Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Cleaner Issue

Options
  • 21-08-2012 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I'm having a bit of an issue with the dry cleaners. I dropped in a suit on Monday approx 2:30 to be dry cleaned. They said it would be back by 6pm on Tuesday. I went down at close to 9pm Tuesday to collect it and its not there. The staff said she would ring "the man" in the morning to find out when it will be back.

Now I have an interview tomorrow (Wednesday) and that was my only suit, I've told the staff in the dry cleaners that I need it by mid-day at the very latest but they won't know more until the morning. The docket states "ready for collection 6pm Tuesday".

I am now in the position that in all likelihood they won't have the suit back and that I'll have to go into town early and buy something in M&S for the day. I don't intend on paying the dry cleaning charge for the suit but do I have any grounds to reclaim some of the cost of purchasing a new suit?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Gileadi wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of an issue with the dry cleaners. I dropped in a suit on Monday approx 2:30 to be dry cleaned. They said it would be back by 6pm on Tuesday. I went down at close to 9pm Tuesday to collect it and its not there. The staff said she would ring "the man" in the morning to find out when it will be back.

Now I have an interview tomorrow (Wednesday) and that was my only suit, I've told the staff in the dry cleaners that I need it by mid-day at the very latest but they won't know more until the morning. The docket states "ready for collection 6pm Tuesday".

I am now in the position that in all likelihood they won't have the suit back and that I'll have to go into town early and buy something in M&S for the day. I don't intend on paying the dry cleaning charge for the suit but do I have any grounds to reclaim some of the cost of purchasing a new suit?

Thanks in advance.
    Not too sure. I've gotten stuff done for free when delayed before but always saw it as a goodwill gesture on the cleaners part rather than something they were obliged to do under consumer law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I believe that liability extends only to the product or service contracted and you have no grounds whatsoever for compensation for buying another suit.

You may have grounds for reasonable compensation (e.g. reduction in fee) for being late with the suit. If they damaged the suit you'd be entitled to reasonable compensation for the damage.

In the meantime can you borrow a suit from a friend, or rent one?

Advertisement