Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the exorcist?

Options
  • 21-08-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

i was metal detecting along the banks of the river foyle in derry. i was a couple of feet above high tide line, when i got a couple of signals, and when i dug, i retrieved these little bottles with messages in them. when i took them home all four bottles contained similar messages. looks like an exorcism or something...i also got 13 musket balls lol

T8jf0l.jpg
    JD6nDl.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Do you think it was wise...............to open the bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 derry dirtfisher

sure i didnt know what was in them.
    im not very superstitious but i must admit to feeling a bit uneasy when i seen what they were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Might be worth approaching a museum about them or something!

Interesting!

you think so?
    ill contact the museum service in derry to see what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dunno, they look old right? If you found them near some musket balls then I guess they're old enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I would absolutely die if I was to find something like that. That is freaky! :eek:

Dave! wrote: »
    Dunno, they look old right? If you found them near some musket balls then I guess they're old enough

they were in glass bottles, and had bits of cork stuff in the top to keep out moisture.
    the only identifiable bottle was a dettol on with markings for teaspoons on one side and tablespoons on the other.
    i guess they were buried around the 1960's
    the musket balls would have been around from the time of the siege of derry in 1689. its known that quite a few skirmishes took place around the area where i dug the bottles up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

And no genies at all, unlucky :P

Seriously though, that's weird. Like 60's ultra-Christian geocaching...

sure i didnt know what was in them.

The plot of a thousand horror films. Man unearths strange looking containers - then innocently uncorks them. ......If they were buried, they must've been buried for a reason.
    im not very superstitious but i must admit to feeling a bit uneasy when i seen what they were

Yes...the uneasy feeling.......that also happens in horror films too. Just at the point the innocent person who has unearthed and uncorked the strange bottles, gets the uneasy feeling that maybe they shouldn't have done that.

I suppose, you could shove the messages back in the bottles and rebury them....but I've never seen it working in any horror film I've ever seen.

Dave! wrote: »

Those bottles are not as old as the musket balls. They're 20th century baby liquor bottles. The visible glass print on the side of the bottle, visible in the second picture is not something that was been done by hand.

• Advertisement

i had to break a couple of the bottles to get the messages out anyway so thats out the window lol...looks like im doomed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I am not superstitious or anything but if I was you I would put those back where I found them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

i had to break a couple of the bottles to get the messages out anyway so thats out the window lol...looks like im doomed

:eek:

Creepy stuff finding something like that buried. Amazed just how calm you are after finding them, haha. I'd be really creeped out if that was me. Best of luck hope you survive! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I remember my father saying that a kind of religious cleansing service took place
    right beside my house in the 60s. The priest came out and cleansed the place
    because of activity which used to happen late at night. All the neighbours
    attended including my father and when the priest finished he burried some prayers in bottles with other religious items under a tree. We were always warned not to try to dig near that tree. Could be the same thing maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Wow, what a fantastic bit of social history! People used to bury all kinds of things; from 'curses' to prayers as they believed it helped their efficacy

• Registered Users Posts: 18 vince mc

betcha if you looked around you would find more in the area you were in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I am not superstitious or anything but if I was you I would put those back where I found them.

Wouldn't that be....a superstitious thing to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wow! Something genuinely interesting here, would love to know the back story to these bottles. If you find anything else let us know k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Ah, people shouldn't be scaremongering the OP, by saying he might have disrupted something that should have been left alone, etc.

Sure I've often found old things buried in places - I once found a couple of cats' skulls and a makeshift cross (two twigs bound together using twine) and took them home, before later throwing them into the wheelie bin - and nothing strange happened afterwards.

They're just objects. They're only as meaningful as you think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

Wow. Cool thread. Very random but interesting to hear the stories about the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 kevin james murray

is that in latin the writing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Whut?

no, its in english

the small ones say this:
    "We'll ever betray thee Satan Hosts of Hades ever by Father Son HOLY SPIRIT Yes by the DIVINE POWER of our God Amen"

and the bigger one this:
    "We'll ever betray thee Satan Hosts of Hades ever by other plan of plans DIVINE Yes by Father Son HOLY SPIRIT Yes by the DIVINE POWER of our God Amen" (Repeated X3)

They're just objects. They're only as meaningful as you think they are.

yeah, whoever buried them may have got some sort of placebo effect.

I once found a couple of cats' skulls and a makeshift cross (two twigs bound together using twine) and took them home, before later throwing them into the wheelie bin - and nothing strange happened afterwards.

When I was a kid I would collect cats' skulls and then when I had enough, create a Satan looking alter, with twigs and twine, out somewhere where people might go for a walk. For fun.

But people would wreck them........it wasn't, you was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

krd wrote: »
    When I was a kid I would collect cats' skulls and then when I had enough, create a Satan looking alter, with twigs and twine, out somewhere where people might go for a walk. For fun.

But people would wreck them........it wasn't, you was it?

Ha, ha, I don't know. :) Did you grow up in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Sorry, these are clearly written in ballpoint pen (Absolutely no smudges, indicating that no other type of pen was used. It also looks stenceled. and the way the ink runs is spread as a posed to blotchy.) The first patent was given in 1988. And, knowing Ireland, was'nt sold until the early 1990's.

They look interesting, But probably just ye ould Irish people taking the utter piss. or A type of millennium burial, not to be found for hundreds of years to freak out people who stumbled upon them? educated guess.

were you sober when you wrote that crap thornography ?
    biros have neen available since the 1930's

ps, an educated person would have spelt stenciled properly, so yours was obviously a badly educated guess

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Interesting
    There is a type of witchcraft curse known as "Witch Bottles"
    I believe this involved making a spell against an individual and casting the bottle with symbols / objects/ curse in a place where it cannot be retrieved or would have a baleful influence on the person against whom it is directed.

• Advertisement

Ha, ha, I don't know. :) Did you grow up in Cork?

No, I'm not from Cork.

But I knew other people who would do this kind of thing. I knew a sculpture who would planet gnomes and in fairies in woodland. Also a farmer who constructed a little fairy alter in a clump of trees on his land. It gets people talking.

Back - maybe as far back as the 80s - there was a little stir over strange stuff found up in the Wicklow mountains. Strange photographs pinned to trees and things. It turned out to be a artist - doing a kind of wild cat installation.

Advertisement