Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tailgating and Road Rage

• 21-08-2012 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I'm tailgated at least once a day. Gotten worse since the recession, nobody let's me out of a space, and no one waves thanks when I let them out. Stories from your travels ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

You are either paranoid or a very slow driver. I am rarely tail-gated and mostly let out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your in the wrong lane or driving too slow either way pull the fcuk over and let people past. Wimmin:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

My brother has the most incredible solution to tailgating. He slows down. Doesn't matter if he has somewhere important to be, he'll drive as slow as he can get away with, and feed on their tears of rage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 The MiniVan

Brake really hard for no reason next time somebody is tailgating you!A nice big claim against their insurance policy will teach them when they slam into the back of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

My brother has the most incredible solution to tailgating. He slows down. Doesn't matter if he has somewhere important to be, he'll drive as slow as he can get away with, and feed on their tears of rage.

incredible :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Do you drive a nissan tiida or note? If you do, I wouldn't let you out, because tiida and note drivers are by far the slowest drivers to ever drive our roads.

Actually, come to think of it, I have never seen anyone under the age of 60 drive a tiida. It's like pensioners who buy them are making an erroneous statement about their driving skill. The car just screams "I had no idea what to spend my retirement money on so I bought this heap of crap". They drive like they are bored of their retirement and try to savour their car journey from shop to house by driving as slowly as possible just to pass the time.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Lollers wrote: »
    I'm tailgated at least once a day.

Another kick in the teeth for the Save Ulster from Sodomy campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Colmustard wrote: »
    You are either paranoid or a very slow driver. I am rarely tail-gated and mostly let out.

Really, I drive an MX5, it's know as a donkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

incredible :rolleyes:

What a contribution to the thread. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

OP drive faster or Pull in simple. But Stick to the speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I don't tailgate anyone, but I'm admittedly an angry driver. I honestly don't know how some people have their licenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

there is never anybody behind me long enough to tailgate , maybe you drive a little slow ? or dont look in your mirrors very often...

Brake really hard for no reason next time somebody is tailgating you!A nice big claim against their insurance policy will teach them when they slam into the back of you!

better hope there's no witnesses to that dangerous act, as that's what you will face, a dangerous driving charge and rightfully so :mad:

http://http://businessandlegal.ie/dangerous-driving-careless-driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Two wrongs don't make a right.

And their insurance will investigate why you were braking really hard for no reason and will hold you at least partly responsible when they find out that it was because you were trying to cause an collision.

that's a stupid and dangerous idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I would let you into a a space and wave at you ; and would keep the 2 second rule when behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

I find that a continuous spray of my window washer makes them back off...

Really annoying for them so it is....

The kind of tailgater I'm talking about is the kind that's right up yer jacksie on a very busy N/M4 and there's nowhere to go....

Funny story.... I was on the M4 about a year ago and this knob in an E-Class Merc tore right up to me.... I was travelling and a good speed on the motorway but was about to move over when he then went right up me flashing and honking.... He had room to get around if he really wanted to. So I 'slowly' slowed down - not braked mind you - and started my windscreen spray.... He started going nuts and weaving and bobbing behind me.... I'd say he got to about an inch of my rear.... Then, he swung out and pushed hard past me. I could see what was coming next.... His manouver was to swing right in front of me and brake hard.... but quick as a flash I whipped out left but he braked too hard.... I saw the look of panic on his face as I passed him by on the left and he realised that he braked into the path of another car...... Made my day...... I felt sorry for the car he nearly wrecked though..... If I hadn't pulled out he'd have creamed us both.... Well, I reckon my XC90 would have stood a better chance.....

Really, I drive an MX5, it's know as a donkey.

most modern cars are well capable of easily doing 140kpm, maybe you just do to much dilly-dallying (yes its a word ) :D

When I was learning to drive, i had about 4 lessons and I thought I would brave a journey to work. I borrowed my Ma's car as I was insured in it, a tiny little pinkish fiesta. I was going down a country lane absolutely sh1tting probably at about 25 MPH thinking I was flying. I just was waving everyone by, wondering WTF was I thinking.

A landrover pulled up about 6 inches behind me flashing his beams and beeping his horn, I waved him on but he persisted so I pulled in and stopped, He whored by me with only inches to spare and stopped about 30 yards from me and got out.

It was a combination of fear and anger, I said right battlemode I hopped out of my car fists clenched and made a run at him, he looked, his jaw dropped at a 6"3 broad shouldered young lad running at him. He scrambled back into his landrover and locked the doors and flooded his engine trying to start it.

Then i booted his door pulled his door handle off in rage and start looking for something to break his window, then he got away. That was my only ever incident of road rage. I am convinced he thought I was a woman.

PS Jeep doors are fukcen hard I limped back to the car and had a nightmare clutching with a soar foot.

I have gotten push bike rage since then. But that is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

I have only recently started driving to and from work and I'm amazed by how comparatively good the driving is at rush hour compared to weekends. Weekends drive me bananas, but heavy traffic during the week is generally sensible with people letting in, waving, etc. There's a sense that we're all in this together.

• Advertisement

The kind of tailgater I'm talking about is the kind that's right up yer jacksie on a very busy N/M4 and there's nowhere to go....

Funny story.... I was on the M4 about a year ago and this knob in an E-Class Merc tore right up to me.... I was travelling and a good speed and was about to move over when he then went right up me flashing and honking.... He had room to get around if he really wanted to. So I 'slowly' slowed down - not braked mind you - and started my windscreen spray.... He started going nuts and weaving and bobbing behind me.... I'd say he got to about an inch of my rear.... Then, he swung out and pushed hard past me. I could see what was coming next.... His manouver was to swing right in front of me and brake hard.... but quick as a flash I whipped out but he braked too hard.... I saw the look of panic on his face as I passed him by on the left and he realised that he braked into the path of another car...... Made my day...... I felt sorry for the car he nearly wrecked though.....

You helped contribute to some innocent driver nearly getting crashed into because you wanted to antagonise another driver
    good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Taxi drivers are the worst for tailgating where I live. It doesn't matter where you are and how fast you're going, they're right up your arse. They don't ever indicate either, even on a roundabout with several exits. They should have those "how am I driving?" stickers on their cars with a number to call so you can let the regulator know.

That is very very very stupid idea. Of all the stuff I have read on here over the months this takes the biscuit. You are going to cause an accident by doing this you utter nincompoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Abi wrote: »
    I don't tailgate anyone, but I'm admittedly an angry driver. I honestly don't know how some people have their licenses.
    license? what license? no-one mentioned needing a liciense to me:D

Funny story.... I was on the M4 about a year ago and this knob in an E-Class Merc tore right up to me.... I was travelling and a good speed on the motorway but was about to move over when he then went right up me flashing and honking.... He had room to get around if he really wanted to. So I 'slowly' slowed down - not braked mind you - and started my windscreen spray.... He started going nuts and weaving and bobbing behind me.... I'd say he got to about an inch of my rear.... Then, he swung out and pushed hard past me. I could see what was coming next.... His manouver was to swing right in front of me and brake hard.... but quick as a flash I whipped out left but he braked too hard.... I saw the look of panic on his face as I passed him by on the left and he realised that he braked into the path of another car...... Made my day...... I felt sorry for the car he nearly wrecked though..... If I hadn't pulled out he'd have creamed us both.... Well, I reckon my XC90 would have stood a better chance.....

Another complete idiot, yeah would have been a pity to have fatalities on the road just because somone has a better car than you

mod: banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

SocSocPol wrote: »
    license? what license? no-one mentioned needing a liciense to me:D

/face palm

:D

so you almost caused a crash? its people like you and him that should have their licenses taken away, the roads are not a place for silly games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

geneyuss wrote: »
    most modern cars are well capable of easily doing 140kpm, maybe you just do to much dilly-dallying (yes its a word ) :D

I don't dilly-dally. Frustrated losers drive up my bumper every day. Trying to over take, what ever the speed limit is.

Kurz wrote: »
    Taxi drivers are the worst for tailgating where I live. It doesn't matter where you are and how fast you're going, they're right up your arse. They don't ever indicate either, even on a roundabout with several exits. They should have those "how am I driving?" stickers on their cars with a number to call so you can let the regulator know.

they do have number plates and you can contact the regulator anytime

• Advertisement

I don't dilly-dally. Frustrated losers drive up my bumper every day. Trying to over take, what ever the speed limit is.

maybe your hot and they want a closer look ? ;) stop being so hot !!

The maximum speed allowed by law is 120 kph, and thats only on certain stretches of motorway. 140kpm would equate to 8400 kph btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

You really don't know tailgating until you cycle a bike on any of these "well kept " "good width" roads out gov had to offer.

User banned

The maximum speed allowed by law is 120 km, and thats only on certain stretches of motorway.

oh the law,,,,yes i forget about that :rolleyes:
    must not pass 120 KPH !!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I'm tailgated at least once a day. Gotten worse since the recession, nobody let's me out of a space, and no one waves thanks when I let them out. Stories from your travels ?

Weird, I hardly ever have problems getting out of a space or being tailgated. Maybe they are just scared of the giant snail shell on your back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHCxdlZ7G18

• Advertisement

oh the law,,,,yes i forget about that :rolleyes:
    must not pass 120 KPH !!!:P
    Thats right, you shouldnt pass 120kph, enough road deaths as it is in this country.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I am a pretty good driver generally. But I think I do tend to get angry at people who I perceive to have done wrong.

At one point some random set of random circumstances resulted in a toy gun appearing in my car.

So, as it was there I said I might as well use it.

Instead of getting angry at other drivers I'd pull the trigger on the toy gun and calmly imagine their faces imploding.

It took a few hours before I realised that pulling the trigger of a gun every time somebody annoyed me on the road was probably not a viable or sane long term solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I don't understand why some people can't grasp the simple idea of if someone wants to go faster than you, just let them by. If they're driving recklessly let them be someone else's problem. If you can't control your emotions behind the wheel, you shouldn't be driving IMO.

Thats right, you shouldnt pass 120kph, enough road deaths as it is in this country.

what about over-taking something doing 119kph ?

its irrelevant anyway, the op said they drove a Mx5, i was just pointing out all/most cars can go pretty fast, i wasn't condoning speeding, and i think you know that.

I am a pretty good driver generally. But I think I do tend to get angry at people who I perceive to have done wrong.

At one point some random set of random circumstances resulted in a toy gun appearing in my car.

Instead of getting angry at other drivers I'd pull the trigger on the toy gun and calmly imagine their faces imploding.

It took a few hours before I realised that pulling the trigger of a gun every time somebody annoyed me on the road was probably not a viable or sane long term solution.

Surprised you did not get arrested for doing this - toy gun or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think that would be acceptable! Provided of course that you don't speed.

To my credit, I am a very patient, considerate and easy going driver. I don't speed and I don't impede.

But my bicycle is a different story, I have banged roofs of cars and tore after people. It is you are perched on 2 wheels and very vulnerable, I actually think our cycle network is good, but some motorists generally don't give a sh1t about cyclists and don't give us the berth we need. It is getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I don't understand why some people can't grasp the simple idea of if someone wants to go faster than you, just let them by. If they're driving recklessly let them be someone else's problem. If you can't control your emotions behind the wheel, you shouldn't be driving IMO.
    That's a really selfish attitude tbh. Let them be someone else's problem could be your problem if they hit & killed/ seriously injured a member of your family.
    I have no problem with someone going faster than me, my ego isn't that precious that I have to win the battle of who's first on a road. But I draw the line at reckless & dangerous driving. It's one of the most retarded things a person can do.

So far as I am aware the signs say 120kph , not 120kph-ish, 120kph if it suits you!
    Fact is if the car ahead is doing 119kph the you shouldn't be trying to pass it, simples.
    Still since in an earlier post you claimed your car does 140kpm (which equates to 8400kph) you are hardly on the road, at that speed you would be in outer space!:D

Also, and just as an FYI for some posters here - if you exceed 120KM/H you won't suddenly and dramatically veer off the road in a ball of fire, despite what the RSA wants you to think.

There's a lot more to safe driving than obeying the speed limit and I believe that a competent and aware driver travelling in excess of 120KM/H (on a motorway for example) is far safer than the nervous, distracted driver travelling at 100KM/H. I've had some experience of driving abroad and in Germany in particular, their lane discipline and road manners are on another level. There's also nothing more humbling than being overtaken whilst you're travelling at 250KM/H.

Just touch the brakes slightly once or twice. Generally keeps tailgaters back.

Hate the cúnts.

your car wont turn into a ball of fire but you will be charged if caught by the guards or a speed camera -it is illegal

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Also, and just as an FYI for some posters here - if you exceed 120KM/H you won't suddenly and dramatically veer off the road in a ball of fire, despite what the RSA wants you to think.

There's a lot more to safe driving than obeying the speed limit and I believe that a competent and aware driver travelling in excess of 120KM/H (on a motorway for example) is far safer than the nervous, distracted driver travelling at 100KM/H. I've had some experience of driving abroad and in Germany in particular, their lane discipline and road manners are on another level. There's also nothing more humbling than being overtaken whilst you're travelling at 250KM/H.
    Obeying the speed limit is however one of the most important facets of safe driving, to claim otherwise or to engage in braking the speed limit because you think you know better is reckless imo.

That's a really selfish attitude tbh. Let them be someone else's problem could be your problem if they hit & killed/ seriously injured a member of your family.
    I have no problem with someone going faster than me, my ego isn't that precious that I have to win the battle of who's first on a road. But I draw the line at reckless & dangerous driving. It's one of the most retarded things a person can do.

I didn't think it needed spelling out, but if you believe someone is driving recklessly and / or endangering the public, report them to the Gardai. It's their job to deal with them, not yours or mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just shoot up a McDonalds. You know you want to

• Advertisement
Advertisement