Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Leaving Cert German - recommendations?

Options
  • 21-08-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

To give you an idea of my current level of German, I have just got my leaving cert results and got a B1 in higher level German. I am going to be doing a CLCS Language module in Trinity which is 2 hours a week in order to improve my German, and would like to do an erasmus exchange if possible, but I'm wondering what else you would recommend in order to further improve my German before doing erasmus?

For my leaving cert, most of my study consisted of grinding through my german book/notes, learning grammar structures and simply memorising words and their translations, as well as trying to make sentences out of them. Should I just do more of this, or is there a better way, in your experiences?

Some things I am already doing: Playing video games in German (I'm an avid gamer), reading german newspapers (Der Spiegel, Welt am Sonntag) with the help of a dictionary.

I would like to move on to books as soon as I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would recommend to hear the German language, for example by listening to German music, watching German movies or even talking to German people.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

how about going to work as an au-pair in Germany? I done this a few years back and stayed with a lovely family, I had to speak German at all times and was immersed in the language and culture. I also done a course 3 mornings a week to help stamp out any bad habits i'd picked up. I'd definitely recommend it :)

Advertisement