Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the exorcist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

This is a cool thread, I would guess that the bottles date sometime after '62 based on the prayers (if that's what they are) being in English. The Vatican Two came in around then and the transition of Latin to English prayers began.

To whoever was posting that the biro hadn't ran, if they were in cork sealed bottles, they wouldn't run at all. Sure, they've found some old bottles of wine that were perfect after sitting around for a few hundred years that were sealed by cork! :)

Having consulted my devoutly Catholic grandmother, I'm told that similar prayer bottles were a common enough occurrence in the '40s and '50s. She thinks this might be prayers for someone that had mental health issues, rather than an exorcism. To my knowledge, Catholic exorcisms are still carried out in Latin. Once again, great thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 derry dirtfisher

i think youre correct aoife1991.
    the location they were found would indeed suggest that there could very well be a mental health connection
    thanks for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

This reminds me of an old Catholic tradition/superstition/belief that if you were tryin to buy a house, you would be looked upon favourably by a higher power if you buried a "miraculous" medal" in the garden of the house of your dreams.

I found 2 in the garden of a house I used to live in, neither of which I buried.

I was also reading an item of catholic doctrine recently regarding the importance of the picture of the "Sacred Heart", of which every devout catholic home should have one...etc

It describes how the entire family should take the picture out frequently, gather round it and pray, saying a prescribed number of the decades of the rosary AND THEN "favours" would be bestowed upon the family.

I'd say these bottles are from that sort of RC indoctrination. Man it would make a great movie...

Sorry, these are clearly written in ballpoint pen (Absolutely no smudges, indicating that no other type of pen was used. It also looks stenceled. and the way the ink runs is spread as a posed to blotchy.) The first patent was given in 1988. And, knowing Ireland, was'nt sold until the early 1990's.

They look interesting, But probably just ye ould Irish people taking the utter piss. or A type of millennium burial, not to be found for hundreds of years to freak out people who stumbled upon them? educated guess.

Thornography... Are u having a laugh? (1888 patented).

I must dig out an advertismement for the "new" ball point pen in the Catholic Directory from 1948.

They were flogging this revolutionary new writing pen at 30 shillings a pop or 45 shillings for one in a silver plated pen holder. Kerching!

I'd say this is throwback to the tradition of the "Witch Bottle"...

From Wiki:

"The witch bottle is a very old spell device. Its purpose is to draw in and trap harmful intentions directed at its owner. Folk magic contends that the witch bottle protects against evil spirits and magical attack, and counteracts spells cast by witches.

A traditional witch bottle is a small flask, about 3 inches high, created from blue or green glass. Larger and rounder witch bottles, up to 9 inches high, were known as Greybeards and employed so-called Bartmann or Bellarmine jugs. Bellarmines were named after a particularly fearsome Catholic Inquisitor, Robert Bellarmine, who persecuted Protestants and was instrumental in the burning of Giordano Bruno . Greybeards and Bellarmines were not made of glass, but of brown or gray stoneware that was glazed with salt and embossed with severe bearded faces designed to scare off evil.

A witch, cunning man or woman, would prepare the witch's bottle. Historically, the witch's bottle contained the victim's (the person who believed they had a spell put on them, for example) urine, hair or nail clippings, or red thread from sprite traps. In recent years, the witch's bottle has taken on a nicer tone, filled with rosemary, needles and pins, and red wine. Historically and currently, the bottle is then buried at the farthest corner of the property, beneath the house hearth, or placed in an inconspicuous spot in the house. It is believed that after being buried, the bottle captures evil which is impaled on the pins and needles, drowned by the wine, and sent away by the rosemary."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

This reminds me of an old Catholic tradition/superstition/belief that if you were tryin to buy a house, you would be looked upon favourably by a higher power if you buried a "miraculous" medal" in the garden of the house of your dreams.

I found 2 in the garden of a house I used to live in, neither of which I buried.

There seems to be a lot of superstition attached to those miraculous medals. A guy I knew before gave me a couple of those, telling me that they'd bring me good fortune (I rolled my eyes at this).

A short while later, I gave them to a woman who I knew to be very religious. She balked and said, "You'll be giving your luck away!" I shrugged and insisted she take them, but it took a bit of coaxing to get her to accept them.

I've also heard about people getting a St. Benedict medal blessed by a priest to protect themselves from, or ward off, Satan.

I don't understand the superstition attached to these little pieces of religious paraphernalia at all.

• Advertisement

Cheers Mr MojoRising.

Indeed, having been brought up in that faith, its always been a bit of a headscratcher for me.

There's lots of practices associated with Catholicism ,which I would put down to superstition...like Holy Water, Stigmata, and the likes, this is probably a separate thread? (People who are renowned for having the "Cure" for various ills, seems to be a particularly Irish catholic thing too).

I was of the understanding that "superstition" was a sin in the RC Church, mind you so was eating meat on a Friday up until the 60's (?) but I digress..:D

But from the original photos, its clear that religious belief was involved in the burying of the bottles...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Jadestar

The first thread I have read on boards.ie, I hope the rest are as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Between this thread and the devils passage one and the dogs going crazy im freaked the fock out! Great finds and great stories but I'm going back to after hours!

*hides under blanket*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Between this thread and the devils passage one and the dogs going crazy im freaked the fock out! Great finds and great stories but I'm going back to after hours!

*hides under blanket*

Links please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

gozunda wrote: »

*hides under blanket*

Links please!

Devils passage link?

• Advertisement

*hides under blanket*

Links please!

Devils passage link?

Links to other threads you mentioned...:-{|

Cheers Mr MojoRising.

Indeed, having been brought up in that faith, its always been a bit of a headscratcher for me.

Yeah, I was brought up as a Catholic as well (attended schools where there was a strong emphasis on religion and the associated ceremonies, and was hauled to mass every weekend), but I still didn't adopt any of the staunch beliefs and superstitions. I considered them but, personally, I never bothered to integrate any of it into my daily life. One thing that comes to mind is that I don't bless myself when a hearse drives past me/I drive past a hearse, although I've known quite a few people who have done that.

I do think there is some sensible morality ingrained in facets of it, like being good to people who are good to you, helping people who are genuinely in need, sharing if you have the means, as well as the more no-brainer things like not killing people, or not having it off with your neighbour's wife (lol). Not all of it is b.s., in fairness (because it does make life and your immediate environment/locality better), but I'd draw the line at certain, more obtuse parts of it all (too extensive to get into here).
    There's lots of practices associated with Catholicism ,which I would put down to superstition...like Holy Water, Stigmata, and the likes, this is probably a separate thread? (People who are renowned for having the "Cure" for various ills, seems to be a particularly Irish catholic thing too).

I was of the understanding that "superstition" was a sin in the RC Church, mind you so was eating meat on a Friday up until the 60's (?) but I digress..:D

Yeah, it's very ambiguous of them to openly denounce superstition and then... well, practice very superstitious rituals like the ones you mentioned. Do they not see the hypocrisy in that? :rolleyes: My parents adhere to not eating meat on Good Friday, and Ash Wednesday as well, but not on ordinary Fridays or Wednesdays.

It says here that some unnamed Catholic website has enorsed the Saint Benedict medal as possessing supernatural powers.
    Other forms of superstition include the Saint Benedict medal that needs to be buried in the ground to ward off evil spirits. According to one Catholic website, the St. Benedict medal contains supernatural powers to “cure bodily ills and protect against contagious diseases. In time of storms, tempests and other dangers on land and sea it has been found to be a protection. Even domestic animals have been visibly aided by it when infected with disease.”

I wouldn't set much store by that website above though - it just looks like another one of those maniacally devout vehicles for Jesus/God-obsessed weirdos who find 'evil' wherever they choose to find it (usually in otherwise-innocuous things or rituals, and even in songs, ffs).

As regards what you said about people believed to have 'the Cure' - I've been reading a book lately about a Kildare-based fella named Joe Cassidy, who claims he can heal people.

In the book, he talks about it being common in rural Irish communities over the years for there to be a person whom people would summon whenever they, or a family member, had health problems, or when an animal was sick (such as some farmer's cow). Whatever your views are on the whole thing (I'd be on the fence myself), it's still an interesting read.

Article about him: http://www.leinsterleader.ie/lifestyle/entertainment/naas-diviner-joe-cassidy-has-the-healing-touch-1-3765556

I'm really veering OT now, but there's a radio interview with Joe Cassidy here that might be of interest to people:

But from the original photos, its clear that religious belief was involved in the burying of the bottles...

Definitely. The sight of all the objects alone pretty much speaks for itself. You couldn't look at those bottles having been buried like that and the prayers procured from them and then sever the religious connection.

Apart from possibly Paganism or Wicca, I'd say it'd be highly unlikely to find bottles having been buried like that in more recent years. Society has become much more modern and mercurial, and religion has really taken a backseat, but that almost goes without saying really.

Links please!
    Devils passage link?
    Links to other threads you mentioned...:-{|

Thread on 'Devil's Passage Corcaigh': http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055745577

Thankies....

@Mr Mojo Rising...top post there, thanks.

I've been reading through a lot of the other threads on Paranormal and there seems to be a significant level of bickering, ankle biting or whatever, and condesencion including comments by mods.

Your contributions are on a different level to theirs. I don't mean to stir it up, just stating what I'm reading. Thanks again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I was also reading an item of catholic doctrine recently regarding the importance of the picture of the "Sacred Heart", of which every devout catholic home should have one...etc

It describes how the entire family should take the picture out frequently, gather round it and pray, saying a prescribed number of the decades of the rosary AND THEN "favours" would be bestowed upon the family.

I'd say these bottles are from that sort of RC indoctrination. Man it would make a great movie...
    This reminds me of a job I was working on around 1982. The refurbishment was for an Armenian couple at Brent Cross. All new concrete floors .......... but the wife wanted a statue of the (not so) little Child Of Prague inserted into the new floor ....... standing up. We had to put an extra 3 cubic metres of concrete to level the whole ground floor. And please no smartass advising that we should have dug a hole beforehand .......... she only brought out your man after we had started pouring :)

Advertisement