Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for building an extension in Cork

Options
  • 21-08-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I am looking to build a double storey extension at the side of my house.

I’ll starting from scratch and would like to hear recommendations from people to do the work. I would need an architect/engineer, builder etc.

Any advise welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Have a look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=876

I have only a little advice, but it might help a bit:

- Get 3 quotes from builders

- Get a consulting engineer to oversee the work and (if you can afford it) to PM the job. I wouldn't leave it to an architect, unless they can do the PM properly. (IMO Architects design, they don't build; and are less able to deal with a builder on technical issues.)

- Be utterly ruthless with anyone you pay money to. You can be nice as well, but be ruthless first.

- Be absolutely clear in what you require e.g. no money paid until xyz finished completely and all rubbish removed.

- Take pictures of everything

- Document as much as you can.

- Shop around for everything

- Get a solicitor to ok your Building Agreement - it's a legally binding contract

- Fight for every % of retention money

- Agree how the snag list works - you have to physically sign it off.

- Who pays for surprises? E.g. "You need extra ABC." If the job is specced properly, there should be no surprises.

- Avail of all the SEAI grants you can - solar panels for hot water are worth considering.

Am I allowed to list a company for recommendation? (I have no connection to them.)

Update Heating & Plumbing - 021 436 6408 - only company we used that we'd recommend - we found them to be excellent.

Sorry if I sound cynical and bitter - I am.

Remember, this is going to cost you (guessing) €100K+ depending on size and features etc - don't spend it easily and look for top quality work and very best prices.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Great post blindsider:)

You could recommend a company by PM if you want to do it that way - I would appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

blindsider wrote: »
    Have a look here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=876

I have only a little advice, but it might help a bit:

- Get 3 quotes from builders

- Get a consulting engineer to oversee the work and (if you can afford it) to PM the job. I wouldn't leave it to an architect, unless they can do the PM properly. (IMO Architects design, they don't build; and are less able to deal with a builder on technical issues.)

- Be utterly ruthless with anyone you pay money to. You can be nice as well, but be ruthless first.

- Be absolutely clear in what you require e.g. no money paid until xyz finished completely and all rubbish removed.

- Take pictures of everything

- Document as much as you can.

- Shop around for everything

- Get a solicitor to ok your Building Agreement - it's a legally binding contract

- Fight for every % of retention money

- Agree how the snag list works - you have to physically sign it off.

- Who pays for surprises? E.g. "You need extra ABC." If the job is specced properly, there should be no surprises.

- Avail of all the SEAI grants you can - solar panels for hot water are worth considering.

Am I allowed to list a company for recommendation? (I have no connection to them.)

Update Heating & Plumbing - 021 436 6408 - only company we used that we'd recommend - we found them to be excellent.

Sorry if I sound cynical and bitter - I am.

Remember, this is going to cost you (guessing) €100K+ depending on size and features etc - don't spend it easily and look for top quality work and very best prices.

Best of luck with it.

:eek:.Are you trying to revive the Celtic Tiger or what.100K for an extension,ha.

Did you have anything useful to add, or did you just want to criticise my post?

If the OP can do his/her ext for €50K, then good for him/her.

I believe I qualified the statement sufficiently, with 'guessing' and 'depending on...'

"Remember, this is going to cost you (guessing) €100K+ depending on size and features etc"

Thanks for your otherwise helpful post - it's added a lot to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

I happenend to stumble across this thread and realise it is rather old. But for anyone who is looking at this please ignore the above posts by Blindsider. Not once is planning permission mentioned, or the requirements regarding commencement notices which would land any home owner in similiar situations in very hot water.

Talk to a registered professional, whether architect or structural engineer.

• Advertisement

Thanks for resurrecting a zombie!

As you have, I'll take the opportunity to reply....

I naively assumed that people would know about Planning permission - or that they would find out about it pretty quickly once they spoke to anyone re building an extension - oh well......

As for ignoring my posts...really? Is the rest of the info not useful?? Really?

I guess this'll be locked up pretty quickly.....probably for the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement