothing items. We have passed your comments to the relevant department who will ceratinly bear them in mind for the future. Assuring you of our best intentions at all times

They said recently that their sizes were 'standard' and never varied - now this reply gives the lie to that :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Any woman will tell you that sizes vary between shops, to say nothing of within a shop.

What exactly is the Consumer Issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,088 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dudara wrote: »
    Any woman will tell you that sizes vary between shops, to say nothing of within a shop.

What exactly is the Consumer Issue here?

.. or man.:P

The sizes of just about everything, footwear, clothing etc seem to vary. They must need some serious re-calibration in the sweat-shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Wish they would realise that Irish men have bigger feet than Germans. Their shoe sizes never are larger than 11 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

ejmaztec wrote: »
    .. or man.:P

The sizes of just about everything, footwear, clothing etc seem to vary. They must need some serious re-calibration in the sweat-shops.

The issue is that Lidl say in their catalog (30 July) beside the Esmara ad -
    Fashion that will always fit! We take the stress out of clothes shopping ! At LIDL you can not only rely on the same standard of high quality, but also on standardised sizing. If you are a medium at LIDL, you will always be! This is because we abide by strict body mass tables, ensuring that sizes always stay the same. Look out for the Hohenstein label on packaging when purchasing textiles !

So - that 'promise/statement means ..... !

Wish they would realise that Irish men have bigger feet than Germans. Their shoe sizes never are larger than 11 :-(

Have you tried Heathers shoe shop on Arran Quay in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,088 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Capri wrote: »
    The issue is that Lidl say in their catalog (30 July) beside the Esmara ad -

So - that 'promise/statement means ..... !

It means to me that they're making incorrect assumptions, and should hit backspace delete.

The sizes seemed to be more universal a few years ago, in my opinion anyway, but in recent years they've all gone mad. That's why I would never consider buying footwear/clothing online, because I don't trust the accuracy of the sizes.

I never seem to have trouble with clothing / shoes - apart from my summer clothes shrinking more every year :D:D:D

Followed it up with the German institute whose name Lidl are quoting.

THEY are very interested as something is clearly wrong somewhere along the line :eek:

At least it's better than the Lidl IRL fob-off :mad::mad:

Followed it up with the German institute whose name Lidl are quoting.

THEY are very interested as something is clearly wrong somewhere along the line :eek:

At least it's better than the Lidl IRL fob-off :mad::mad:

They WERE interested :mad: Not any more - better shopping in Penneys where the sizes are always right.

Same for other Lidl products - bought a Curtain / rail set, as soon as I just got the rail screwed home , the screw snapped (x5) so next time it'll be IKEA :mad:

Lidl - low quality but similar prices (profits~) to the PROPER places !:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Speaking of Pennys; last year I got two pairs of jeans there, same range, same size, only difference was that they were two different colours. Or so I thought until I got home and realised one pair fit and the other didn't! I thought that was a bit odd now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

High street clothing suppliers are usually allowed anything up to 5% difference in fittings.

This means one waste could be 82cm but another one in the same size could be 86cm.

They cut many pattern pieces at the one time, sometimes no with laser cutters.

For designer / RTW it would be much less of a margin of error.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Penneys are classic for that kind of thing. I have 3 pairs of the exact same jeans that I use for work. I use the same belt as I rotate the jeans but I have to use a different hole on the belt for each pair. All are supposed to be 32/34 and same fit. Doesn't worry me cos they only cost a tenner each.
    At least with Lidl you can just pop back and get your money back if they don't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They said recently that their sizes were 'standard' and never varied - now this reply gives the lie to that :eek:
    Where did they state this?

There is a thing called "vanity sizing", more prevalent with womens clothes. So a brand might call their size 16 a size 12 so a woman puts on the jeans and goes "great, I'm only a size 12, I like this brand"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

I hear heard many times about how Marilyn Monroe was a "size 16", usually as a comment about todays skinny models. But that was decades ago, todays size 16 would be far too big for her.

I don't know why manufacturers did not turn to actual mm sizes for shoes & clothes years ago. I have seen a few t shirt manufacturers do it, and give the size of the actual cloth, rather than what they thing will fit your body measurement.

Advertisement