Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16" round cake tins??

Options
  • 21-08-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Im looking for a 16" round and square cake tin. 3" high. any idea where I could find one? I need one asap so don't have time for online deliveries!!
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You will have more success if you provide your location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Will a 16 inch tin fit in your oven? Most domestic ovens would be hard pushed to take one that size, it's pretty huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oct31baby

Sorry based in Dublin!! Im hoping to use it just for chocolate biscuit cake. Ive been asked to do one for a wedding for the bottom tier of cake. Will I have problems icing it do you reckon?

That is massive, what size are the other tiers and how many are there? That would feed about 175 wedding portions and would cost a fortune to make. Icing it would be tough but moving it when iced would be even tougher!

hmmm, I might have to rethink this one!! other tiers are 14,12,10,8 and 6 all iced but fake. they just want a real tier to feed people. its a big wedding. any suggestions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I would be more inclined to make the largest ones fake, much more manageable. I would make the 16, 14, fake definitely and maybe the 12 & 10 real, 8 & 6 could be fake as well then. Is it to be square or round?

okay i did up the costings there, not too bad. If I use Odlums recipe for 8" round and multiply by 4 for 16" it works out like this (buying ingredients from Lidl)
    1600gm Butter €8.80
    1800gm Choc (2:1 dark to milk) €12.50
    4 packs digestives €1.60
    4 packs Rich Tea €1.10
    700 ml Golden Syrup €2

Total comes to roughly €26

The couple want to keep the top tiers together as fake to keep as a souvenier or whatever after the wedding for a while. I've never made one on this scale before. Is it okay to use Lidl brands? The chocolate is good quality. the dark one has 70% in it.

sorry Phorium I just saw your post there after I posted. The cake is to be round. I suppose I could just leave the large tier withoiut icing in the kitchen of hotel for them to cut up?

I use 5 times the liquid portion of the Odlums mix and 4 times the biscuits for a 12" three inches high round so you would need way more for a 16" round tin and even more for a square.

I never understand fake cake, one or two large tiers maybe if impractical sizes or a small top one if for effect with topper or something but to have every tier bar one of a 6 tier cake fake, what's the point, it's a fake!

okay thanks phorium, will have to recalculate my ingredients!! Whats your opinion on golden syrup versus condensed milk by the way?? much of a difference??
    The couple want extra tiers just for the effect. You could say they were a bit 'extravagant'.

• Advertisement

Condensed milk gives a much more fudge like texture to the cbc, I actually prefer it made that way, I think it cuts better too but people seem to prefer the golden syrup recipe which does keep the biscuits crunchier longer.

The Odlums recipe is a very soft mix and depending on the weather I increase the chocolate compared to the butter ratio, during some of the recent humid warm weather I found that recipe would barely stay solid at room temperature, fine while refrigerated before icing but softening when out of fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

add more chocolate to it. I only just made my own wedding cake and this is what i did and it worked fine. Although the largest tier i had was 12" and we had loads. also if you look on odlems website the have a link to wedding cakes and the cbc recipe is slightly different leaving you with a harder cake but i still threw in some extra chocolate and it was fine. best of luck but i would say you might be hard pressed to find a 16" cake tine so maYbe go for 12"

thanks milkandsugar,
    can i asl you what chocolate you used?? I used Lidl 70% and lidl milk chocolate at a ratio of about 2:1 and it was horrible!! I just cant get recipe right.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Did you try Decobake on bachelors walk for the tin?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

I used cadburys tiffen bars.( they were on sale in Dunnes for 2 for 2 euro for 100g so not to big a difference in price) It was lovely for the milk cbc. i also made dark cbc and used lidl for that and it was lovely. is there any reason that you are using two types of chocolate??

Hi Ladypip
    Yep i rang them and they have them in stock but they are about 26 euro i think. although I cant imagine getting it much cheaper anywhere else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

No i dont think youd find it cheaper anywhere else. Are you making the cake as a present or something?

You should use a mix of 50% milk choc and 50% dark, not Cadburys or any of that eating chocolate, they have very low cocoa solids and don't give a good texture or taste, not as good as good quality chocolate would.

Advertisement