Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tailgating and Road Rage

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

gsxr1 wrote: »
    And then they see how a dick really drives a car.

Heh.
    I'll be back in New York next month, I'll let everyone know you're missing the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TheChizler wrote: »
    Do you mean two lanes next to each other? It's still overtaking even if in separate lanes. The act is quite clear in saying this is not allowed. It goes into detail including the lane on the right in one of the exceptions, which implies that overtaking laws apply to multi-lane roads.

When I said multi lane road I meant any road with more than one lane going in the same direction, excluding the hard shoulder.

Seeing as you asked the question, I have looked up the rules of the road on the RSA website and copied and pasted it below. I hope it helps clarify the situation for overtaking on the left for everyone.

You may overtake on the left when
    You want to go straight ahead when the driver in front of you has moved
    out and signalled that they intend to turn right.
    You have signalled that you intend to turn left.
    Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is
    moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane.
    And I was referring to the more explicit and lawful Road Traffic Act.

You just said it wasn't illegal to pass on the left on a multi lane road, it wasn't clear that you were referring to the exceptions. It seemed like you were saying that you can always overtake on the left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

the_syco wrote: »
    And I've had to slow down as the person in the overtaking lane is going slower than the people in the inside lane. The would usually be going between 20kmph to 40kmph slower than the speed limit, and maybe 10kmph slower than the people on the inside lane. And I have to stay behind them until they move in, as in this case it would be illegal to undertake them.

Ill flash the lights, put my indicator on and give them about 30 seconds. After that, I'm overtaking on the inside. Fluck travelling the whole length of a motorway behind these idiots which I have done in the past - I once followed a Nissan Primera from the N2 junction of the M50 all the way to Dundrum (that's a long way). He was driving at 80kmp/h all the time in the overtaking lane with a line of cars behind him. Finally at Dundrum exit I thought he had seen sense when he indicated to move over. It turns out he was only moving over because that was his exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Motorist wrote: »
    Ill flash the lights, put my indicator on and give them about 30 seconds. After that, I'm overtaking on the inside. Fluck travelling the whole length of a motorway behind these idiots which I have done in the past - I once followed a Nissan Primera from the N2 junction of the M50 all the way to Dundrum (that's a long way). He was driving at 80kmp/h all the time in the overtaking lane with a line of cars behind him. Finally at Dundrum exit I thought he had seen sense when he indicated to move over. It turns out he was only moving over because that was his exit.

He was being a prick,had an incident the other night on a narrow,windy country road.The missus was driving when another car caught up with us,he must have been speeding as we were doing a decent speed for the road conditions.He was literally feet from the back of the car & then flashed his lights.I wouldn't mind but he pulled into an estate literally yards from our house.You literally couldn't drive any faster on that road unless you were suicidal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

TheChizler wrote: »
    And I was referring to the more explicit and lawful Road Traffic Act.

You just said it wasn't illegal to pass on the left on a multi lane road, it wasn't clear that you were referring to the exceptions. It seemed like you were saying that you can always overtake on the left.

Apologies for being unclear about what i meant.

However, for most people including myself, I would think that the language used in road traffic acts and other laws issued by the state can be very confusing.

That is why I quoted the rules of the road and didn't refer to the road traffic acts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement