Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC New Build Budget €1000

Options
  • 21-08-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? €1000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, Graphics applications
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes & No :)

5a. If yes, what size do you need? 22" to 24"

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes, but no right away.

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? Very Soon.

Hi all been lurking around the section for a while now. I have built quite a few PC's in the past but not in the last two years and things have moved on quite a bit hence this post.

I have to build a pc for my daughter both for college (graphics) and for gaming.

The budget as stated is €1000 but I would like if possible a build including a monitor and one without as she can purchase a monitor later if the specs suffer because of the inclusion of a monitor at this time.

Thanks in advance guys you do a great service here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

centa wrote: »
    1. What is your budget? €1000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, Graphics applications
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes & No :)

5a. If yes, what size do you need? 22" to 24"

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes, but no right away.

8. How can you pay? Any

9. When are you purchasing? Very Soon.

Hi all been lurking around the section for a while now. I have built quite a few PC's in the past but not in the last two years and things have moved on quite a bit hence this post.

I have to build a pc for my daughter both for college (graphics) and for gaming.

The budget as stated is €1000 but I would like if possible a build including a monitor and one without as she can purchase a monitor later if the specs suffer because of the inclusion of a monitor at this time.

Thanks in advance guys you do a great service here.

Games - which games?

Graphics as in CAD, 3D engine programming, fashion design?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭centa

Games such as Skyrim, borderlands 2.

Graphics, photoshop, web design and some video editing. She also has a mac book for this kind of work so the machine maybe more game orientated.

Item|Price
    BenQ G2255|€99.00
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile schwarz PC3-12800U CL9|€44.00
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.49
    MSI N660Ti Power Edition 2GD5/OC, GeForce GTX 660Ti, 2048MB DDR5|€313.95
    Thermaltake SMART M550W/ 80plus Bronze|€58.29
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€217.93
    ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP, Sockel 1155, ATX|€82.94
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€36.81
    Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz|€9.65
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€101.73
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1015.78

Ok first attempt with monitor, I am thinking if I build without the monitor I can include an SSD for operating system.

comments/improvements welcomed.

Sorry I meant to come back to you.

There are some issues with that build.

660Ti - unless your apps specifically need nVidia go with the 7950 - that advice would change if the 660Ti was at it's US price point of around €250-275.

PSU - Go with the superflower unless you've specifically sus'd that one out

Mobo - Z77 chipeset for overclocking rather than the H77

SSD - This would be a welcome addition for things like photoshop

RAM - I might double the order to 16GB

• Advertisement

Depending on how much you want to overclock:

PSU to 550W, Macho to Noctua DH thingy and click the GPU in my sig for the 7950 of uberness. Actually strike that I see its still at €345 cheeky so and sos

Are you sure your apps dont benefit from nVidia cards?

I will have a look at your suggestions tomorrow as I have to go out now.

Thanks for your time and help :)

Are you sure your apps dont benefit from nVidia cards?

Do not know really and I doubt if my daughter knows :(

Are web design/Adobe apps usually optimised for nVidia cards?

centa wrote: »
    I will have a look at your suggestions tomorrow as I have to go out now.

Thanks for your time and help :)

Do not know really and I doubt if my daughter knows :(

Are web design/Adobe apps usually optimised for nVidia cards?

Adobe apps can use the cuda cores on nVidia cards - thats about all I know and I dont really know what that means :D

I dont think it will make a massive difference. I'd wait a week and see what happens to the pricing on the 660Ti tbh. The nad thing is nVidia cards are crap for non-games applications if the app isn't specifically written to take advantage of it. (IIRC)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Photoshop is going to start preferring AMD cards in the next updates, as more gets coded for OpenCL. actually, its AMDs APUs that will benefit the most.

as far as nvidia CUDA is concerned, you're looking for mercury engine apps, but unfortunately, nvidias 600 series cards don't perform as well as their older 500 series stuff core for core, and I don't think the 660Ti will qualify for the acceleration anyway, as nvidia usually don't support it in their 'lower end' cards, but from X70 and up, like the 570, 580,590,670,680,690, though this might have changed with the 660Ti, I'm not sure :o

Tl;Dr

get the Sapphire 950mhz 7950, its a decent card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

just another comment, it would be pretty pointless spending big money on a 7950 then pairing it with that €99 monitor. you're doing Photoshop etc work with it, so colour accuracy and quality is going to be very important, and you're not going to get that until you spend at least €150+. I'd be pushing for the Dell u2312hm at €185.

www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/monitors/20097160/dell_23_u2312hm_lcd_8ms_vga_dvi_d/details.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    just another comment, it would be pretty pointless spending big money on a 7950 then pairing it with that €99 monitor. you're doing Photoshop etc work with it, so colour accuracy and quality is going to be very important, and you're not going to get that until you spend at least €150+. I'd be pushing for the Dell u2312hm at €185.

www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/monitors/20097160/dell_23_u2312hm_lcd_8ms_vga_dvi_d/details.aspx

Haha. Ive a 670 and that exact €99 monitor :D

Tea_Bag wrote: »

I think she is going ahead without the monitor for now and she is going to save for on later. I have a decent monitor I can loan her until then, but thanks for the recommendation and link.

Adobe apps can use the cuda cores on nVidia cards - thats about all I know and I dont really know what that means :D

I dont think it will make a massive difference. I'd wait a week and see what happens to the pricing on the 660Ti tbh. The nad thing is nVidia cards are crap for non-games applications if the app isn't specifically written to take advantage of it. (IIRC)

Thanks think I will leave it for a week and see if the price changes on the 660 ti

Advertisement