Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History Project

• 21-08-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm doing my history project for the leaving and as a class my teacher tried to give us individually some ideas on what we should do, he asked me to do mine over the summer on Sir Oswald Mosley Founder of the Brittish Union of Facists. i've studied a bit about him but i've decided to change tack as the sources i have on him aren't very informative and hard to write the required amount on.. i'm trying to think of a good project to do instead, one that will catch the eye. . any ideas?? and some good sources?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aisling_123

The Salem witch trials is quite interesting but I'd say a lot of people have done it before!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm doing my history project for the leaving and as a class my teacher tried to give us individually some ideas on what we should do, he asked me to do mine over the summer on Sir Oswald Mosley Founder of the Brittish Union of Facists. i've studied a bit about him but i've decided to change tack as the sources i have on him aren't very informative and hard to write the required amount on.. i'm trying to think of a good project to do instead, one that will catch the eye. . any ideas?? and some good sources?

What about his influence in Ireland? Letters to the Irish Times supporting him, influence on the policies of various parties here, that sort of thing. Seems a shame to waste all the work you've already done on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭BdaraB

My advice is to avoid Ireland all together, every examiner is going to have seen any bit of Irish history hundreds of times. Also try and pick something that you enjoy as a hobby. I did mine on the development of the Mini and managed an A1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well the Chief Examiner in History asks every year for more Irish projects, but then what would they know?

Thanks for joining boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I did mine on the Siege of the Alcázar.
    I found a good number of articles on the subject in Irish newspapers of the era and several good books on the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There's a new study of Mosley and the New Party by Matthew Worley (Palgrave Macmillan, 2010). Might be a little expensive to be buying yourself, but you could check with your local library as to whether they have it or could access it for you.

His autobiography might also be available though the library, or it's a lot cheaper in any case: http://www.stevenbooks.co.uk/product/933/My-Life--Oswald-Mosley Do however remember to treat autobiographies with care: they are subjective and sometimes should really be titled "The bits I want to remember about my life" or "In my defence ...".

Unless you're totally uninterested in the topic, it's a pity to be changing horses at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

I did mine on The Discovery and Influence of D.N.A Profiling, something weird and most likely never done before. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

Projects in my class that were done:
    Murder of Leon Trotsky
    Treatment of the Japanese in America during WWII
    Pope Pius XII and his attitude to the atrocities committed during WWII
    The Pendle Witch Trials in England
    I did the Trial of Anne Boleyn.

Obviously there were others, but I can't remember them at the moment. My advice would definitely be to do something you find interesting. You'll be spending a long time with the topic.
    Also, make notes while you're reading the books. I didn't and it was extremely irritating having to flick back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Soriel

I did mine on internment of German forces in the Curragh during WW2, I was rushed in the choice! The helpful thing aout it was that it did overlap slightly with the general course ie I could inject that extra info into an essay on Ireland during WW2 etc. Avoid Bobby Sands and the Kilmichael Ambush as apparently they get picked up massively every year.

You should definitely choose something you have an interest in. I loved history, got my A1, but I had very little interest in the topic, and it's very tedious when that happens.

Advertisement