Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who didn't go to their debs this year?

• 21-08-2012 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I didn't, and don't regret it. The reason I'm starting this thread is coz I'm so happy I took a big risk and I don't regret it. Sure it's all one big OTT glorified piss-up anyway, espicially at my school. Instead of having it at a standard hotel, where it would only cost you 30euro, and also would be a half hour or so away from where I live,
    these stuck-up rich people on the commitee last year thought it would be a great idea, even in a recession, to have it nearly an hour and 1/2 -two hours away, would cost you 60-90 euro for one ticket, and it's all held in a glam 5-star hotel where dinner is absolute crap. I know coz i went last year with a friend, while it was a bit of craic, was SO not the effort of money and going half across the country for. And now this year's debs did the exact same thing this year, so i thought "**** this!" Don't like half of my year anymore anyway.:D

Went to the cinema with my cousin instead to see Ted. Honest to god, I think I had a better time at the cinema than I would at this year's debs and was cheaper too, ha. Even got a funny but creepy memory from that of this weird guy who came on his own, kept talking to people on his fone, and stared at me and my cousin, yikes! He left half way through, thank god, but before he did, he went down to the first row of seats where no one was seating, and walked up and down in the aisle in between the front row seats. I thought he was gonna take a seat at them, but he didnt for some reason and then just left. I was quare creeped out, ha! :p

Anyway, back to the subject, so did anyone here bother with their debs at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

never got to go 2 weeks into my army training girl i was suposed to bring wasnt impressed:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Seeing as the debs in my school was cancelled, my boyfriend at the time was bringing me to his. Had everything arranged, a fair idea of a dress/hair etc, really excited about it, when a few weeks before the debs he finished with me and brought his ex...

Anyhows, that night I just hung out with my best friend, nothing special just a few giggles and food as ya do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

My Debs is on the 5th of September and I'm definitely not going :D People in my class going on about getting limo's and all that stuff and I'm just having none of it :pac:
    Me and my closest friends aren't going so we're going to go to the button factory and have a much better night anyway! :D
    I just don't see the point of it. Buying a tux, buying flowers and chocolates, 70 quid for a ticket and a bloody limo to go 60 miles down the road. Load of crap :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

My grads is tomorrow and I'm going. If you asked me a few months back I would have told you I wouldn't be caught dead there but I've realised that the debs/grads, regardless of being insanely expensive for such a short evening is a once in a lifetime event and considering for me and for most people it'll be the last time together as a group. I don't get on with everyone in my year but I do well with the vast majority of the year and besides seeing them once in the blue moon in a nightclub in the future I won't be seeing most for a good long while. The debs is overrated and I can understand the hate but honestly I'm glad I changed my mind. I went to the debs of my date tomorrow a few weeks back and eventhough I only knew about 20 people there it was an unbelievable night. There was such a buzz there that you just don't get on regular nights out. I think everyone would go and have a savage time were it not for the cost but honestly it's like a wedding or whatever, they don't come around very often at all. I know people who're in college who didn't go and they regret not going. Sure some people won't regret it but it is a guaranteed good night and it's one of those things you'll remember forever regardless of how much drink you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭gerarda

Didn't bother with mine, I hated the whole thing about you made feel like you were not one of the 'cool guys' because you didn't go. I had no interest in socializing with most of them anyway, left school, did the leaving cert and forgot all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

I think it seems to depend on the school and the year as much as the person. In our school, everyone got on reasonably well, we were always remarkably drama free.
    The debs itself was relatively low-key. We went to local hotel, 10 minutes away. People's parents brought them or they went in a mini bus. It was a bus that brought us to the local night club afterwards. The local paper took photos and the onus was on you to go to the paper and pay for a picture if you wanted one.
    Snobbery was never a thing in our school. Plenty of people got their dresses cheaply in TKMAX or online and many didn't get hair, nails, tan etc done.
    Overall, everyone had a good night as far as I know. If there were people you didn't like, it wasn't a problem once you got to the night club anyway, as it was packed with average clubbers, so would have been easy to avoid them.
    Overall, I'm pretty sure a good night was had by all. As far as I know, everyone except for a couple of LCA's were there.
    It's a shame when people are unable to go and enjoy their debs for whatever reason, it can be a great night. You won't forget it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Yeovil247

I wish I could go to my Debs but I wasn't willing to fork out the money for it. I went on a holiday abroad instead with 11 of my mates and it was by far the best holiday ever. So I'm happy I did that instead of the debs but still I would have loved to have gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 doylo56

amymak wrote: »
    I think it seems to depend on the school and the year as much as the person. In our school, everyone got on reasonably well, we were always remarkably drama free.
    The debs itself was relatively low-key. We went to local hotel, 10 minutes away. People's parents brought them or they went in a mini bus. It was a bus that brought us to the local night club afterwards. The local paper took photos and the onus was on you to go to the paper and pay for a picture if you wanted one.
    Snobbery was never a thing in our school. Plenty of people got their dresses cheaply in TKMAX or online and many didn't get hair, nails, tan etc done.
    Overall, everyone had a good night as far as I know. If there were people you didn't like, it wasn't a problem once you got to the night club anyway, as it was packed with average clubbers, so would have been easy to avoid them.
    Overall, I'm pretty sure a good night was had by all. As far as I know, everyone except for a couple of LCA's were there.
    It's a shame when people are unable to go and enjoy their debs for whatever reason, it can be a great night. You won't forget it anyway.

Wow, only 10 minutes away? That is what all Debs should be like, I would have loved to have gone to urs. That's what all Debs should be, low-key and as near to your home because it should suit everyone's standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Seeing as the debs in my school was cancelled, my boyfriend at the time was bringing me to his. Had everything arranged, a fair idea of a dress/hair etc, really excited about it, when a few weeks before the debs he finished with me and brought his ex...

Anyhows, that night I just hung out with my best friend, nothing special just a few giggles and food as ya do. :)

Holy crap sorry to hear that..

I never went this year because I had gone to the previous debs as I was in that year for 4 years.. It is far too expensive for one night

Advertisement