Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to bodyboarding

Options
  • 21-08-2012 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has it taken some of ye long to progress from the middle wave to the big wave,then onto the reefs.

I know were all different I'm not a strong swimmer but from surf fishing for bass over the year's I have an idea about the force of the waves,do you need to be a strong swimmer to bodyboard Rileys Wave in Clare ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I would imagine so!!! Try out some big hollow waves in Sp Point first........

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Northclare wrote: »
    Just wondering has it taken some of ye long to progress from the middle wave to the big wave,then onto the reefs.

I know were all different I'm not a strong swimmer but from surf fishing for bass over the year's I have an idea about the force of the waves,do you need to be a strong swimmer to bodyboard Rileys Wave in Clare ?

That's inspired.

How could you look at that and not think you'd have to be anything but the highest of levels to feel you could do it?

There was a great video last year of done goon who turned up and thought he'd have a go. It was him trying to crawl across the reef with his fins snapped and all but coughing up a lung. I hadn't seen the beating he'd taken prior to that but looking at this he was lucky to be alive.

Unfortunately he managed to get it take down, could have stood as a great warning for people.

Think of it this way, if your able for somewhere like that your not going to have to ask online, you'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You would need to be an exceptionally strong swimmer, a lot of experience, be fit as fock and be able to take a bad beating, strong bones and good insurance or you will die

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Agree with above, but being a strong swimmer and fit etc while vital, is not nearly enough to think about heading out at spots like Rileys. I hope you are just trolling, because if you are serious . . . .

Step back, enjoy learning and building your skills and you will know when it is right to start progressing onto other more critical surf situations such as reefs etc.

Remember, that being out of your depth skills-wise is not only a real danger to yourself, but also a real danger to others around you in the water,

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

Northclare wrote: »

Riley's isn't just a reef, it's a deathtrap. There's a reason it gets so much coverage in magazines, because people realise its awesome power and the skill needed to even venture out on to it.

If you're feeling confident try one of the more gentle reefs in lahinch first, and see if you like catching waves above rocks before you consider Spanish point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Maybe ill be better off sticking to the beach tbh lol

Thanks for your help everyone

Advertisement