Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tailgating and Road Rage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Mr Keek wrote: »
    I dont really get tailgated much as I drive appropiate speeds, but an old trick I used to love when i had my last car was to flick on my rear fogs lamps. They Were on both sides of the car directly below my tail lights.

Just flick them on for a couple secs whiles maintaining my speed. The driver behind me would always see red and assumed i hit the brakes.

Obviously checked my rear view first to make sure there was no one behind them.

Can't do it on my new car as i've only the rear fog on one side now!

Just bear in mind if you do that it's entirely possible that they will brake in turn and slam into the car behind them, or lose control and slam into a car in the other lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Muir wrote: »
    One night recently on a country road, some crazy person decided to try overtake a line of 6 cars on a blind bend. Of course 2 cars start coming down the other side of the road & the person in front of us managed to give him enough room to move in ahead of them. I can't understand people doing crazy things like that, and of course he didn't get any further ahead of us the whole way, so I don't even get the point.

you wonder about the signage as well.
    I was driving down in Kerry and there was an unbroken line on the straight section of a few roads but broken for passing out at big bends where you could not see what was coming around the bend against you.

Some Yoke wrote: »
    What is it with people driving around with full headlights and refusing to dim them for on coming traffic and cars in front?? Drove for 40 mins with some cnut behind me, full and foglights on, on a mild clear evening. So distracting and irritating.

how do you get their attention to the problem? flick the lights?

Also, I would broadly class myself as a decent driver.
    Well I wouldn't since you think it's great craic to nearly cause a crash involving a totally innocent third party just because you don't like another driver on the road.
    That's a really selfish attitude tbh. Let them be someone else's problem could be your problem if they hit & killed/ seriously injured a member of your family.
    I have no problem with someone going faster than me, my ego isn't that precious that I have to win the battle of who's first on a road. But I draw the line at reckless & dangerous driving. It's one of the most retarded things a person can do.
    With all due respect, it's not even remotely up to you to "draw a line" anywhere. You don't have advanced driver training (or so I assume), and you're not guardian of the roads. If you're that concerned about someone's driving, pull over immediately and call the guards. Do not start trying to mess around with them in some misguided attempt to "draw the line". All you may end up doing is making a bad situation worse. Like the poster above this quote who hated a tailgater so much he nearly got him to crash into a different car altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

Some Yoke wrote: »
    What is it with people driving around with full headlights and refusing to dim them for on coming traffic and cars in front?? Drove for 40 mins with some cnut behind me, full and foglights on, on a mild clear evening. So distracting and irritating.

i turn on my rear fog lights for these special people.
    Mr Keek wrote: »
    I dont really get tailgated much as I drive appropiate speeds, but an old trick I used to love when i had my last car was to flick on my rear fogs lamps. They Were on both sides of the car directly below my tail lights.

Just flick them on for a couple secs whiles maintaining my speed. The driver behind me would always see red and assumed i hit the brakes.

Obviously checked my rear view first to make sure there was no one behind them.

Can't do it on my new car as i've only the rear fog on one side now!

I absolutley hate it when im behind a line of cars on a road, no point overtaking because you are going nowhere and some mongjaws overtakes me and take up the little gap i had with the car in front.

thinly veiled "i have a new car" post :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

Being tailgated on a road with a hard shoulder isn't a problem. If the person behind me is being a PITA then I simply pull over when safe and let the muppet go. The real problem is on regional roads where there are barely two lanes.

In the last few weeks I was driving between Kilmeague and Newbridge, doing around 80 km/h and the usual muppet mobile came tearing up behind me. There is nowhere to pull in and the overtaking opportunities are rare. So, what do you do? You aren't supposed to hit the brakes. In this case I concentrated on my own driving but it isn't easy. It took several minutes and in the outskirts of Newbridge before Muppet took off with a nice classy swerve manoveur near a blind bend. Perhaps I should have taken a Scottish friend's advice and slowed gradually to a crawl without braking before the message penetrated his baseball cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I would say that driving at a speed appropriate to the conditions is more important to be honest. Plenty of roads on this island where the limit is far too high for the condition of the road. There's a lot of great information out there for people if they want to learn to be better drivers, but unfortunately most drivers here believe their education stops once they're handed the pink license.

+ a million

I pay little attention to speed limits (unless it's an area that with speed cameras). I drive at appropriate speed for the conditions on the road. Same with road signs, good drivers don't need a Yield or a Stop sign, you can tell by the intersection whether you need to yield or stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

In the last few weeks I was driving between Kilmeague and Newbridge, doing around 80 km/h and the usual muppet mobile came tearing up behind me. There is nowhere to pull in and the overtaking opportunities are rare. So, what do you do? You aren't supposed to hit the brakes. In this case I concentrated on my own driving but it isn't easy. It took several minutes and in the outskirts of Newbridge before Muppet took off with a nice classy swerve manoveur near a blind bend. .

This is the kind of tailgating I get too. It angers me so much. As it's this driving that could end up killing you, someone driving millimetres from your bumper at 80 km, a deer runs out in ront of your car, you brake suddenly and he smashes into you. The worst part is, there nothing you can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Brake really hard for no reason next time somebody is tailgating you!A nice big claim against their insurance policy will teach them when they slam into the back of you!

Yes ! And your injured back and/or neck will really show them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's a funny thing.
    People will admit they can't cook, they can't spell, can't run a mile, are crap at sports, are crap at maths, are crap at singing, can't swim, are crap at their job etc. But you won't hear anyone say, "God i'm a crap driver"....same way you won't hear anyone say "i'm terrible in the sack!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't since you think it's great craic to nearly cause a crash involving a totally innocent third party just because you don't like another driver on the road.

I'll repeat this till I'm blue in the face. I didn't 'nearly cause a crash'. The idiot tailgating me did. I avoided one. Also, the other fellow would not have had such a fright if he was not so close to the guy behind me.

Sure, the situation was a perverse effect contrary to what was originally intended; getting the bully behind me to back away so I could safely move out of the way. He gave me no chance at all to do so until his attempt to intimidate me further by violently braking in my path. I was simply onto him.

And where, o where, did I say I thought it was great craic to nearly cause a crash? Seriously, what an effing liberty! You should know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Hmm. I have my test in a few weeks. Better stop reading this post as it's not good for confidence :pac:

And where, o where, did I say I thought it was great craic to nearly cause a crash? Seriously, what an effing liberty! You should know better.

Funny story....

You were the one who called it funny, and described how you could have and should have moved out of the lane back into the driving lane but decided to stay put blocking the way because you didn't like his driving, and instead decided to further antagonise him. Then you call him the idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

bluewolf wrote: »
    You were the one who called it funny, and described how you could have and should have moved out of the lane back into the driving lane but decided to stay put blocking the way because you didn't like his driving, and instead decided to further antagonise him. Then you call him the idiot.

a: Yeah the look of panic on his face when he realised his fail was frickin' funny ha ha.

b: I could not immediatly - there and then - move out of his way without slowing down.

c: I don't do bullies and won't be intimidated by them. In or out of my car.

d: I'd do it again. Tailgaters are a$$holes.

a: Yeah the look of panic on his face when he realised his fail was frickin' funny ha ha.

b: I could not immediatly - there and then - move out of his way without slowing down.

c: I don't do bullies and won't be intimidated by them. In or out of my car.

d: I'd do it again. Tailgaters are a$$holes.

They are, as are the people in front prolonging them in their fit of rage, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Funny story.... I was on the M4 about a year ago and this knob in an E-Class Merc tore right up to me.... I was travelling and a good speed on the motorway but was about to move over when he then went right up me flashing and honking.... He had room to get around if he really wanted to. So I 'slowly' slowed down - not braked mind you - and started my windscreen spray.... He started going nuts and weaving and bobbing behind me.... I'd say he got to about an inch of my rear.... Then, he swung out and pushed hard past me. I could see what was coming next.... His manouver was to swing right in front of me and brake hard.... but quick as a flash I whipped out left but he braked too hard.... I saw the look of panic on his face as I passed him by on the left and he realised that he braked into the path of another car...... Made my day...... I felt sorry for the car he nearly wrecked though..... If I hadn't pulled out he'd have creamed us both.... Well, I reckon my XC90 would have stood a better chance.....

There is so much wrong with this but it boils down to this.

Gob****e 1 meets Gob****e 2 almost resulting in a crash.

It's a funny thing.
    People will admit they can't cook, they can't spell, can't run a mile, are crap at sports, are crap at maths, are crap at singing, can't swim, are crap at their job etc. But you won't hear anyone say, "God i'm a crap driver"....same way you won't hear anyone say "i'm terrible in the sack!"

the system needs to change if we want safer roads.
    you can pass the driving test knowing very little about how to drive a car. you never drive over 50km and until recently it was not even compulsory to get lessons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

XC90... Horrible yoke, almost as much as a Gobsh1temobile as the Q7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Fuinseog wrote: »
    you wonder about the signage as well.
    I was driving down in Kerry and there was an unbroken line on the straight section of a few roads but broken for passing out at big bends where you could not see what was coming around the bend against you.

The singage can be really bad, but this was actually on a continuous white line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trevor Kent

Tailgaters dont bother me too much actually. I only get tailgated when Im caught behind a slow car. I usually stay well back from the car in front of me and benifit from the clearer view, and when the coast is clear.....whoosh im gone.

What does bother me is:
    Lack of moterway/Dual-carriageway know-how. Take the N7 for instance. Everyone loves the middle lane, nobody drives in the left lane. It might as well be a 2 lane road. So when im driving in the left lane doing the speed limit, and catch up on someone going slower in the middle lane, technically, to avoid "undertaking" illegaly, I have to cross two lanes of traffic to overtake and cross back over 2 lanes again to the left lane. Does my nut.

Racing line Roundabout users. You know, the ones who are, lets say going straight (taking the secont exit) on a 2 lane road/roundabout, and start off in the left lane. Your going right (taking 3rd exit) so are in the right lane. You take off at the same time when the roundabout is clear but Michael Schumacher needs to take the racing line so crosses over into your lane, cutting you off and before you can shout "Nein" the bugger cuts back over to his lane, heads off straight (probably with no indicator) and about his merry way.

That brings me onto the next one, indicator-aphobics. All I want is to knowwhere your going at a particular time so I can carry on about my buisness. If its a roundabout, show me where your going so I dont have to stop unnecessarily. If your in front of me, and want to turn left, a warning of some sort would be nice.

1 speeders.......you know the car you have been following for 5 miles on a single carriageway doing 60kph, soon as you hit a town with a 50kph limit, they carry on doing 60kph. Complete lack of awareness.

And last "for now" is the manic overtaker who will risk life and limb to get that one car length closer to the top of a line of cars. Squeezing his way into a space you left between you and the car in front. Only for you to overtake him in traffic again.

Im sure ill think of more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

RustyNut wrote: »
    There is so much wrong with this but it boils down to this.

Gob****e 1 meets Gob****e 2 almost resulting in a crash.

Yeah and on a motorway so they can spread the love around and bring carnage to other more responsible and innocent drivers.

The stuff that motorway pile ups are made of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

My brother has the most incredible solution to tailgating. He slows down. Doesn't matter if he has somewhere important to be, he'll drive as slow as he can get away with, and feed on their tears of rage.

He's as much a moron as the tailgater. He'll just provoke the person behind to do something even more stupid.

Boils my piss to get tailgated when I'm stuck behind a slow driver though but in most cases, I just try and get away from them as soon I can and hope they end up overturned in a ditch sooner or later.

I said up the thread I rarely get tailgated and reading down the thread I realise why. I don't feel it is an affront and I just move over and let them by. They are probably in a hurry when I am not.

Years ago I realised that no matter how fast you drive and pass other cars, you just meet them again at the traffic lights and the most time you will save on an average journey by speeding is little more then 5 minutes.

So just relax and be late in peace.

Colmustard wrote: »
    I said up the thread I rarely get tailgated and reading down the thread I realise why. I don't feel it is an affront and I just move over and let them by. They are probably in a hurry when I am not.

Years ago I realised that no matter how fast you drive and pass other cars, you just meet them again at the traffic lights and the most time you will save on an average journey by speeding is little more then 5 minutes.

So just relax and be late in peace.

I'm talking about tailgaters when you are doing a high enough speed, let's say on a country road with lots of curves and there is nowhere to pull in. I'm not paranoid as you called me earlier, nor do I feel it's a affont to my driving skills, when someone wants to pass me out. I think tailgaters like these, will seriously injure or kill someone one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tailgaters dont bother me too much actually. I only get tailgated when Im caught behind a slow car. I usually stay well back from the car in front of me and benifit from the clearer view, and when the coast is clear.....whoosh im gone.

What does bother me is:
    Lack of moterway/Dual-carriageway know-how. Take the N7 for instance. Everyone loves the middle lane, nobody drives in the left lane. It might as well be a 2 lane road. So when im driving in the left lane doing the speed limit, and catch up on someone going slower in the middle lane, technically, to avoid "undertaking" illegaly, I have to cross two lanes of traffic to overtake and cross back over 2 lanes again to the left lane. Does my nut.

You can actually pass someone when you are in the left lane if the traffic to your right is moving slowly & causing an obstruction.I see this every time I drive to Wexford town,cars move into the outside lane & stay there @ 60kph even though the limit changes to 100kph at the start of the climbing lane.
    I end up passing on the inside & glare at the morons sauntering along in the 'overtaking lane'.

Had one moron tailgate me & eventually started blowing the horn at me the other evening despite the fact I was driving through a town with 5 cars in front of me.:mad:

• Advertisement

Lollers wrote: »
    I'm talking about tailgaters when you are doing a high enough speed, let's say on a country road with lots of curves and there is nowhere to pull in. I'm not paranoid as you called me earlier, nor do I feel it's a affont to my driving skills, when someone wants to pass me out. I think tailgaters like these, will seriously injure or kill someone one day.

I do drive on country roads and I still will slow down move closer to the curb and let them by. They may kill someone and there is nothing I can do to change their hormones, so I just try and make it as safe as possible for them to overtake me.

That is the responsible thing to do.

Colmustard wrote: »
    I do drive on country roads and I still will slow down move closer to the curb and let them by. They may kill someone and there is nothing I can do to change their hormones, so I just try and make it as safe as possible for them to overtake me.

That is the responsible thing to do.

Yes, but I said there was nowhere to pull into, unless you are counting a ditch. And not tailgating in those circumstances is the responsible thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Lollers wrote: »
    I'm tailgated at least once a day. Gotten worse since the recession, nobody let's me out of a space, and no one waves thanks when I let them out. Stories from your travels ?

I've no problems with people letting me out, but I do know what you mean about being tailgated.
    I'm on a provisional, so I'm going the speed limit, at maximum 10km/h above it very occasionally.
    The amount of road rage I appear to incurr in others is frankly disturbing. Tailgating is one thing, but people will regularly insist on overtaking me when I'm doing 80 going down fairly narrow country lanes. At one point, someone overtook and nearly ran head-on into a car that came round the bend ahead. He pulled in in of me, I ended up nearly driving into the ditch.
    After that, I got out of the car, told my husband to drive home. I refused to get behind the wheel for about a year after that.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've no problems with people letting me out, but I do know what you mean about being tailgated.
    I'm on a provisional, so I'm going the speed limit, at maximum 10km/h above it very occasionally.
    The amount of road rage I appear to incurr in others is frankly disturbing. Tailgating is one thing, but people will regularly insist on overtaking me when I'm doing 80 going down fairly narrow country lanes. At one point, someone overtook and nearly ran head-on into a car that came round the bend ahead. He pulled in in of me, I ended up nearly driving into the ditch.
    After that, I got out of the car, told my husband to drive home. I refused to get behind the wheel for about a year after that.

Good for you for getting back behind the wheel again. Try not to let bad drivers and bullying behaviour get to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

There are some morons on the road alright. It's definitely gotten worse during the recession, and worse again this Summer. (I have no facts to back that up) I hate being tailgated, particularly if I'm going 80-85kmh in an 80kmh, like how much faster do you want to go dcikhead?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

My pet peeve is 2 lanes at a red light, one for straight on or left which turns into a bus lane, one for straight on or right.

I settle behind car on right lane if they're not indicating right. When the lights go green then they decide to throw in their indicators to turn right and stops now awaiting the traffic on the right to clear. Bástard!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

My pet peeve is 2 lanes at a red light, one for straight on or left which turns into a bus lane, one for straight on or right.

I settle behind car on right lane if they're not indicating right. When the lights go green then they decide to throw in their indicators to turn right and stops now awaiting the traffic on the right to clear. Bástard!

Oh that grinds my gears down to a buffed shine. You should be legally entitled to take a sledgehammer and get mediaeval on their asses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I don't understand why some people can't grasp the simple idea of if someone wants to go faster than you, just let them by. If they're driving recklessly let them be someone else's problem. If you can't control your emotions behind the wheel, you shouldn't be driving IMO.

I think the main issue is when you are in the overtaking lane and there is nowhere to go, yet somebody is driving up your back side getting you to drive faster. They should be patient. I know I am when the car in front has nowhere to go, how can I expect him/her to match my speed?

I find it annoying for somebody to stick to the overtaking lane and refusing to budge. Driving up their arse is probably not the best idea either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

To be honest, I don't get too angry on the road anymore. Drivers, in general, are awful, so I don't expect anyone to drive at an appropriate speed, be aware of what's going on around them, indicate properly (or at all), take the correct lane etc...

In fact, my driving motto is: 'Everyone on the road is trying to kill you'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've readt through the thread a little now, and I've got one general question:

Why do people assume that tailgating only happens on 4-lane roads and motorways? Where is that idea coming from that everybody always has the option to move aside and let other people pass them by?
    I've never been tailgated on a road with a hard shoulder I can use to let people pass, nor on any motorways. I would use the right lanes on those only to overtake seriously slower traffic.

I get tailgated usually on minor roads and lanes where you sometimes are lucky to fit one car, let alone pull over to let someone pass you. Do most people here live right next to one motorway exit, and work right next to another?

Pulling over is a reasonably valid suggestion, as I have seen people in the right lane driving well below the speed limit, with no traffic whatsoever on the left. But to assume that this is the only time tailgating would occur, and to suggest people being bullied by other drives that it's their fault for obeying the speed limit seems... well. I just remembered that this is AH, so just ignore this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Don't ever hold up another driver deliberately.
    For all you know they are on call emergency services responding to a call out.

If you believe you have experienced frustration in traffic, try and imagine on call fire crew driving their own car to the station, responding to a life and death situation. I was responding one night to a call out when a genius took it upon himself to hold me up until lights changed. Bet he felt self satisfied, important and fulfilled ( BTW - I WASN'T EVEN SPEEDING). A mile away a house was blazing and someone's daughter was still in it. Every on call emergency responder could tell you stories like this.

It is the gardai who are tasked with speed enforcement not you or I.

Rant and sermon over .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I hate tailgaters.

Drives me ****ing nuts. Got into an altercation on the side of the road a few months back because of it.

I've been in two write-offs because of people not paying attention behind me. Neither my fault in any way before someone starts.

I can feel my blood pressure rise thinking about tailgaters which is weird because it takes quite a lot to get a rise out of me.

Fucking pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tailgating is a waste of time, if you want to overtake it's best to be a few car lengths back so you can see clearly what's coming and then build up a bit of speed so you complete the over take as quickly as possible. Tailgaters annoy me because I can see them weaving in and out trying to see around the car/truck in front and then when they get the chance to over take it takes them absolutely ages to get up enough speed to complete the overtake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

What does bother me is:

Racing line Roundabout users. You know, the ones who are, lets say going straight (taking the secont exit) on a 2 lane road/roundabout, and start off in the left lane. Your going right (taking 3rd exit) so are in the right lane. You take off at the same time when the roundabout is clear but Michael Schumacher needs to take the racing line so crosses over into your lane, cutting you off and before you can shout "Nein" the bugger cuts back over to his lane, heads off straight (probably with no indicator) and about his merry way.

That brings me onto the next one, indicator-aphobics. All I want is to knowwhere your going at a particular time so I can carry on about my buisness. If its a roundabout, show me where your going so I dont have to stop unnecessarily. If your in front of me, and want to turn left, a warning of some sort would be nice.

1 speeders.......you know the car you have been following for 5 miles on a single carriageway doing 60kph, soon as you hit a town with a 50kph limit, they carry on doing 60kph. Complete lack of awareness.

And last "for now" is the manic overtaker who will risk life and limb to get that one car length closer to the top of a line of cars. Squeezing his way into a space you left between you and the car in front. Only for you to overtake him in traffic again.

Get out of my head please. I have the exact same issues as these, the indicators that dont seem to work, the roundabout cutter acrossers, and especially those that have no understanding of the speed limit.

On Monday and again on Tuesday I saw a car (different ones) overtake on continuous white line and then through a filter lane turning off the road, and this was in a long line of traffic both times so the drivers of the two cars ended up 10 yards further down the road. Absolutely pointless.

The road I take home has an 80kph speed limit which drops to 50kph for half a mile, it is shocking the amount of cars that do 60kph the whole way along this road oblivious to either speed limit. Really gets on my tits.

I am even annoyed thinking about it now, get off the road or learn to drive ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Don't ever hold up another driver deliberately.
    For all you know they are on call emergency services responding to a call out.

If you believe you have experienced frustration in traffic, try and imagine on call fire crew driving their own car to the station, responding to a life and death situation. I was responding one night to a call out when a genius took it upon himself to hold me up until lights changed. Bet he felt self satisfied, important and fulfilled ( BTW - I WASN'T EVEN SPEEDING). A mile away a house was blazing and someone's daughter was still in it. Every on call emergency responder could tell you stories like this.

It is the gardai who are tasked with speed enforcement not you or I.

Rant and sermon over .......

Still get pangs of guilt over this but I learned my lesson.

Was In the 80's and I was driving a truck along SCR passing royal hospital in kilmainham heading towards Rialto. I see in the mirror a car ripping up behind me and then trying to bully his way passed me. I decide I'm not going to be bullied by this d1ck head just because I was driving slower yoke than him and who the fcuk did he think he was anyway.
    Knew it wasn't the law because they only seemed to drive Hillman avengers at the time so I kept this car behind me and slowed him down as much as possible thinking to myself I'll teach this gobsh1te a lesson and was having fun keeping this car behind me untill we got to the lights at dolphins barn which were red and so I stopped.
    Gobsh1te (or so I thought at the time) pulls out from behind me and drives up my outside and as he gets up beside me and stops to see if he can go the red light I see the cause of his hurry. The wife ( I presume ) is in the reclined passenger seat with her feet on the dash skirt pulled up and obviously in labor, I could see blood and goo. They proceeded through the red and headed towards the coomb.
    I now know who was the d1ckhead and wont be that d1ckhead again.
    If someone appears to be in a mad hurry just let them on you never know what's going on in their life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

zerks wrote: »
    You can actually pass someone when you are in the left lane if the traffic to your right is moving slowly & causing an obstruction.

That's only when in lanes of traffic, it's generally not accepted that someone going slower than you constitutes traffic. You could argue that any situation with more than one car is traffic, but the intent of the law is that it's only acceptable when coming to some obstacle ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I was driving a country road at night which was unfamiliar to me. there were plenty of curves and dangerous bends so I was taking it handy. the speed limit was 100km and I was driving at 70km and a car was tailgating me with his full lights on which dazzled me if I looked in the rear view mirror. first time I experienced that. next time I will drive slower and turn on my hazards.

The Ring of Kerry is 100kmph. For those that haven't driven it, here's an example (and certainly not the worst): http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/52/65/526502_95a9044b.jpg

It's ludicrous that there are multiple roads in this country where it is deemed acceptable to drive at these speeds. People who are not familiar with them will creep up close to those speeds ignorant that there may be a sharp bend up ahead. To compound the issues, a chunk of that road is cliff side as well as the fact that the clouds come right down onto the road in places, reducing visibility significantly.

eth0 wrote: »
    XC90... Horrible yoke, almost as much as a Gobsh1temobile as the Q7

oh no,,,i drive an S40,,,trust me,,any Volvo is a horrible looking,drive,or reliability ball off ****,,,although,,,,i do love it,,,its still better than most piece's of crap out there

I hate tailgaters.

Drives me ****ing nuts. Got into an altercation on the side of the road a few months back because of it.

I've been in two write-offs because of people not paying attention behind me. Neither my fault in any way before someone starts.

I can feel my blood pressure rise thinking about tailgaters which is weird because it takes quite a lot to get a rise out of me.

Fucking pricks.

ive driven over 2.5 million miles and have never even had a bang ona bumper in several different jobs in cars,/vans/lorrys,,maybe your just unlucky.or maybe you just cant drive??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Party Supply Van

geneyuss wrote: »
    ive driven over 2.5 million miles and have never even had a bang ona bumper in several different jobs in cars,/vans/lorrys,,maybe your just unlucky.or maybe you just cant drive??

Thats a bit of a silly statement. many people get rear ended, nothing to do with their driving skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

geneyuss wrote: »

2.5 million miles!!!! ~100'000 miles a years for 25 years!!!!!!!!!

Thats some serious driving. Was it mainly trucks, long distance stuff? I guess doing long trips it does not take long to clock the miles up. i am lucky to get 15000 miles up in a year.

On the thread topic I always find it sort of weird, road rage. I got delayed at a roundabout for about 1 minute last sunday by someone just dawdling. I was burning up inside over a minute, and nothing usually bothers me. I was only getting the paper. There is something about driving that makes a lot of normally reasonable people impatient.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

Best tactic is speed up a bit and when they are on your tail, Simply turn on your lights.
    The tailgater drives on your lights at all times. They have no time to decide if its brake lights or side lights. Your red lights come on and stay on. He brakes hard,by instinct.

the "mods " will close this,,,cause it just got interesting

Thats a bit of a silly statement. many people get rear ended, nothing to do with their driving skills.

i was referring to another poster,,, and how is it silly,,,the fact ive never had somebody crash into the back of me has nothing to do with driving skills ? idiotic statement,,
    ive had many a driver almost rear-end me and have took evasive action, learn how to drive, its not just passing a silly test ya know

• Advertisement

dirtyden wrote: »
    2.5 million miles!!!! ~100'000 miles a years for 25 years!!!!!!!!!

Thats some serious driving. Was it mainly trucks, long distance stuff? I guess doing long trips it does not take long to clock the miles up. i am lucky to get 15000 miles up in a year.

On the thread topic I always find it sort of weird, road rage. I got delayed at a roundabout for about 1 minute last sunday by someone just dawdling. I was burning up inside over a minute, and nothing usually bothers me. I was only getting the paper. There is something about driving that makes a lot of normally reasonable people impatient.
    who said 25 years???? it could have been 55??? another typical boards narcissist,,, i do not suffer from road rage, nor do i need someone one this poxy site telling me how to drive,,,,read the bloody thread and stop putting words in my mouth

Advertisement