Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonable hotels in galway

Options
  • 21-08-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

any suggestions of family friendly and reasonably priced hotels in galway city or near to the city?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

eeinke wrote: »
    any suggestions of family friendly and reasonably priced hotels in galway city or near to the city?

Thank you
    booking.com and tripadvisor more than adequately answer that question with their reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The same TRIPADVISOR that Carlton hotels were caught abusing/manipulating to give a false impression of their establishments?

Sometimes you can't beat information from locals in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

for reasonable hotels:

Jurys
    harbor hotel

both right in the centre of the town.

Park House
    Spanish Arch
    House Hotel (expensive I would say compared to the others)

Wards (lwr Salthill, old-fashioned but Im sure v. reasonable)

kraggy wrote: »
    The same TRIPADVISOR that Carlton hotels were caught abusing/manipulating to give a false impression of their establishments?

what were they doing - posting up great reviews of themselves?

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »

Yes that very same Tripadvisor which if you are in anyway intelligent you would see through any odd reviews, maybe its not for the dullards though, i'll bear it in mind next time i recommend it to the general public.

Yes that very same Tripadvisor which if you are in anyway intelligent you would see through any odd reviews, maybe its not for the dullards though, i'll bear it in mind next time i recommend it to the general public.

thats a litte mean ben don't you think.

Unless people are constantly on trip advisor or any site, they wouldn't know what an "odd" review is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

for reasonable hotels:

Jurys
    harbor hotel

both right in the centre of the town.

Park House
    Spanish Arch
    House Hotel (expensive I would say compared to the others)

Wards (lwr Salthill, old-fashioned but Im sure v. reasonable)

Stayed in Wards as a student in c 1959. Altho it wa called Wards Hotel even then it was an excellent digs Glad to see it is still going. Mrs Ward has passed away - I presume her son Billy still there?

nuac wrote: »
    Stayed in Wards as a student in c 1959. Altho it wa called Wards Hotel even then it was an excellent digs Glad to see it is still going. Mrs Ward has passed away - I presume her son Billy still there?

yes it is still there - its very nostalgic. I head in there about once every six months just for the nostalgic feeling. The red lights, the dark furniture, the "smell" of the pub area (pub smell, not a dirty smell). It has its own locals that go there every week. Its a lovely old nostalgic place. I remember coming in from Salthill on a Sunday at the beach when we were little with my parents, and stopping on in Wards for a lemonade and a bag of tayto.

ahhh

thats a litte mean ben don't you think.

Unless people are constantly on trip advisor or any site, they wouldn't know what an "odd" review is.
    In this day and age i've no sympathy for anyone who cant spot a dud review, simple. All it takes is further scrolling to see reviews from posters with more than one review. Anyway this is now off topic, no point debating it any more really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Westwood is reasonable, my aunt stayed there. If you want IN town, The Western, plus they do the bestpub grub in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

In this day and age i've no sympathy for anyone who cant spot a dud review, simple. All it takes is further scrolling to see reviews from posters with more than one review.

So as long as they haven't posted more than one review it's guaranteed genuine?

The papers printed the leaked e-mail instructions that Carlton group marketing sent to employees about how to post fake reviews on tripadvisor...wording to use, types of photos, and no multiple posts. So it's not that simple to spot fake reviews.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    So as long as they haven't posted more than one review it's guaranteed genuine?

The papers printed the leaked e-mail instructions that Carlton group marketing sent to employees about how to post fake reviews on tripadvisor...wording to use, types of photos, and no multiple posts. So it's not that simple to spot fake reviews.
    I find it easy. Maybe some dont but it doesn't take a genius not to trust someone who has one review and i also suggested booking.com too, on that site you have to have stayed in a place to review it so maybe thats safer for the less savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Menlo Park. Nice spec and close to city centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

I find it easy. Maybe some dont but it doesn't take a genius not to trust someone who has one review and i also suggested booking.com too, on that site you have to have stayed in a place to review it so maybe thats safer for the less savvy.

Booking.com is full of fake reviews. I know people who work in the hotel industry and the practice is rife. They get friends and family to book a room on booking.com and as soon as the booking is made they cancel it and refund the credit card. Booking.com still sends the review e-mail to the 'customer'. I know of one case in Cork where two proprietors had a little in-joke going on about who could create the most over-the-top good reviews for their hotels.
    The same people go to elaborate lengths to create believable profiles and reviews on tripadvisor. It is well worth their time and effort, the paying public give huge weight to these review sites. So it's not that simple to spot fake reviews and your screening technique certainly wouldn't eliminate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can we get back to reasonable hotels please.
    Travel forum could be the place to discuss the validity of site reviews.

Advertisement