Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 2012/13

• 21-08-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭

It kicks off again this weekend and it's still a bit all over the place.

Inter and Milan have today swapped Pazzini and Cassano.

Andrea Poli could be heading to Juve (to become their 10th central midfielder? :confused:).

Steve von Bergen, who only signed for Genoa this summer, has been sold to Palermo.

De Rossi has turned down Man City's petrodollars, but Stephan Lichtsteiner looks set to pocket some of PSG's.

The verdict in the betting trial appeal is due tomorrow. Conte is appealing his suspension, while the FIGC prosecutor is appealing the decision to exonerate Di Vaio, Bonucci and Simone Pepe.

There's also been a rule change ahead of the new season:
    Italian clubs will be able to name up to 12 substitutes in this season’s Serie A, Coppa Italia and Primavera competitions.
    This comes after the FIGC approved a request signed by Maurizio Beretta, the Serie A League chairman.
    The new ruling will take immediate effect.

12 subs seems like an awful lot and will only benefit the clubs with bigger squads.

Juve have to be favourites to retain the title IMO. A lot depends on how they deal with being back in the Champions League.

Milan look weakened after losing their best players from last season. Zapata and Constant should be good signings though. I don't know anything about Traore and I've never rated Montolivo.

Napoli could be dangerous. They have lost Lavezzi though.

Roma will want to improve big time on last season and they've strengthened with the likes of Bradley, Balzaretti and Destro.

I really don't fancy Inter's chances this year. They don't look particularly strong in any area of the team. Gaby Mudingayi?

Udinese did well to come third last year, but as usual have lost some of their best players (to Juventus). No doubt they have some South Americans we haven't heard of yet to replace them.

What do you think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think It's Juve's league to lose with Milan, Roma and Napoli looking like the next strongest and Inter just behind them.

I think Milan gained a player they badly needed today in Pazzo but lost their only playmaker in the same deal, lot of pressure on Montolivo now to be the creator. Still need a centre back and a left full too. Antonini is ok as backup but we need better than him and we need a partner for Zapata/Mexes at the back, Acerbi might be good enough but I think it's a massive risk and he could do with a year to develop as a rotation option.

If I had my was we'd ship Robinho out and sign another #10 to play with Pato/El Shaawary/Pazzo too.

I think our midfield is actually pretty decent. KPB and Nocerino are going to have to play very well, Flamini looks good in pre-season and Montolivo was good at the Euros and so far very good in pre-season.

I think Roma will challenge for the title, weirdly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner has been linked with a move to AC Milan possibly with Mexes as part of the deal. I agree with the other posters that it is Juve's title to lose. Was really impressed with Napoli last year. Be interesting to see how they get on this season.

12 subs seems like an awful lot and will only benefit the clubs with bigger squads.

I don't think it's a disadvantage to anyone though, clubs can name 5 if they want, or 12, gives younger players a better chance of being in a match day squad (which is why it was enacted) and will mean that they have a better chance of a run out, if their team is 2-0 up with 20 minutes to go, the manager is just as likely to bring on a young las or a runout as he is a older player.
    I'm all for it, hopefully it will see the like of Ganz, Valoti, Strasser, Vila, De Sciglio, Prosenik, Cristante and a few others getting a run out.

DenMan wrote: »
    Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner has been linked with a move to AC Milan possibly with Mexes as part of the deal. I agree with the other posters that it is Juve's title to lose. Was really impressed with Napoli last year. Be interesting to see how they get on this season.

Milan just signed an old fashioned #9, I doubt they will sign another one.

They could have had Maxi Lopez for free a few weeks ago, he's just as good as Bendtner, so why sign Nicklas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Seaneh wrote: »
    Milan just signed an old fashioned #9, I doubt they will sign another one.

They could have had Maxi Lopez for free a few weeks ago, he's just as good as Bendtner, so why sign Nicklas?

I don't know Seanah. I just read it online and Canal+ were going with the story. Who did Milan sign recently?

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    I don't know Seanah. I just read it online and Canal+ were going with the story. Who did Milan sign recently?

Giampaolo Pazzini, swapped Cassano for him with Inter.

Cassano askef for a transfer on sunday, Pazzo was transferlisted by Inter a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I reckon Juve will win it fairly easily this season, they have strengthened well while Milan have lost their best players and had to replace a lot of other players too. I reckon Inter and Napoli will be pushing Milan for 2nd and Roma might even be there too.

Inter have not had a bad transfer campaign so far and I reckon there should be 2 more signings(a CM and a LB) too. Palacio is a huge improvement on Forlan and Cassano + €7m for Pazzini is a good deal for Inter and he should suit Inter better than Pazzini too. Getting rid of Lucio was good too, he has been pretty useless for most of the last 2 seasons and Silvestre will do a better job there than him. Mudingayi is only going to be back up, like Palombo was, because Guarin will be the main midfielder this year and there should be another signing there too. I'm not a big fan of Handanovic myself, but Cesar hasn't exactly been in the best of form so if we can get rid of his high wages it will probably be a good deal. I also think that Coutinho coming back will be good and I expect a lot from him this season. The fact that Strama has backing and seems to be able to get the players motivated will have a big impact too, so all in all I think we are in much better shape now than going into last season.

There is still a bit of time to go before the transfer window closes so it could change but that is how I see it right now anyway.

dor83 wrote: »
    Cassano + €7m for Pazzini is a good deal for Inter .

From what I've read, it's nothing close to that sort of money, and might even be a straight swap.

Strama acked for Cassano, apparently Cassano's agent approached Inter last week and then they handed in a transfer request.
    Where as Inter were trying to offload Pazzo all summer.

I reckon it's a straight swap or very little money.

Also, I am really hoping this is another case of Milan getting the better end of the deal when we trade players... Pazzo for capocannonieri :P

That was what I read earlier, Inter were asking for €10m + Cassano to begin with because Cassano had said during the Euros that if Ibra and Silva were sold he would leave too and Napoli were also trying to get Pazzo for Gargano + money so Inter had the upper hand all along.

I have no doubt Pazzo will do well for Milan but I just think Cassano is more suited to the style of play Strama wants and will get much more game time than Pazzo would have. I also think Pato will be Milans top scorer, I'm expecting a good season from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

If it was Cassano and 7 million it would be one of the worst transfer decisions of all time.

I'll reserve judgement of Milan till the window closes but it's pretty dismal at the moment. A struggle for champs league places.

• Advertisement

That was what I read earlier, Inter were asking for €10m + Cassano to begin with because Cassano had said during the Euros that if Ibra and Silva were sold he would leave too and Napoli were also trying to get Pazzo for Gargano + money so Inter had the upper hand all along.

I have no doubt Pazzo will do well for Milan but I just think Cassano is more suited to the style of play Strama wants and will get much more game time than Pazzo would have. I also think Pato will be Milans top scorer, I'm expecting a good season from him.

Well, when he's fit I think Pato is probably the best striker in the league now, but that's the problem, WHEN IS HE FECKING FIT?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good to see Torino back in the top flight. Juventus to win it with Roma, Milan, Inter and Napoil to battle for second.
    For relegation Siena, Pescara and Cagliari. Always think that Chievo will go down but they always seem to stay up quite easily.
    Hopefully it will be a good season.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Well, when he's fit I think Pato is probably the best striker in the league now, but that's the problem, WHEN IS HE FECKING FIT?!
    Yeah, it's between him and Cavani anyway but I don't know why, I just have a feeling that he will go most of the season without any injuries this year and if he does he'll bang them in, like I said it's just a feeling I have and I could end up being completely wrong.

GDS and Sky Italia are also reporting that Inter and Napoli have agreed the transfer of Gargano with a loan this season with option to buy next summer totaling €6.5m. If true it is a very good deal for Inter, and if the Cassano-Pazzo figures(also being reported by GDS) are true that means we are basically getting Gargano and Cassano for Pazzo, that would be very good business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

GDS and Sky Italia are also reporting that Inter and Napoli have agreed the transfer of Gargano with a loan this season with option to buy next summer totaling €6.5m. If true it is a very good deal for Inter, and if the Cassano-Pazzo figures(also being reported by GDS) are true that means we are basically getting Gargano and Cassano for Pazzo, that would be very good business.

I saw this earlier and hoped it was nothing more than groundless paper talk.

I like Gargano as a player, he's very solid and not a player we should be selling to a direct rival.

I also saw a story saying that Genoa might be signing Vargas, which would piss me off quite a lot too. The guy has barely featured the first team, he deserves a bit of a chance before being shipped off.

Yeah I read that about Vargas too, surely if he goes anywhere it should only be on loan, he hasn't had enough game time to make a proper judgement yet. I reckon they should keep him anyway, I think if he gets games he'll be better than Pandev this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

It would be a shame to lose Vargas but tbh with all the positive noises about Insigne pre season, it looks like Vargas will be the odd man out. He desperatley needs games so I would not be against a loan deal, but a permanent transfer would be madness. Oh and gutted to lose Gargano btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I see Pato is injured. *insert shocked face*

Hopefully it's not too bad, he really needs to have a good spell without injury because he is one of the best forwards around and it be a shame if he couldn't fulfill his potential because of persistent injuries. This means Pazzo should start at the weekend I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Antonio CONTE cleared of all charges for Novara-Siena. Found guilty for Albinoleffe-Siena. 10-MONTH BAN upheld.

Angelo ALESSIO 8-month ban reduced to 6 months.

PEPE & BONUCCI cleared of all charges again.

Conte and Alessio are appealing to CONI now.

• Advertisement

Looking like Boateng behind Pazzo and Robson for the weekend.

Hopefully Pazzo has his scoring boots on because Robinho couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

carlop wrote: »

I saw this earlier and hoped it was nothing more than groundless paper talk.

I like Gargano as a player, he's very solid and not a player we should be selling to a direct rival.

I also saw a story saying that Genoa might be signing Vargas, which would piss me off quite a lot too. The guy has barely featured the first team, he deserves a bit of a chance before being shipped off.
    Dzemaili can do almost everything that Gargano can do. I also think he's more inclined than Gargano to make forward breaks into opposition penalty box.

Now Inler, he would be a bigger loss than Gargano.

Great start to the season for Samp with a win at the San Siro.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Doesn't bode well for Roma losing 2-1 at home to Catania. I was expecting big things from them this year.

milan will be lucky to qualify for the Europa Cup going by today. worst Milan team since Fatih Terim was manager. depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Sadly I didn't see the AC game, that squad is not looking good. They've changed so much it's ridiculous. Pazzini was always one of my favourite players though, delighted he's at Milan.

oh just wondering does anyone know any site that shows highlights of all the Serie A games? I'd love to escape the premier league bollocks for a while this season. I haven't watched a full season of Italian football since it was on Eurosport on the telly. I'm not looking for 'recipes' of any games, just something like MOTD for serie A that's online

Been spoilt over the years as a Milan fan so I suppose we'll get very little pity for this very barren spell we're about to enter. Horrible performace today, hoping it at least makes them loosen the pursestrings a little before the window shuts.

Heartbroken for Udinese tonight:(

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Heartbroken for Udinese tonight:(

It's very bad for the League too. They obviously earned their 3rd place last season, but it's hard not to feel like a CL spot was wasted on them, especially after their activity in the transfer market this summer.

• Advertisement

carlop wrote: »
    It's very bad for the League too. They obviously earned their 3rd place last season, but it's hard not to feel like a CL spot was wasted on them, especially after their activity in the transfer market this summer.

Heh bitter Napoli fan much, it wouldn't be too bad if the Italian teams actually bothered in the Europa league but there's no hunger for that competition at all in Italy it seems which really doesn't help their plight when it comes to coefficients.

Feel bad for Guidolin, the job he's done there is nothing short of amazing, rebuilding squads year after year. Pity that the CL qualifiers happen to be so early in the bedding in period as the team at the start of the year is always a shadow of that at the end as players are so unfamilier with each other. ADN looked absolutety gutted too, could tell how much it meant to him.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Heh bitter Napoli fan much, it wouldn't be too bad if the Italian teams actually bothered in the Europa league but there's no hunger for that competition at all in Italy it seems which really doesn't help their plight when it comes to coefficients.

Feel bad for Guidolin, the job he's done there is nothing short of amazing, rebuilding squads year after year. Pity that the CL qualifiers happen to be so early in the bedding in period as the team at the start of the year is always a shadow of that at the end as players are so unfamilier with each other. ADN looked absolutety gutted too, could tell how much it meant to him.

This is pretty much on the money alright :pac:

Seriously though, something needs to be done to stop the league sliding any further. Could the clubs be sanctioned by the FIGC for fielding weakened teams in the Europa League perhaps?

It will be some achievement of Udinese pull it off again this year, but as you say they do seem to go on an incredible run of form from around late February every year.

I suppose they must have a very good scouting system in place.

Personally I'm delighted Udinese went to extra time tonight ahead of their match with Juve at the weekend. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I see Milan are taking Bojan off Roma, seems a strange choice for them.

I see Milan are taking Bojan off Roma, seems a strange choice for them.
    Seems like a panic buy.

Seems like a panic buy.

Panic Loan.

Which isn't quite a bad.

• Advertisement

Lazio's Europa League game this evening has really captured the public's imagination.

A1kRKBUCYAAL5tJ.jpg:large

europa cup means nothing to Italians in fairness...

LOL at Pazzini's dive!
    Took the peno well though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A bit of a dive, but there was a shirt pull. I'd have given it, no reason for Pazzini to go down, he was in one-on-one..

and the nocerino does that, ffs.

Do Jong on for montolivo, hom Ricardo isn't too bad. We need him this season.

Diamanti deserved that.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

If only Di Viao was still there..

Playing some nice stuff are Bologna.

Remember that really **** turkish lad Terim signed, Umit Davala, I'd ****ing have him in the team at this stage.

Bloody woeful.

This little serbian fecker better do something.

wat...

What a howler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What a dreadful keeper.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Harsh on Bologna who've looked the more likely, but that's the game..

Bojan with those famous Catalan dance moves.

Pazzini hat trick.

Hattrick...

Not a bad way to say hello...

We are still ****.

• Advertisement
Advertisement