Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Brom Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Chill dudes, two games in...

Vdv rarely played more than 60mins under HR, he doesn't have it in the tank..

Ade is not fit due to lack of preseason and hasn't had time to adjust to AVBs style of play..

The introduction of Lukaku was a game changer and Defoe is not good enough, so greedy, never looks for a pass, not a team player, terrible counter attacker from a team perspective...

Need to get the Luka situation resolved quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

mickman wrote: »
    So avb is getting bale to play the exact same way that harry did. Bring him into the middle if things arent going well

Why wasnt ade started? He knows the players from last year so should have been first choice

What happened to your "Defoe starts, Defoe scores" mantra?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

So avb is getting bale to play the exact same way that harry did. Bring him into the middle if things arent going well

Why wasnt ade started? He knows the players from last year so should have been first choice

rumours he isnt match fit. no game time in pre season.i believe

personally i think the following were great today
    vdv, friedal, bale and vertonghen. all played really well. defoe for me was poor and i have said it before if he doesnt score he offers nothing to the team.

and for those saying its only our second game.
    chelsea are now 6 points ahead of us. i think we will all agree utd and city should finish ahead of us so that leaves us chelsea liverpool ARSEnal and maybe newcastle pushing for 3rd and 4th. and prob throw everton into that too actually

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Mr. Guappa wrote: »

What happened to your "Defoe starts, Defoe scores" mantra?

You have me mixed up man :-)

I never say that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

You have me mixed up man :-)

I never say that

My apologies.. I've mixed you up with BERBA :eek:

I've just looked at our record for August over the last five seasons:

2011 - Played 2 Points 0
    2010 - Played 3 Points 4
    2009 - Played 4 Points 12
    2008 - Played 3 Points 1
    2007 - Played 4 Points 3

Taking away the perfect start in '09 that is a pretty consistent pattern, and I'd wager has a lot to do with Levy waiting until late in the window to do business.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    My apologies.. I've mixed you up with BERBA :eek:

I've just looked at our record for August over the last five seasons:

2011 - Played 2 Points 0
    2010 - Played 3 Points 4
    2009 - Played 4 Points 12
    2008 - Played 3 Points 1
    2007 - Played 4 Points 3

Taking away the perfect start in '09 that is a pretty consistent pattern, and I'd wager has a lot to do with Levy waiting until late in the window to do business.

time that changes me thinks. we cant give away easy points at the start of every season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Kiith wrote: »
    Saab Ed wrote: »
    No more than they deserve. AVB has failed to communicate any instruction to the players since the game started. The team was set up properly from the start but the players would have set themselves up better after that. Ade doesn't know if he's a direct replacement for vdv or if he's up top, jenas isn't sure either to move forward if hold back. Siggy is nowhere. The others became more and more nervous as it went on. AVB might be a good tactician but he better learn how to get his message through fast or we need rid even quicker.

It's not AVB's fault we miss so many chances.

For the first half that's correct. No excuse with his subs though. It was very clear that neither ade or defoe knew who was to lead the line. Both players found themselves out if sinc with each other. If AVB plays one up top then the one he wanted up top should have known who he was. Neither did and very obviously so.

Jenas had no clear instruction at all. If he did then either he's an idiot or AVB didn't get his message across. (i think the later. Worryingly similar to his problem at chelsea last year ) he was unable to affect the game in any way. He neither got forward or covered the space behind. Same as siggy. He was put on to push against an ever more confident brom. Again it just made us top heavy once ade had already come on. Was siggy supposed to track back and cover or were the wingers and full backs supposed to double up and let those ahead break. All I saw was wingers playing as full backs and no sign of a midfield at all.

Second game me arse. We were a shambles at the end of that and it won't take much for that type of crap to get under our lots skin and skew our deservedly High confidence. Having a plan in your head is one thing, getting the message across is another. That's where AVB failed in a monumental way last year. You've got to ask, and its bloody right to ask, has much changed.

I'm gonna stick my neck on the line here and say this is a ramos all over again. He'll be gone by Xmas and an old reliable (moyes etc) will be shoved in as a replacement.

Kiith wrote: »
    No more than they deserve. AVB has failed to communicate any instruction to the players since the game started. The team was set up properly from the start but the players would have set themselves up better after that. Ade doesn't know if he's a direct replacement for vdv or if he's up top, jenas isn't sure either to move forward if hold back. Siggy is nowhere. The others became more and more nervous as it went on. AVB might be a good tactician but he better learn how to get his message through fast or we need rid even quicker.

It's not AVB's fault we miss so many chances.

For the first half that's correct. No excuse with his subs though. It was very clear that neither ade or defoe knew who was to lead the line. Both players found themselves out if sinc with each other. If AVB plays one up top then the one he wanted up top should have known who he was. Neither did and very obviously so.

Jenas had no clear instruction at all. If he did then either he's an idiot or AVB didn't get his message across. (i think the later. Worryingly similar to his problem at chelsea last year ) he was unable to affect the game in any way. He neither got forward or covered the space behind. Same as siggy. He was put on to push against an ever more confident brom. Again it just made us top heavy once ade had already come on. Was siggy supposed to track back and cover or were the wingers and full backs supposed to double up and let those ahead break. All I saw was wingers playing as full backs and no sign of a midfield at all.

Second game me arse. We were a shambles at the end of that and it won't take much for that type of crap to get under our lots skin and skew our deservedly High confidence. Having a plan in your head is one thing, getting the message across is another. That's where AVB failed in a monumental way last year. You've got to ask, and its bloody right to ask, has much changed.

I'm gonna stick my neck on the line here and say this is a ramos all over again. He'll be gone by Xmas and an old reliable (moyes etc) will be shoved in as a replacement.

I agree, i hope we are totally wrong though

• Advertisement

Can we rename this thread....

"THE KNEE-JERK REACTION TO THE WEST BROM GAME"

PS.. Did HR suffer late equalisers at home to Stoke, Norwich and Wolves last season...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

FFS.
    Firstly I haven't seen the game as I had a game of my own, I 'll watch it tonight on Sky. But all this talk of the manager going and he'll be gone by Xmas. Any hope of us giving him a chance no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I'm on the 'give it time' side of the fence and Mr. Guappa's post above supports such a belief.

My only concern with today was that AVB knew that Defoe was the only fully fit senior striker, so why did we play such a wide formation? When we got down the wings the players knew there was no point crossing to Defoe. I would have preferred to see maybe a narrow attacking formation with a compact three of Bale-VDV-Siggy behind Defoe. Thus, focussing on playing through balls through the channels, rather than going wide. Anyway, we have Adebayor signed now, so hopefully he will be fit to start next week.

As much as I appreciate Daniel Levy's ability to negotiate a deal, I think there comes a point when negotiating deals to death could cost us money. It's fair to say that last week's result could have been very different if a fit Ade was in the team. Come the end of the season, we could easily miss out on Champions League qualification (and £40m) by the three points we dropped last week.

I think this coming week we should focus on completing the Modric deal and signing a replacement playmaker. Livermore and Sandro should not be starting at home to WBA - it's far too defensive!

Anyway, Norwich (h), Reading (a) and QPR (h) - a potential nine points.

COYS!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm gonna back AVB, hope levy does too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I dont believe for a minute that AVB will be gone by xmas, but if he is then he will be joined by Levy himself surely. If AvB doesnt work out then it will set us back years and all the progress of recent seasons will have been for nothing.

But personnally I think its way too soon for all that. Get used to the inconsistent results and frustrating petformances lads 'cos its gonna take time for the AVB revolution to take hold. Lets see where we are at xmas.

I dont believe for a minute that AVB will be gone by xmas, but if he is then he will be joined by Levy himself surely. If AvB doesnt work out then it will set us back years and all the progress of recent seasons will have been for nothing.

But personnally I think its way too soon for all that. Get used to the inconsistent results and frustrating petformances lads 'cos its gonna take time for the AVB revolution to take hold. Lets see where we are at xmas.

In the post match , avb says ' we are one point better off than last year '

Does he put west brom and new castle in the same league as the Manchester duo ??

Let's see what happens before deadline day , it will have to be major I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

We're going to get eaten alive by the likes of City,Chelsea,Utd if we continue like this.I've seen a couple of interviews with AVB lately and I honestly haven't a clue what he's on about and I don't think he does either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Lads, this is Tottenham we are talking about, are we really surprised that we give away a last minute equaliser at home to a supposedly inferior team. Did not see the game yet but I believe we had a bag full of chances. That sound familiar...
    Nothing surprises me anymore with Tottenham.

tippspur wrote: »
    We're going to get eaten alive by the likes of City,Chelsea,Utd if we continue like this.I've seen a couple of interviews with AVB lately and I honestly haven't a clue what he's on about and I don't think he does either.

Harsh.You reckon the manager hasn't a clue what he's talking about, fair enough chief, give him a little longer than 2 games and lets see if he can change your mind.

• Advertisement

4 subs? Oh dear *facepalm*

:D:D:D

Didnt see the game... And tbh I didnt pay much attention to other peoples comments about the players not knowing what to do and AvB looking clueless but after reading that it doesnt sound good.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Harsh.You reckon the manager hasn't a clue what he's talking about, fair enough chief, give him a little longer than 2 games and lets see if he can change your mind.
    We finished the game with Livermore and Jenas in the middle of the field for jazis sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

was at the game today.

Playing 2 holding midfielders is so frustrating. Livermore isn't a spurs players. I'm backing AVB, i think he'll get it right. Love to see the back of VDV , the bloke just doesn't track back.

1 point more than we had this time last season, big week this week , we need to get at least 3 players in the door.

Onwards and upwards.

BERBA wrote: »
    Playing 2 holding midfielders is so frustrating. Livermore isn't a spurs players

Two things we'll have to get used to....

Two box to box midfielders sitting in front of the back four and a player whom AVB appears to rate highly... Actually thought Livermore played well, some great tracking and around 60mims he played a lovely ball to JD who selfishly spoiled the opportunity...

BERBA wrote: »
    was at the game today.

Playing 2 holding midfielders is so frustrating. Livermore isn't a spurs players. I'm backing AVB, i think he'll get it right. Love to see the back of VDV , the bloke just doesn't track back.

1 point more than we had this time last season, big week this week , we need to get at least 3 players in the door.

Onwards and upwards.
    You have no choice than to back AVB because you wanted Harry out the door in the first place ;)

tippspur wrote: »

When he was manager of Chelsea, I thought his post match interviews were ridiculous. He just waffled on endlessly and ended up confusing himself and the reporter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Thought we played well for the first 70 mins then we seemed to get tired.Will take a few games to get used to the new tactics but we will get there and a win against norwich will boost confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Didn't see the game either. The majority on here wanted Redknapp out, even though we played our best football under him. Anyone who thought we'd be pushing on for 3rd is focking nuts.

A hard season lays ahead, we'll limp to midtable. AVB has a tough job with high expectations, I hope he succeeds, I genuinely do.

Advertisement