Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what differences when you downgrade broadband speed?

• 21-08-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

At the moment i have 50mb broadband with upc but i am going to move to eircoms 8mb un-congested due to upc bringing in stupid charges. Before i do i am just wondering the differences i will experience eg download speed etc. I think 8mb will still be fast enough to browse and stream but the downloading will take longer. Would i be correct? thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's up to 8mb which means you have no idea what it is till you get it. If you're paying €47 or so now and want a cheaper option then I'd imagine you'll be going for the €40 for 6 months then €45 which has a tiny 10gb cap.

Factor in the line rental in advance, the connection fee (?) and excess usage charges, if you want to save money, why not change to 25mb?

One massive difference I noticed is upload speeds, for putting stuff on Facebook and imageshack, my eircom was very slow for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fintan123

At the moment i have the 70euro package with upc (including channels)

With the eircom deal they will give free line rental, no installation fee, unlimited download, free setanta sports,free music and study hub and the salesman told me they are upgrading the lines in carlow to fiber obtic when its done it can go up to 25mb, all for 30 euro a month.

Whoa there!

Free line rental?

Tell me more...

Are you on a disability or over 70 or something? Otherwise yer man is pulling your leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They're lying through their teeth.

Unlimited data* = 30GB or 10GB.

8Mb = 1-4Mb. You will go from ~6Mb up to ~0.3 Mb Up. Thats like getting out of supersonic jet and into a tractor.

And even if they upgrade to 24Mb and you were magically to get use of that speed on the terrible copper thats no doubt between you and the exchange then you'll keep your 30GB limit and be hit with usage fees every month.

Any you wont have TV.

This is a BAD move OP. Drop down to 25(really 32Mb).

nope not disabled students :)

yea thats what the guy said, then again he could just be trying to sell it but if there was a line fee in the 1st bill you can just leave...

yea that does make sense to drop back to 25mb but upc are apparently raising there broadband prices by 11% and tv by 10% and introducing stupid fees eg: 3.18euro for the live pause rewind features for the tv, 4euro for receiving a bill in the post!!

this information was given to me by the eircom sales man so i cant confirm its accuracy.

• Advertisement

fintan123 wrote: »
    nope not disabled students :)
    upc are apparently raising there broadband prices by 11% and tv by 10% and introducing stupid fees eg: 3.18euro for the live pause rewind features for the tv, 4euro for receiving a bill in the post!!

this information was given to me by the eircom sales man so i cant confirm its accuracy.

All untrue as far as I know. Never buy anything off someone who goes door to door. There's no recording of conversations like you have on the phone, they will tell you anything to make a sale.

Upc increased their prices of some individual products this month but prices of bundle packages weren't changed at all.

cheers i think its worth a phone call so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Get all these utterly wild "claims" in writing on eircom headed paper, including when exactly they will be upgrading Carlow to fibre and the exact pricing including the price of the fibre optic claims.

Don't go near it until you do get the letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

IM reading this thread and asking why why why?????
    Eircom are like the dinosaurs and the dodo...
    UPC are the ONLY broadband provider in this country...all the others are glorified Midland providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

UPC are the ONLY broadband provider in this country...all the others are glorified Midland providers.

Hey hey hey you of all people wouldn't want the midlands being compared to Eircom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

bogband providers?

Lik omg lolz
    I have 65mb broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

So, if you break both your legs after joining eircom, don't come running to us. :)

Bah meant to be midband lol
    Stay with UPC...you'll be sorry if you go back to adsl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Not in everyone's experience. I had Smart Telecom broadband (24Mbps, zero contention) a few years back, and even after several 'upgrades', my UPC broadband (currently 120Mbps) rarely matches it for ACTUAL download speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

who_me wrote: »
    Not in everyone's experience. I had Smart Telecom broadband (24Mbps, zero contention) a few years back, and even after several 'upgrades', my UPC broadband (currently 120Mbps) rarely matches it for ACTUAL download speeds.

I've had UPC internet for nearly six years in Templeouge, Cabinteely, Killiney, Renelagh, Cellbridge and Tallaght. And I have never come to the point where I could say I didn't get my advertised speed, outside of some intercontinental packet shaping. ADSL cannot compete with cable anymore. Eircom will never be able to compete with UPC for broadband in terms of price or speed for the rest of its relatively short life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

+1 there. We've always got what we've paid for at home, at the mothers house and in work. Mates also get the full 145 down.

Who_me: Are you talking about tests or real downloads? You may have 120 down but few hosts will give a single user 120 up, so you'll rarely/never see it used in practical terms without simultaneous transfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

At the moment i have 50mb broadband with upc but i am going to move to eircoms 8mb un-congested due to upc bringing in stupid charges. Before i do i am just wondering the differences i will experience eg download speed etc. I think 8mb will still be fast enough to browse and stream but the downloading will take longer. Would i be correct? thanks :)

I live in a rural area and pay a standard 32 euro a month for 7 meg download and 312kb upload. There is VAT added to this. So about 38 to 40 a month i pay for my internet. This is expensive and speeds are crap.

I also pay line rental. I stick with UPC even with the price rise their internet is way better quality.

Advertisement