Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 21-08-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey lads i was wondering if you can get a colt 1911 in .45 acp or .22lr here in ireland, does any know? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

you can't get one in 45acp anymore but you can get one in .22 if you have the magazine plugged to only accept five rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If you're a member of a range and have the proper security you can licence a 5 shot .22lr 1911.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

MickDay wrote: »
    Hey lads i was wondering if you can get a colt 1911 in .45 acp or .22lr here in ireland, does any know? :confused:

.45 no unless u owned a centre fire pistol before the laws have changed, you can now only get a .22 with mag capacity less than 5 and have to be a member of a target shooting club with pistol range.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Why would you want a smelly old 1911 anyway. I'd give my left one for a Walther P99 :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

ah but he can get a smelly old 1911 you can't get a smelly p99 though only the very smelly p22 which stink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I think these are on the list as a mk2/3

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,021 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Why would you want a smelly old 1911 anyway. I'd give my left one for a Walther P99 :-P

Give me a 1911 anyday over the P99..Its a Germanic joke!:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

From what I hear the GSG 1911 is the one to go with for a 22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

You CAN get a genuine Colt M1911 in .22 - it's called the Colt Ace and uses a very interesting floating expansion chamber system to simulate the recoil of the .45 with the .22Rf cartridge - VERY clever. Mine was made in 1937 or 8, I seem to remember being told.

A bit pricey, but what a talking point gun!

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Give me a 1911 anyday over the P99..Its a Germanic joke!:)
    Germanic joke? ? Go away with ya, sure everyone knows the Germans don't do humour.

• Advertisement

AH! But they do!!![being half of one myself:p],but it is a very unique technicall and dry sense of humour,which does not translate at all well into English,or our [UK Irish] doesnt translate into German very well either.

Hence I was saying the Germanic joke on us..Everyone B&M's about HK trigger pulls,as they do with the Walther.[Both of which to me feel like they were put together by a troll somwhere in a cave in the Black Forest..]Everyone except Germans that is!!
    Ergo to the German mind if you have no problem with it,you must be German!! Gettit?? Oh Well!:p
    That of course in Germany would be a most humourous wittisim and you would be a laugh a minute guy cracking jokes like that.
    Here that would be as funny as a dead pig in a heat wave!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I always thought it's interesting that the Americans, who can have almost any type of pistol they want, and who buy a lot of pistols from just about every country that exports them, still overwhelmingly choose the 1911 platform for serious target shooting...just saying ;)

Still even though I'm a huge 1911 fan boy and I have one in .45ACP I'd still look at other .22s before settling on a 1911 - for instance the Ruger 22/45 replicates the 1911 grip quite well and is a tried and tested platform with a huge support base.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Na......... you want the no 2 Luger in .45 ACP - a bargain at $1 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

firefly08 wrote: »
    I always thought it's interesting that the Americans, who can have almost any type of pistol they want, and who buy a lot of pistols from just about every country that exports them, still overwhelmingly choose the 1911 platform for serious target shooting...just saying ;)
    Depends on the discipline - you don't see any of the ISSF pistol shooters there using 1911 pattern pistols or grips, even in the fullbore pistol events.

Sparks wrote: »
    Depends on the discipline - you don't see any of the ISSF pistol shooters there using 1911 pattern pistols or grips, even in the fullbore pistol events.

True...I was thinking of Bullseye shooting, but that is just one of many disciplines.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

True...I was thinking of Bullseye shooting, but that is just one of many disciplines.
    Not to mention that Bullseye pretty much demands a .45 cal pistol in the rules; and there just aren't that many non-1911 pattern .45s out there. Plus, 1911s are cheap in the US compared to here, so you'll see more of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Not to mention that Bullseye pretty much demands a .45 cal pistol in the rules; and there just aren't that many non-1911 pattern .45s out there. Plus, 1911s are cheap in the US compared to here, so you'll see more of them.

Obviously you don't shop at Wilson Combat, Ed Brown or Les Baer lol. Theyre not cheap to anyone!! I've one on order that is guaranteed to shoot 1.5" groups at 50 yards. Should help with shooting 6" plates at 75 yards!!!

Have to disagree there, on both counts- I can hardly think of a major brand (US or European) that doesn't have a .45 on the US market. And generally 1911s are a lot more expensive than the others. You can buy a 1911 for around the same price as a Glock, CZ or something along those lines but most serious bullseye shooters wouldn't touch those 1911s - the likes of Colt, Springfield and Kimber are considered the entry level for competitive bullseye. These would be around twice the price of a Glock 21.

Obviously you don't shop at Wilson Combat, Ed Brown or Les Baer lol. Theyre not cheap to anyone!! I've one on order that is guaranteed to shoot 1.5" groups at 50 yards. Should help with shooting 6" plates at 75 yards!!!

Or go to Auto Ordanance or Norinco,or your local gunshow ,and DIY one for 250 dollars:D

Again depends on what you want the 1911 to do..Do you want a super accruate gun for Bullseye[which can be shot with 9mm as well] or an IPSC "race gun",or a IPDA,or concealed carry home defender??It's all relative.You can get alot of "Franken .45" built out of parts kits that are good starter guns or pay thousands for a custom 45.
    Or if you are doing a version of cowboy action shooting[yes there is one that allows 1911s called South of the Border] it has to be the standard rattly inaccruate rice corn sight GI issue1911.
    Sparks is right that everyone and his dog makes a 1911 over nowadays,but ya gets what ya pays for.

• Advertisement

A huge amount of the 1911's are made in the phillipines and sold in america with american names on them, rock island , springfield etc and there is nothing wrong with them. I had a single stack 1911 made by tanfoglio (until minister dopey had a bright idea) and it wasn't expensive at all , very accurate and very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Or go to Auto Ordanance or Norinco,or your local gunshow ,and DIY one for 250 dollars:D

Again depends on what you want the 1911 to do..Do you want a super accruate gun for Bullseye[which can be shot with 9mm as well] or an IPSC "race gun",or a IPDA,or concealed carry home defender??It's all relative.You can get alot of "Franken .45" built out of parts kits that are good starter guns or pay thousands for a custom 45.
    Or if you are doing a version of cowboy action shooting[yes there is one that allows 1911s called South of the Border] it has to be the standard rattly inaccruate rice corn sight GI issue1911.
    Sparks is right that everyone and his dog makes a 1911 over nowadays,but ya gets what ya pays for.

The Norinco's are
    Really popular here in Canada. not so in USA as its illegal to
    Import them due to fact of where they're made. Most people buy them as a base for upgrading. The steel in them is very good. Personally I prefer a custom
    1911. Life's too short for anything else lol

Actually you need a .45 regardless. There are 3 parts to the competition: .22, centrefire and .45. The "centrefire" part can be anything from .32 to .45 - so because everyone has to have a .45 anyway, and most people put a huge amount of effort into customizing and practicing with their 1911, almost everyone uses the .45 for both the .45 and centrefire rounds.

It's true that there are cheap ones and you get what you pay for etc. but my point was that even though you could shoot bullseye with any of the countless non-1911 pattern .45s made by Glock, H&K, Sig, CZ, Springfield, S&W, Ruger, Tanfoglio etc - all of which are readily available in the US - American shooters nevertheless choose the 1911 platform almost exclusively for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

In the USA 1911 clones are plentiful, I guesstimate 25-30 known manufacturers. With decent quality control the pistol will be inherently accurate and eternally reliable. Since it is a very successful American design no surprize it remains extremely popular in America. Its not the easiest pistol to master and shoot accurately, but it beats many choppy 9s.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=302159799

For an accurate "out of the box" gun, if you are in North America or can qualify with a suitable license, look for a Colt Series 70 Mk IV. Mine will do 2" at 25 yards with factory or reloaded hard ball, thats good enough for me. I paid $400 for it slightly used some years ago. You can still find a good one in the $500 - $1000 range. Just keep that prong bushing lubricated and hope it doesn't break.

packas wrote: »
    The Norinco's are
    Really popular here in Canada. not so in USA as its illegal to
    Import them due to fact of where they're made. Most people buy them as a base for upgrading. The steel in them is very good. Personally I prefer a custom
    1911. Life's too short for anything else lol

Hmmm,that must have changed somtime,because when I lived over in the 90's in the US.The Norincos were in plentiful supply and were cheap 'n cheerful,everyone was saying how good the steel in the frame was.
    They had a Hi Cap version that was somthing like 50% cheaper than Para Ordanance at the time.
    I was seriously thinking of getting one as a base pistol at the time,but was talked into a Glock instead.

Hmmm,that must have changed somtime,because when I lived over in the 90's in the US.The Norincos were in plentiful supply and were cheap 'n cheerful,everyone was saying how good the steel in the frame was.
    They had a Hi Cap version that was somthing like 50% cheaper than Para Ordanance at the time.
    I was seriously thinking of getting one as a base pistol at the time,but was talked into a Glock instead.

Norinco were barred by clinton from importing firearms etc into the states because they were making and supplying a lot of nuclear kit to the north koreans illegally and were also caught in a sting by the fbi or cia or someone agreeing to import large amounts of full-auto rifles etc into america with forged paperwork.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=77146

FECK!! Guess my Norinco MAK 90 must be worth a small fortune over there then???:D:D A I bought mine in CA in 1995 when the ban came in.

Advertisement