Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What drugs can Irish sniffer dogs smell?

Options
  • 21-08-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do,
    Don't worry, I'm not up to no good, also apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Couldn't get any response for Irish specific situations online. With the upcoming David Guetta gigs in Marlay Park this week there was/is obviously a lot of worry about what's going to happen from the general public after the Swedish House Mafia fiasco. the police came out and said that all security would be upped to the nines and sniffer dogs would be patrolling the crowds. Now, the drug of choice at this gig is quite clearly going to be pills and nothing but (MDMA as well I suppose). Are Irish sniffer dogs trained to sniff these out? I was under the impression that they weren't for some reason.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The dogs don't sniff for drugs. They sniff for fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

They will sniff out ecstasy and most other commonly used illegal substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Really don't think this is a topic for a public forum for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

dunner515 wrote: »

It's enquiring how well trained the dogs our Emergency Services have are, I don't see an issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

It was covered recently on RTE on the customs program, not really that different and not a big secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Put it this way, if a dog comes to you and sits all nice as if looking for a pet or a treat, don't go 'ah what a lovely doggy!' ....be worried :D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

It's enquiring how well trained the dogs our Emergency Services have are, I don't see an issue with it.
    mmcn90 wrote: »
    It was covered recently on RTE on the customs program, not really that different and not a big secret.

Your best bet would be to contact Customs or the Gardai directly, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to answer your question(s).
    Also that way you get a quick and positive response.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Your best bet would be to contact Customs or the Gardai directly, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to answer your question(s).

and searched the next time you're out in public

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

I'll ring them tomorrow. I'm well known in the local station.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Rumour has it if you have no drugs on you its not an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Didnt someone not post an article on here recently about the Dog Unit with customs or the airport police? Might that not contain some information?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Operational issues cannot be discussed I'm afraid OP, and Garda dogs and their capabilities is certainly operational issues.

Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement