Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching myself a subject? which one would be best??

• 21-08-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I'm wanting to teach myself an extra subject to have as my schools subject choices werent great and i ended up doing subjects that im not that strong at but im wanting to go for medicine. which subject would be the easiest to learn at home without a teacher ??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

I'd say Economics would be grand. You can almost learn the course from looking at pass papers. The course may be changing though, double check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

If you are anyway adequate in Higher Maths and Physics I would recommend Applied Maths, very similar paper each year and not too broad a course. Learned it pretty much alone and managed an A1 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭thebrendanr1

as yet I'm not sure about higher maths as it is the new course and I wasnt strong with it for junior cert so I will have to see how i get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I took up physics in November of LC and got an A1 taught myself. I say Physics. Also had a friend who taught himself Applied maths (although from start of fifth year) and I think he got an A2. Physics would be easy cause you probably do chemistry.

Economics, Business and Geography are also popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭thebrendanr1

well im doing physics,Biology, French and DCG so which do ye think would go best with that ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

With those subjects Physics/// But if you're anyway musical, Music.

well im doing physics,Biology, French and DCG so which do ye think would go best with that ??

I don't know how good you are at maths and physics, if you're an A student you could probably actually handle applied maths on your own and get an A. If I was in your position I'd something easier like business, but then it's quite difficult to get an A in business I hear, although it's relatively easy otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I took up physics in November of LC and got an A1 taught myself. I say Physics. Also had a friend who taught himself Applied maths (although from start of fifth year) and I think he got an A2. Physics would be easy cause you probably do chemistry.

Economics, Business and Geography are also popular.

I think geography field works booklets need to be signed off by teacher?

Millem wrote: »

Yeah but it's not as big a deal as Ag science I don't think, like in our geo class the people not in the class came along on the bus to the beach the one day we did investigation, then gave up the booklets couple weeks later when they were done.

Maybe it technically should be a problem? Depends how stiff the geo teacher in your school is, ours couldn't have cared less so long as it wasn't a lot of work for him. I'd say talk to the geo teacher before buying any books or anything, but the project is relatively straight forward.

When I did physics I told the principle in my school, because technically I had to be on the class list cause you have to do the mandatory experiments. I didn't ever actually see an experiment or join the class, but if somebody had checked they would have been covered, same could be applied to geography here I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i'd recommend geography to anyone but make sure you can find a teacher to sign off the project:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Millem wrote: »

Yeah but it's not as big a deal as Ag science I don't think, like in our geo class the people not in the class came along on the bus to the beach the one day we did investigation, then gave up the booklets couple weeks later when they were done.

Maybe it technically should be a problem? Depends how stiff the geo teacher in your school is, ours couldn't have cared less so long as it wasn't a lot of work for him. I'd say talk to the geo teacher before buying any books or anything, but the project is relatively straight forward.

When I did physics I told the principle in my school, because technically I had to be on the class list cause you have to do the mandatory experiments. I didn't ever actually see an experiment or join the class, but if somebody had checked they would have been covered, same could be applied to geography here I'd say.

It is a big deal! They need to sign an official form to say it is students' own work!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'd be wrong.

It's a legal document, for all subjects.
    A teacher who would sign off on a project without being sure it was the candidate's own work is committing fraud.
    The SEC see it as a really big deal.

Oh I'm sure the SEC see it as a big deal, but I was only referring to the teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

You're not doing Chemistry? I thought you need chemistry for the majority of Medicine courses? :/ Maybe, you should probably consider doing that as an extra subject? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

If you're heading for medicine, Chemistry. You need it if you're to apply anywhere in the UK or Northern Ireland. I'm also sure it's mandatory if applying for Medicine in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭DestructiveApe

Business is quite easy to learn, i took it up for LCVP, did the ordinary level paper and simply read through the revison book and came out with an A2 , if you put the effort in at home i'm sure you could get a good grade at higher level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Id agree that Business could be learned with just the textbook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ice And Fire

Ag science or Ag economics are said to be manageable. However personally I found history to be suitable for self-teaching. I took it up in my repeat year and got an A2 at higher. I may have had a little bit of luck on my side by guessing aspects of the paper in June, but with a good set of prepared essays and an insight on the structure of the exam, you should manage.

Btw, there is a research report to be submitted usually around April. It doesn't take too long but it's best to get it done during Christmas hols. :D Hit me with any questions if u have em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

I would really recommend economics, I found that it was mostly common sense!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ag science or Ag economics are said to be manageable. However personally I found history to be suitable for self-teaching. I took it up in my repeat year and got an A2 at higher. I may have had a little bit of luck on my side by guessing aspects of the paper in June, but with a good set of prepared essays and an insight on the structure of the exam, you should manage.

Btw, there is a research report to be submitted usually around April. It doesn't take too long but it's best to get it done during Christmas hols. :D Hit me with any questions if u have em.

You have to get a teacher to sign off that the research essay is your own work so you need to keep that in mind if choosing history.

• Advertisement
Advertisement