Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tailgating and Road Rage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

karma_ wrote: »
    If you're being tail-gated folks, the chances are you are going too slowly. A now non-taught (unfortunately) and mostly forgotten rule of the road is make progress. Please bear this in mind.

It still does not make tailgating and flashing lights the correct thing to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

It still does not make tailgating and flashing lights the correct thing to do.

And if people made progress, they wouldn't be tail-gated.

And if people made progress, they wouldn't be tail-gated.

But driving under the speed limit is not illegal, whereas exceeding it and tailgating are

But driving under the speed limit is not illegal, whereas exceeding it and tailgating are

No, it's not illegal, but it can cause other problems on the road.

No, it's not illegal, but it can cause other problems on the road.

well try using that as an excuse when your caught for dangerous driving by the Gardai

well try using that as an excuse when your caught for dangerous driving by the Gardai

I never tailgate, I will flash lights occasionally on the motorway if some one is hogging the fast lane. Fortunately I possess one of the other long lost skills of the road, the ability to overtake.

I never tailgate, I will flash lights occasionally on the motorway if some one is hogging the fast lane. Fortunately I possess one of the other long lost skills of the road, the ability to overtake.

I would think that would still be classed as dangerous driving because flashing the lights at the guy in front of you, just because he is not travelling fast enough for you, is aggressive driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I am a pretty good driver generally. But I think I do tend to get angry at people who I perceive to have done wrong.

At one point some random set of random circumstances resulted in a toy gun appearing in my car.

So, as it was there I said I might as well use it.

Instead of getting angry at other drivers I'd pull the trigger on the toy gun and calmly imagine their faces imploding.

It took a few hours before I realised that pulling the trigger of a gun every time somebody annoyed me on the road was probably not a viable or sane long term solution.

You dont drive a taxi do you?

I got into a taxi in Swords one day, and the taxi driver turned around to me with what looked like a Walther PPK in his hand and said "Does this look real to you?". My chin was on the floor and I gurgled a "what" at him. He said again "Does this look real to you?". He ejected the magazine, pulled back the top slide, no round was ejected and he put the magazine back in. "What" I managed again. He then went on to say "Its good isnt it? Very realistic. Some kid left it in the car, and I was wondering if it looks authentic. I thought I could use it on drunks or what not."

I bet that was you.

I would think that would still be classed as dangerous driving because flashing the lights at the guy in front of you, just because he is not travelling fast enough for you, is aggressive driving.

I honestly cannot say what the police would make of that one, I'd imagine though they would rather someone not sit indefinitely in the fast lane holding traffic up. That lane is only for overtaking, and should not be used at any other time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Hogging the overtaking lane is p1ss poor inconsiderate driving. Tailgating is dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

TonyStark wrote: »
    People with cars they are uncomfortable to drive at the speed limit on the motorway should really not be using the motorway. There are plenty roads around the country where there are speed limits are low enough to facilitate their skill level in terms of driving.

Ironically, In general I find those in such cars tend tailgate slower moving traffic like buses and lorries themselves and show in my personal experience poor overtaking skills. This is part of where the frustration arises IMHO.

I can see the puzzlement on their faces when they go to perform an overtaking manouvre and enter the overtaking lane and then they realise that there is car suddenly right up their arse, flashing lights etc. 9/10 they probably have checked their mirror, but have failed to exercise any judgement in relation to the speed of traffic in that overtaking lane already and have simply arrived into a faster lane. They then gradually accelerate towards the speed limit in the hope that this will carry them clear of whatever they are overtaking and dismiss the car behind as a lunatic of some sort.

It's not very considerate on their part to those who are already engaged in an overtaking manouvre already to impede them from it. It borders in my mind of driving without due care and consideration. From my understanding of the rules of the road, faster moving overtaking from traffic behind you always has right of way.

In general I find the safest way to overtake a vehicle is to accelerate faster than it and clear it as quickly and safely as possible returning to the driving lane as soon as the opportunity arises. I do this to keep myself safe and those travelling in the overtaking lane behind me safe. At all times throughout the manouvre i feel competant and safe driving at 120kmph and when necessary faster than the speed limit in order to carry myself clear from any potentially fatal threats.

Your the Tony Stark from the comics, not the movie right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

If you're being tail-gated folks, the chances are you are going too slowly. A now non-taught (unfortunately) and mostly forgotten rule of the road is make progress. Please bear this in mind.

Nope. It merely indicates that the driver behind you is deliberately not maintaining a proper stopping distance, and is therefore driving dangerously. This is then exacerbated by aggressive gestures such as flashing lights or beeping the horn.

I honestly cannot say what the police would make of that one, I'd imagine though they would rather someone not sit indefinitely in the fast lane holding traffic up. That lane is only for overtaking, and should not be used at any other time.

But that is for the Gardai to decide. Not you.

There is also a section concerning overtaking in the L/H lane of a motorway in the rules of the road. As I stated earlier, everyone here should brush up on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

gubbie wrote: »
    I'd disagree to this part.

If I had sped up, the car behind me would have sped up too and sat on my bumper again. All speeding up does is make it worse should I have to brake suddenly.

Why should I have to facilitate him? Why can't he facilitate me by allowing me this extra 20 seconds it would take to complete the maneuver before speeding off.

It's not so much that you should facilitate them, but rather that if you easily can, why not. It'll make life easier for you too. And it doesn't just apply to those being tailgated but anyone overtaking while there is another car behind.

And again, if briefly speeding up is something that a driver is genuinely not comfortable with, rather than just being stubborn, so be it carry on as you were.

And I don't mean to try to pass this all off as the correct procedure but merely advice based my opinion.

In most cases there are two causes of tailgating. Alway present is the obvious aggression and lack of patience by the driver behind. But I think ultimately, that in most cases, or a least many, there is a supplementary cause, and that is lack of awareness and/or stubbornness on the part of the driver in front. But this in no way excuses the tailgater's actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gibson-les-rick

Overtake a suped up piece of shyte Civic on the motorway then you will see road rage..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

It's not so much that you should facilitate them, but rather that if you easily can, why not. It'll make life easier for you too. And it doesn't just apply to those being tailgated but anyone overtaking while there is another car behind.

"Facilitating" the driver means finishing the overtake prematurely and pulling in behind slower moving traffic you were originally trying to overtake. Often you'll end up pulling in too early, will compromise the braking distance of the car behind you in the travelling lane, can easily get stuck there until all traffic in the overtaking has passed, etc.

Only a complete mug would pull in early to allow some gob$hite (usually driving a bog standard Audi or BMW) impatiently following behind to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Motorist wrote: »
    "Facilitating" the driver means finishing the overtake prematurely and pulling in behind slower moving traffic you were originally trying to overtake. Often you'll end up pulling in too early, will compromise the braking distance of the car behind you in the travelling lane, can easily get stuck there until all traffic in the overtaking has passed, etc.

Only a complete mug would pull in early to allow some gob$hite (usually driving a bog standard Audi or BMW) impatiently following behind to pass.

It doesn't mean finishing the overtake prematurely at all, it means you'll be quicker to pull a safe distance ahead of the car you're overtaking and therefore safely finish the overtake quicker.

And like I said before, it's not really about facilitating them and don't do it if it's not suitable or you're not capable.

That's absolute bollocks.
    There's also a chance that the fella behind you in his beemer or Audi, is a total wanker with 6 points who shouldn't be on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

going too slow? not true. you could be driving above the speed limit and still be tailgated. you are possibly driving "too slow" in the eyes of the person behind you, who obviously does not care about speed limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

going too slow? not true. you could be driving above the speed limit and still be tailgated. you are possibly driving "too slow" in the eyes of the person behind you, who obviously does not care about speed limits.

The words "possibly" and "obviously" in the same sentence there. Bit too much generalising hypothetical situations tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The words "possibly" and "obviously" in the same sentence there. Bit too much generalising hypothetical situations tbh

I think they're just following on from karma's "chances are".

TheChizler wrote: »
    I think they're just following on from karma's "chances are".

I think it would be better for all involved, who find themselves being occasionally tail-gated to acknowledge the fact that they are more than likely just shít drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 meandmypalimmy

dont be in the fast lane if the lane beside you is moving quicker than you are. thats my advice

I think it would be better for all involved, who find themselves being occasionally tail-gated to acknowledge the fact that they are more than likely just shít drivers.

The same goes for people who are cut off at roundabouts, crashed into while queueing for the lights, crashed into while passing a junction and the other driver fails to stop, and generally has the misfortune to have something happen to them that isn't their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I think it would be better for all involved, who find themselves occasionally tail-gating to acknowledge the fact that they are more than likely just shít drivers.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

karma_ I certainly learned about making progress when I took driving lessons. You can't assume people who are tailgated are driving slowly, that's not always the case & doesn't seem to be in many cases on this thread. If someone tailgates you, it doesn't make you a bad driver, it makes them a dangerous driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

dont be in the fast lane if the lane beside you is moving quicker than you are. thats my advice

While i agree with your sentiment your reasoning is all wrong. I suggest you familiarise yourself with the rules of the road re the OVERTAKING lane.

One of the problems in this country is everybody isnt on the same page with regards the rules of the road & then get notions as to whats right & wrong. Especially when it comes to lanes on dual carriage ways/motorways & roundabouts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

But you cant allow for under calibration. If you assume your speedometer is under calibrated and decide that the real 120 KPH is really 130 KPH indication you are knowingly breaking the speed limit.

When the sign says 120 or 100 or whatever, that is the indicated speed you should not exceed.

The speed limit is the true speed. The offence is driving at a speed in excess is the limit. Your speed is measured by speed cameras or other devices and not by looking at your dashboard. It is perfectly reasonable and legal to allow for under calibration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

When driving, I love to let people out (where feasible). Often I get thanks, but that's not why I do it. I get treated well enough by others, most of the time. Whenever tailgated out on the road, I move in & let them pass. Whenever beeped in town, I go slow. I love to see the froth.

The speed limit is the true speed. The offence is driving at a speed in excess is the limit. Your speed is measured by speed cameras or other devices and not by looking at your dashboard. It is perfectly reasonable and legal to allow for under calibration.

Just make sure you compare to a satnav first, don't overestimate the overestimate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I would assume that you do so at your own risk.
    At the end of the day, the only indication most people have as to how fast they are going is the speedometer. To demand that everyone in the country regularly checks the difference between speedometer and speed on a GPS they may or may not have, and then performs some mental arithmetic whenever the speed limit changes to make sure they are actually travelling at the exact maximum speed allowed is not only impractical and unreasonable, but also rather dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

RVP 11 wrote: »
    That's true.
    Everytime i see an STi or a Skyline, they are being tailgated by a micra, fiesta, civic etc.

So true. I drive a MK5 5dr GTI, pretty standard car.

If you drive a well looked-after clean performance car 9 people out of 10 let you out at junctions first time. My first car back in '07 was a '98 corsa and you'd be left sitting until there was a gap in traffic.

The amount of eejits you get up your hole giving the indicator flashes is ridiculous. Normally it's a pretty rough VAG of some description, usually loud, an oil-burner, big sunstrip etc. At first it was a bit of a laugh leaving them for dust but they catch up eventually once I readjust to normal driving speed and they inevitably start the same shyte again (On my network of private roadways not governed by Irish traffic laws :)).

Now I just indicate for them to overtake - I prefer not to have heroes in clapped out cars which have been driven to within an inch of their lives sitting on my bumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Drove home for lunch this afternoon and had this absolute bell end up my hole for the entire 15 min journey. He was in what appeared to be a 'Scanomat' van I think. Some coffee making company. I'm on the road a lot with work and have been witness to a lot, so my patience is rarely tested, but jesus this lad took the piss. The company's fleet must be shagged if his driving skills are anything to go by. Slow progression of traffic, yet to drive 15 yards he'd rev the **** out of the oil burner, coming within inches of me.

Would have liked to have gotten his reg but didn't get the opportunity to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I once asked a superb driver how he drove so well. His answer:

a) I drive my own car, not any other driver's

b) Other people's driving isn't my business

c) I treat other drivers the same way I treat any other factor on the road, taking into account their likely actions, but not getting emotional about them

d) I always drive 'defensively' - that is, I anticipate conditions and remain calm and focused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I once asked a superb driver how he drove so well. His answer:

a) I drive my own car, not any other driver's

b) Other people's driving isn't my business

c) I treat other drivers the same way I treat any other factor on the road, taking into account their likely actions, but not getting emotional about them

d) I always drive 'defensively' - that is, I anticipate conditions and remain calm and focused.

I'm not sure about B (other peoples driving IS my busniess if I have to take evasive action to avoid a crash) but I definitely subscribe to the second two points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I curse lots at bad drivers, but it's in the confines of my own car, so they can't hear me :P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We don't have fast lanes, we have overtaking lanes. What lane are you driving in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Cabaal wrote: »
    We don't have fast lanes, we have overtaking lanes. What lane are you driving in?

The one where you drive faster and constantly over take until a faster car is up your arse? :confused:

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I'm not sure about B (other peoples driving IS my busniess if I have to take evasive action to avoid a crash) but I definitely subscribe to the second two points

I think he meant that he concentrated on his own driving, not others' driving, and didn't involve himself in how others drove, other than to regard them as factors on the road which he had to take into account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Had a lovely one today where a girl came down the slip road of the south ring road in Cork and drifted across two lanes without ever looking across or in a mirror. I was in the middle lane and she came literally inches from drifting into the side of me at 100kmph, forcing me to swerve dangerously into the right hand lane and almost lose control of the car as it wobbled before managing to straighten it up. Car behind us had to jam on the brakes. She hammered on ahead, speeding, unperturbed as I beeped and roared at her. Was the first case of road rage I've had. Would have certainly gotten out of the car if there had been a set of lights ahead.

It seems more and more crazy that someone can be fully licensed to drive without any experience of ever driving on a motorway.

GerM wrote: »
    Had a lovely one today where a girl came down the slip road of the south ring road in Cork and drifted across two lanes without ever looking across or in a mirror. I was in the middle lane and she came literally inches from drifting into the side of me at 100kmph, forcing me to swerve dangerously into the right hand lane and almost lose control of the car as it wobbled before managing to straighten it up. Car behind us had to jam on the brakes. She hammered on ahead, speeding, unperturbed as I beeped and roared at her. Was the first case of road rage I've had. Would have certainly gotten out of the car if there had been a set of lights ahead.

It seems more and more crazy that someone can be fully licensed to drive without any experience of ever driving on a motorway.

I used to think this kind of thing was inexperience or craziness; now I tend to blame the amount of pressure people are under. She was probably thinking frantically about her mortgage or the ESB bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

GerM wrote: »

I actually saw someone on boards arguing recently that people shouldn't be allowed drive on any public roads at all until they get their licence. :rolleyes: I'll try and find the link if you want.

After thinking about the motorway rule, I think the reason for it isn't so much that they are afraid learner drivers are going to make mincemeat of the other road users as much as for the minor incidents and mistakes that some people are undoubtedly going to make.

Now if you have a minor incident on an industrial estate, it may be a devastating experience etc. and should be avoided at (almost) all costs, but at least afterwards you'll be able to park your car in an appropriate place, get out and assess the damage etc. If you have a minor incident anywhere near a motorway however, then depending on the area and time, the **** could really start to fly with hundreds of people being affected, and people may tend to lose the head, and this is why sometimes there actually ends up with there being ANOTHER accident after the first one.

Was in the car with my boyfriend driving earlier, some guy tailgating us, hit a big queue of traffic and my boyfriend stopped to let someone pull out. Person who'd been tailgating started beeping us for letting someone out. We weren't going to be moving any faster if we hadn't let them out with the traffic.

Also had someone come flying out of a parking lot the other day in front of us, easily could have caused a crash. They were turning left & a van was turning right so they couldn't see & decided it'd be a great idea to come flying out onto a main road.

I've actually seen loads of incidences of bad driving in the past few days. It's actually worrying how careless some people are on the roads.

Now if you have a minor incident on an industrial estate, it may be a devastating experience etc. and should be avoided at (almost) all costs, but at least afterwards you'll be able to park your car in an appropriate place, get out and assess the damage etc. If you have a minor incident anywhere near a motorway however, then depending on the area and time, the **** could really start to fly with hundreds of people being affected, and people may tend to lose the head, and this is why sometimes there actually ends up with there being ANOTHER accident after the first one.

This reminds me of an accident I heard about on the Dual Carriage way between Limerick and Shannon years ago.

On a very frosty morning there was a bit of a pile up on the Shannon bound side.

The guys on the Limerick bound side got so nosey looking across at the accident, they caused another pile up on their side.

Anyway thinking of that has brought me to wonder, how many people know the speed limit between Junction 30 on the M7 (Cork turn-off in Limerick) and Junction 10 on the N18/M18( Shannon turn-off). Its the section of dual carriageway between 2 motorway segments

In case you are wondering, it is 100 KPH

I was driving it tonight and got passed by a few drivers who were easily breaking the speed limit for a motorway, never mind the road we were on and many more who obviously thought they were on the motorway. several even flashed and tail-gated me while I overtaking slower cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭grange mac

drivin yest a ****x in his x5 pulled out in front of me, i had to swerv to avoid goin into back of him....he then flashes and beeps and passes me in a rage...then brakes forces me to stop behind him....says did i realise speed woz doin i replied i did...woz bout 50 in a 40mph...i said he needed to go pull out rules of road about pulling out when there is a car coming from behind...also mentioned specsavers..lost the rag...said i will b reportrd for speeding...i said ill report him for dangerous driving, threatn me and gettin out of his x5 to do same....he said once he indicated out he fully entitled to pull out...i akways thought can onky proceed when safe to do so ....with me coming he knew it woznt but he just didnt like being passed....dont like people who think they own the road....this was aplace where trucks stop on a country road not a motor way....anythoughts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I actually saw someone on boards arguing recently that people shouldn't be allowed drive on any public roads at all until they get their licence. :rolleyes: I'll try and find the link if you want.

People shouldn't be allowed to drive alone on public roads until they get their license. That's the way it is in most countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

grange mac wrote: »
    drivin yest a ****x in his x5 pulled out in front of me, i had to swerv to avoid goin into back of him....he then flashes and beeps and passes me in a rage...then brakes forces me to stop behind him....says did i realise speed woz doin i replied i did...woz bout 50 in a 40mph...i said he needed to go pull out rules of road about pulling out when there is a car coming from behind...also mentioned specsavers..lost the rag...said i will b reportrd for speeding...i said ill report him for dangerous driving, threatn me and gettin out of his x5 to do same....he said once he indicated out he fully entitled to pull out...i akways thought can onky proceed when safe to do so ....with me coming he knew it woznt but he just didnt like being passed....dont like people who think they own the road....this was aplace where trucks stop on a country road not a motor way....anythoughts...

Yes. please stop using text speak.

After thinking about the motorway rule, I think the reason for it isn't so much that they are afraid learner drivers are going to make mincemeat of the other road users as much as for the minor incidents and mistakes that some people are undoubtedly going to make.

I do think they could change that rule, though.
    Not to allow all learner drivers onto it, definitely not. But to allow learner drivers in driving school cars and with instructors by their side?
    After all, that's the way it's being taught in other countries and it does seem to work ok for them?

People shouldn't be allowed to drive alone on public roads until they get their license. That's the way it is in most countries

Which countries do not allow learners on the roads at all? That's the first time I've ever heard of this.

Most countries will insist though that as a learner, you're in a driving school car with an instructor. You're not allowed to drive with anyone else, or by yourself, if that's what you mean.

Doesn't seem to be that way in most countries from what I'm reading, care to share some examples? I'm curious how learners actually learn without being allowed on the road.

• Advertisement
Advertisement