Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 1 elective limit

Options
  • 21-08-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I'll be starting stage 2 engineering in Sept and am trying to decide what electives to pick.
    I've read there's a limit on the number of level 1 electives you can take but it seems to be fairly confusing.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/levels_modules.pdf
    seems to say there are no restrictions :confused:
    I heard theres a limit of 30 credits from level 1 electives you can do for a degree but cant find that in writing anywhere..

I did two level one electives last year and was about to do the same again.
    I'd like to be able to do a level 1 elective towards the end of my degree to ease the workload a bit so dont want to have them all used up.

Anyone know more than I do about this stuff??

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Over all is seems to be the same as the arts course and I'll base it on a 3 year course (180 credits).
    80 Credits can be taken at Level 1. If you took 10 credits at Level 0, this would reduce to 70, but this would be unusual.
    The remaining 100 have to be taken at Level 2 or above - 40 of this is expected to be Level 3 or above.

For the 1st year you took 60 credits including your electives. These were more than likely Level 1.
    You now have 20 credits available that you can take at Level 1, with everything else (100 credits) being Level 2 or more.
    For year 2 and year 3 you can take electives at Level 1, but the rest of your course modules would have to be Level 2 or higher.

This is mainly to insure that the students don't run around taking all entry level modules to try complete their degree so they just capped the Level 1 credits. Unless you took extra modules during first year, you can still take your electives at Level 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

In Engineering you generally wont have any electives in 4th year anyway, so even if you took level 1 on 2nd & 3rd year you wouldn't be over the limit you're allowed. There are some fairly easy level 2s and 3s though, so try & pick areas of interest to you because you will do better in those than say picking a level 1 language because you think it'll be easy if it's level 1 but you actually hate languages. You'll generally do better in things that interest you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm single major, so have 25 core credits selected for me each semester, all level 2 in second year and all level 3 or 2 in 3rd year (going in to 2nd year of 3 year degree), so I only have 1 elective to choose for my remaining 4 semesters. Can I choose all level 1 electives, as I did 60 level 1 credits in 1st year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I'm single major, so have 25 core credits selected for me each semester, all level 2 in second year and all level 3 or 2 in 3rd year (going in to 2nd year of 3 year degree), so I only have 1 elective to choose for my remaining 4 semesters. Can I choose all level 1 electives, as I did 60 level 1 credits in 1st year?

I think. Did you not get the email with the link for the conditions to be met to graduate with each degree type?

[Jackass] wrote: »

If you are a single major and you have 25 core, means you have 25 option in that subject. You should still have 10 credits for the year to be used in what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 willumm

Maldesu wrote: »
    Over all is seems to be the same as the arts course and I'll base it on a 3 year course (180 credits).
    80 Credits can be taken at Level 1. If you took 10 credits at Level 0, this would reduce to 70, but this would be unusual.
    The remaining 100 have to be taken at Level 2 or above - 40 of this is expected to be Level 3 or above.

For the 1st year you took 60 credits including your electives. These were more than likely Level 1.
    You now have 20 credits available that you can take at Level 1, with everything else (100 credits) being Level 2 or more.
    For year 2 and year 3 you can take electives at Level 1, but the rest of your course modules would have to be Level 2 or higher.

This is mainly to insure that the students don't run around taking all entry level modules to try complete their degree so they just capped the Level 1 credits. Unless you took extra modules during first year, you can still take your electives at Level 1.

Sorry for dragging this up a year later but I thought it'd be easier than starting a new thread.

In my case, I'm starting third year now and because one of my option modules last year was a level one, I am currently only 5 credits away from reaching the limit of level 1s.

I am going on exchange for semester two next year so I'm hoping I can do a level 1 elective in the first semester and seeing as I'll be away for the second semester, I can let the modules I do abroad cover all the level 2 & 3 credit criteria.
    I have researched my host University and I'll be doing all level 2 & 3 equivalent modules over there anyway.

I just want to be sure that UCD wont say you haven't met the criteria, I doubt they would though seeing as I wouldn't be actually exceeding the limits of the level 1 credits, just being efficient in my choosing of modules... :)

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

As long as you don't take additional level 1 modules you should be ok. Best thing to do is talk to your school about it or Facebook the UCD Registry page who are usually quick enough about getting back to you (as in, they do get back to you)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 willumm

Maldesu wrote: »
    As long as you don't take additional level 1 modules you should be ok. Best thing to do is talk to your school about it or Facebook the UCD Registry page who are usually quick enough about getting back to you (as in, they do get back to you)

Yeah thanks, I'll be in contact with my degree coordinator first thing in Sept to sign off on the modules for exchange so he should be able to tell me..

I just asked here because I'm trying to avoid emailing him as he tends to go on rants in his replies :rolleyes:, he's not so bad in person...

willumm wrote: »

I just asked here because I'm trying to avoid emailing him as he tends to go on rants in his replies :rolleyes:, he's not so bad in person...

Facebook registry and they'll annoy him for you... or at least annoy someone in the know.

Advertisement