Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships This Weekend Advice

Options
  • 21-08-2012 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

Planning on going with two children (8 years) sometime this weekend. I'm really looking for suggestions on where to start / end, best day to go and any other advice or suggestions. I've had a look on their site but I can't make head nor tail of it. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No info about getting on boats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Here is the info regarding getting on the boats,

http://www.dublintallships.ie/fleet/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Went yesterday and it was great. RTE had a great stand - buy the RTE guide for one euro and you can get a free photo of you on the "cover" of the guide. Also Nuala Carey was on hand and kids were able to read the weather, free frisbees, hats and pins were all given free. Queues for the ships but they went very quickly - however once the rain came down heavily no access was allowed as it was too dangerous (slippery) - I think the South Quays had the best access to the ships.

Hope this helps somebody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That's useful cheers what were the crowds like?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was down there Thurs and Fri.

Southside has the best ships, but Northside has the best food joints and the best atmosphere with the carnival and street performers, plus to get decent photos of the ships on the southside, you need to be on the northside.

Hope to get in again today, and will venture down the southside again and over to grand canal dock.

Well worth a visit, great to see in the city and the atmosphere (when its not raining) is excellent.

7845457736_ac5f6f1a82_z.jpg
    Street Performer At Tall Ships 2012 by kceire, on Flickr

7845427010_e154ef7b38_z.jpg
    Tall Ships Dublin 2012 by kceire, on Flickr

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

We're bringing our little lad down tomorrow..

What's parking like in town? Are the shopping centers still business as usual? I was planning on parking in the Jervis Center..

Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

xzanti wrote: »
    We're bringing our little lad down tomorrow..

What's parking like in town? Are the shopping centers still business as usual? I was planning on parking in the Jervis Center..

Cheers

yep, business as usual. There is no traffic disruption until you hit the quays at Liberty Hall from my experience.

Park in Jervis and walk/luas down.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

BostonB wrote: »
    That's useful cheers what were the crowds like?

Not too bad to be honest but we only stayed until about half five - and there seemed to be more people coming in probably to listen to the bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

any ideas what time the ships start departing at this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

JosDel wrote: »
    any ideas what time the ships start departing at this evening?

meant to be between 12 and 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A lot of people were caught out I reckon because a whole rake of them (basically everything upstream from Samuel Beckett Bridge) headed off at around 7am. Was happy, cos I was in town having a look around. Place was deserted!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

A lot of people were caught out I reckon because a whole rake of them (basically everything upstream from Samuel Beckett Bridge) headed off at around 7am. Was happy, cos I was in town having a look around. Place was deserted!

we got in there for 12 today and the only one left was the Amerigo Vespucci which is leaving tomorrow. Disappointing, assumed that if the festival was still running today there would still be tall ships (though it did say in the schedule they would start departing @ 11 today).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

There's some nice views from the Siptu webcam, although pretty much all of the ships seem to have gone now.

http://www.siptu.ie/media/webcam/

(Double click the webcam to make it full screen)

Does anyone know what time the Amerigo Vespucci is set to depart? I can't seem to find out that info anywhere and I'd love to see it leave if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Check out the tide times and you shud get a fairly good idea, she will go out with the tide I'd imagine!

I just had a quick look there and high tide is 8.45 and low tide is 14.30 so at a guess she'll go sometime between 10 and 12! That is a wild guess though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stringman

Down to leave at 9pm on dublin port company website. keep an eye on there next 100 departures page through the day, as time could suddenly change.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

Does anyone know what time the Amerigo Vespucci is set to depart? I can't seem to find out that info anywhere and I'd love to see it leave if I can.
    It's now showing an 8PM departure time.
    http://www.dublinport.ie/information-centre/next-100-departures/

Advertisement