Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or has this summer been unusually muggy?

Options
  • 21-08-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

So I know it hasn't been too warm but it's definitely muggy ...anyone else think so?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I would agree. Despite the rain, I think this summer will statistically be a warm summer?

I have had the bedroom window open every night for the last couple of weeks - in some recent summers the window has not been opened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭moffit

Very warm at night for the last few weeks.. Let's hope it lasts for a good while yet so the heating doesn't have to go on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its been a very humid summer. A relative was in Italy (Tuscany/Umbria) in 35 degrees and noted how it wasn't oppressive as expected as the air was dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Ya I was in Madrid in July and even though it was considerably hotter it was actually far more comfortable because the air was relatively dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I walked over the East-Link bridge one day last week (the last bridge over the Liffey in Dublin Docklands), mid-morning, and looking out to sea you could see a a huge wall of fog starting just where the land ends. That's what happens when the humid air comes in to contact with the cold sea - you get condensation that hangs in the air. Fog normally burns off under the sun, but this bank looked like it was there for the day. The foghorns were going full blast, too: it must be hairy trying to navigate a ship through that, even with radar and GPS.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

August has been for sure, thought July was a bit fresher though.
    September almost here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Horrible weather this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Yeah I've hated it. Seems to give me headaches too when its oppresively humid.

45degrees in Death Valley and it was gorgeously dry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

June and July were cooler and wetter the normal. However August is turning out to be warmer than normal. Average temperature is about 2°c above normal this month.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Jpmarn wrote: »
    June and July were cooler and wetter the normal. However August is turning out to be warmer than normal. Average temperature is about 2°c above normal this month.

Yeah, just looking at Casement (as it is my nearest station) mean temp so far this month is 16.5c compared to 13.6c for last August and average of 14.5c!

So far this month has been pretty good here, this side of Dublin (southside) anyway, we have not got the showers that some of the rest of Dublin has got this month being more sheltered by the mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Broke the 100mm threshold here today for the month of August (current month total now at 100.1mm) with all 3 summer months this year now with 100mm + rainfall totals. My August total is almost 40mm more than that of Claremorris, the nearest official station to me about 25km to my NNW (Station total of 64.2mm up to 22nd) which shows just how intense the showers have been in the wider local region over the last few weeks. :)

IMT wise, this summer is likely to finish slightly cooler than average overall but thankfully not as cool as that horror summer of 2011. Quick chart just to show mean temp so far this season as compared to the 1981-2010 average and that of the same period in 2011.

218162.PNG

Data from met.ie

Much wetter though than summer 2011 this time around but what I will most remember this summer for is its lack of decent thunderstorm activity, at least here in Galway. Whist thunder is always an elusive phenomena in Ireland we are certainly capable of far better than the scraps the last 2 or 3 years have thrown at us.

Rainfall total here for August (so far) is only at 51.2mm - we have missed out on a lot of the heavy showers here so far this month. July total was 89.7mm while June gave a wopping 242.2mm here!

So, yes, it is going to be statiscally a (very) wet summer....but, warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I might be alone in this but I prefer the kind of summer we are having to our 'usual'... which is often that irritating , persistent, hateful misty rain that falls for hours and hours or even days at a time!

I much prefer the recent type which is a good batter of rain for 5-10 mins followed by a couple of hours of dry warm weather before the next deluge.

So if its going to rain, at least get it over and done with, and if there is any decency at all, throw in the odd rattle of thunder and a few cracks of lightning please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yeah, just looking at Casement (as it is my nearest station) mean temp so far this month is 16.5c compared to 13.6c for last August and average of 14.5c!

So far this month has been pretty good here, this side of Dublin (southside) anyway, we have not got the showers that some of the rest of Dublin has got this month being more sheltered by the mountains.

The 1980 - 2010 average on Met E for Casement is 15.4c and the 1971 to 2000 is 15.1c so not sure where you got 14.5c? In other words, the current mean of 16.4c, is nothing too peculiar. While the past few weeks have been far warmer than normal it's nothing too far above average.

compsys wrote: »
    The 1980 - 2010 average on Met E for Casement is 15.4c and the 1971 to 2000 is 15.1c so not sure where you got 14.5c?

You are dead right! I double checked that and I obviously jumbled the numbers when typing - 15.4 became 14.5! :o

Yes, current mean is nothing peculiar (I was not trying to clain it was) but it's just a lot better than last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

DOCARCH wrote: »
    compsys wrote: »
    The 1980 - 2010 average on Met E for Casement is 15.4c and the 1971 to 2000 is 15.1c so not sure where you got 14.5c?

You are dead right! I double checked that and I obviously jumbled the numbers when typing - 15.4 became 14.5! :o

Yes, current mean is nothing peculiar (I was not trying to clain it was) but it's just a lot better than last year![/Quote

Totally agree that things have been better than last year. Indeed in Dublin at least it's felt reasonably summer like over the past two weeks or so for the first time in years almost.

However my point about the temps was simply to point out that although things may have felt quite muggy and warm over the past two weeks or so the temps really haven't been that far above the long term average for Ireland.

I think this just goes to show how cool the temps have been over the past few summers, ie temps of 21 to 22c at best feel very warm now. A few years ago these temps would probably have just about felt average (in Dublin and the sth east at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I think at Dublin Airport the max temp for the first 23 days of August only dropped below 18 degrees 3 times and was above 20 degrees on 11 occasions.I would have taken that if you asked me on July 31st. Also there has definitely been far more pleasant sunshine around than Jun/July and I actually have been quite surprised considering what we have been subjected to.

Advertisement