Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing weight too quickly?

• 21-08-2012 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

I started a diet on the 1st January. So far I've lost just under 3 stone. Recently a good few people have commented that I should come off the diet for a while as it's not good to lose weight too quickly. I have heard this before but I don't think I have lost weight too quickly. It's taken me nearly 8 months so far, and I still have at least another 3 stone to go. Am I losing weight at a safe pace? I don't want to just pile it all back on again when I do eventually come off the diet:(

Comments

42 pounds in 33 weeks sounds fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

They say that you wouldn't want to be losing more than 3 pounds a week. You're well within that anyway.

That's a solid weight loss from a diet though. I hope exercise is contributing too and you're not just starving yourself, which can lead to many health problems such as chronic fatigue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

lorrieq wrote: »
    They say that you wouldn't want to be losing more than 3 pounds a week. You're well within that anyway.

That's a solid weight loss from a diet though. I hope exercise is contributing too and you're not just starving yourself, which can lead to many health problems such as chronic fatigue.

I like my food way too much to starve:) There's plenty of exercise involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

The people that are telling you to come off the diet are probably just jealous. I had colleagues and family tell me that when I lost a few stone. "Oh you're too thin now" and "Your face is gaunt looking" etc. I'm still 11 stone for feck sake! Ignore them, as long as you're feeling good keep at it until YOU are happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Recently a good few people have commented that I should come off the diet for a while as it's not good to lose weight too quickly.

Nobody wants to be left behind
    You are working on self improvement and they are doing whatever they always did

Ignore them and keep doing what you are doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

+1 for the previous two posts.

oh, just eat crao again for a little while. dont get too slim too fast.

thats nonsense when youre talking 3stone in 8months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Glitter

Nothing to worry about there at all, I started a week later than you and I'm down just shy of 48lbs. So your loss sounds right on target to me.

I third what was said about green eyed monsters. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

congrats OP great progress. I have to say that's the stupidest advice I've ever heard - you should go back to what was presumably an unhealthy diet.

Keep going and best of luck getting to your goal

Thanks for all the positive replies. I would have liked to have more lost by now (but there have been a few set backs along the way) which is why I was so surprised by the comments I've been getting. Most of the negative comments have come from people who went on the obligatory January diet but only lasted a few weeks so maybe it is a case of jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 graigavern

Visit

https://www.facebook.com/healthychoicenutrition?ref=hl

those guys there be able to help you out, as they give good tips every week.

The weight your losing is good, it's well within the limits. Keep up the good work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

About 10 years ago I lost 3 stone in 6 months. Sounds Good? Not quite, I stuck to a diet, was very good, but did no exercise. Just lost weight.

Of course, I then went back to normal, put back on the 3 stone over the next 2 years, but because I didn't exercise, I lost muscle as well as fat, but then I put on just fat. So now I am back at the same weight, but its all fat :eek:

People told me I was too thin at one stage, but I wasn't really. I should have stuck with it, but I should have got fit as well. :(

By the way, loosing about 1.5 to 2 pounds a week is fine. Stick with it, and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭vibes23

Thats deadly progress. What is the diet your on ? Are you following any program ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

You're doing great! I've lost about the same amount as you and I feel great. I also had planned to have about twice as much lost by now but I'm averaging a pound a week (which is what most healthy-living sites suggest) and I'm happy with that. I can't believe people are telling you that you're losing weight too quickly, how can someone not be supportive of your efforts to try and better yourself :confused: I hope the comments don't put you off.

vibes23 wrote: »
    Thats deadly progress. What is the diet your on ? Are you following any program ?

I'm not on any particular diet, as I find them too restricting. I'm using my fitness pal to track calories. They allow me 1230 calories a day before exercise, and then whatever else I want to eat I earn through exercise. I find it great because it means no food is off limits :) I also get most of my receipes from the Rosemary Conley magazines because they have great low calorie alternatives to popular meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭vibes23

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I'm not on any particular diet, as I find them too restricting. I'm using my fitness pal to track calories. They allow me 1230 calories a day before exercise, and then whatever else I want to eat I earn through exercise. I find it great because it means no food is off limits :) I also get most of my receipes from the Rosemary Conley magazines because they have great low calorie alternatives to popular meals.

thats brill i started using it too and tryin same thing,. havnt been gettin result slike that although im only really getting into it. Best app ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hellosunshine2

I am not in the position to say something about proper ways of losing weight but I guess you're doing good. As what everyone here is telling you, your shedding off weight is just within the limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sky is the limit

OP Can I ask what was your original starting weight? If you were not massively overweight say about 10-11 stones then 3 stones off that would be perhaps becoming unhealthily underweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

OP Can I ask what was your original starting weight? If you were not massively overweight say about 10-11 stones then 3 stones off that would be perhaps becoming unhealthily underweight.

The OP said she has another 3 stone to lose on top of what she's lost already. Fair play to you OP, ignore them, that is very good going.

Advertisement