Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cabbage getting it right

Options
  • 21-08-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

i can never get cabbage to taste the way my mother did
    cut it into small pieces
    boil for a short time with half spoonful of breadsoda
    put on the frying pan with some onions
    then serve

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's no question in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I have a little question. I liked my mothers boiled cabbage too, but She never put soda in it. (she did put a spoon of soda in dried great northern beans. So the question is why do you put in soda? What does it do for the cabbage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

EZ24GET wrote: »
    I have a little question. I liked my mothers boiled cabbage too, but She never put soda in it. (she did put a spoon of soda in dried great northern beans. So the question is why do you put in soda? What does it do for the cabbage?

My mother claims the soda helps to soften the cabbage.

@ the op, do you fry the cabbage in butter or oil? What I do is fry up rashers first (in lashings of butter) and then fry the cabbage in the same butter/rasher fat oil. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I will have to try the soda next time. Yup bacon grease is a wonderful thing and you're making me hungry too :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

imo the best tasting cabbage is the cabbage we got growing up, cook the cabbage in bacon water until it turns to mash and a light green colour. damm tasty. an other nice way is to fry off some smoked bacon in a good bit of butter and white pepper, in a separate pot have some water boiling and add finely sliced green or savoy cabbage to it for a minute or two. take the cabbage out of the water and into the pan of bacon cook for another minute or two and enjoy.

the bread soda some people use also helps keep the colour

• Advertisement
Advertisement