Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If I started a revolution tomorrow...

• 21-08-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

...Who would join me? Don't give me stuff like "I would, but no one else would." Are we really that content to lie there and take it or is the country ready to stand up for itself in the most drastic way possible?

Are you in? 55 votes

IN
    0% 0 votes
    OUT
    65% 36 votes
    Shake it all about!
    34% 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

We bitch more than we should. Things really aren't that bad. Scraping the country because of bank debt and negative equity is a little sensational IMO! Wait until we are REALLY screwed and we'll be up there with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'll bring the tea and sammiches :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Have to sign on tomorrow, I can help out on Thursday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

What happens on the day after OP ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yes i would.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

...Who would join me? Don't give me stuff like "I would, but no one else would." Are we really that content to lie there and take it or is the country ready to stand up for itself in the most drastic way possible?

It really depends on your motive for rebelling. If I believed im what you stood for, then sure. If you were an anarchist looking for a buzz, definitely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

djk1000 wrote: »
    Have to sign on tomorrow, I can help out on Thursday?

We'll stop signing on!

Come on, brother, JOIN US!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Who will be leader when it is succusful?

And what will happen the current shower in the Dáil? Exile to Leitrim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'm not in a bad condition by any stretch of the imagination. Haven't felt any effects of the recession. However, I'm incredibly bored and in dire need of excitement so I'm in :D What shall be our first move?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'm in but only if I get to kill people.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

It's not about the country being drained economically, it's not about the mass exodus of our young and intelligent. It's about our sovreignty being sold and the people who allowed it to happen. And, no matter which way you vote, it won't change. Politicians have now become a social class, one which shows no signs of changing. It's happened in Greece, it's happening in Spain, and it will have to happen here. I don't care if it would fail. I don't care if we all got arrested. All I would want out of something like this would be for those in power to know we're serious. To remind them they're answerable to the people not only at election times, but ALL the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

No.

I don't care if it would fail. I don't care if we all got arrested.

Not exactly a stirring speech to give us all confidence :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

mikemac1 wrote: »

They'll be first against the wall ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Good luck with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Holy God! We're revolutionaries not Barbarians!

Not exactly a stirring speech to give us all confidence :(
    We wouldn't be in there for long :D

This is hypotethical. And remember, the revolution comes in many forms...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Vivé la Revolution!!1eleventy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Am in as long as the new state has no motor tax and no fuel duty. Revolt for cheap petrol and diesel I say.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As long as there's guaranteed supplied Jelly Babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Humour toward any political/social problems is the only revolution, all other revolutions have failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

ManMade wrote: »
    Am in as long as the new state has no motor tax and no fuel duty. Revolt for cheap petrol and diesel I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

As a rallying call or recruitment speech that kinda sucked.
    watch braveheart
    watch any given sunday
    watch lord of the rings
    watch team america
    hell, watch chicken run and get some guidance on stirring up a group of people to stand and fight for a cause.
    Throw in a few 'we will fight them on the beaches', 'over our dead bodies', 'they will not take away our freedom' lines and you will get folks signing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Biggins wrote: »
    As long as there's guaranteed supplied Jelly Babies.

Red ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

as long as we have someone chosen to run the country before we start the revolution im ok.

ArtyM wrote: »
    As a rallying call or recruitment speech that kinda sucked.
    watch braveheart
    watch any given sunday
    watch lord of the rings
    watch team america
    hell, watch chicken run and get some guidance on stirring up a group of people to stand and fight for a cause.
    Throw in a few 'we will fight them on the beaches', 'over our dead bodies', 'they will not take away our freedom' lines and you will get folks signing up.

It wasn't a rallying call. It was a proposal. Do people need to be told what they already know? In this situation I'd rather have 10 volunteers than 100 recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Just thinking the other day about how in the Early 1900s the leaders good and bad would stand on the streets and in town and village centres addressing the people.

I know with the various forms of media now its easier to get the message to your audience but I think they connected better.

That's where you need to start, if you have a good cause (not household charge) that will also help.

Write a good speech and I'll dig out my pitchfork and stand beside you

Some peaked caps would also be appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Will there be cake?

• Advertisement

Wazdakka wrote: »
    ManMade wrote: »

And no VAT on new cars! And money for potholes can be got from laying off all the motortax workers and get ride of those pesky speed cameras. And anyway with those taxes gone everyone will be able to afford running nice cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Surely all of the members of boards together would be a force to be reckoned with, no one could stop us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

And whose to say your reign of hypothetical terror is going to be any better than what we have. You present no details on what happens when you gain power, how you will actually make it better, how you will clear the country debt, how you will deal with foreign policy, how you will deal with healthcare.

I am all for revolution but I am not backing another loser.

Surely all of the members of boards together would be a force to be reckoned with, no one could stop us.
    An army marches on their stomachs. You need organisers as much as supplies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Yes

Voting in an election is still choosing between 2 people that are fundemently the same. Yes i will stand up and be counted when and where it actully matters.

Im in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ted!

Poor people gonna rise up and get their share.

Poor people gonna rise up and take what's theirs.

You better run, run, run, run, run, run, run ..

That's a eh, no from me, just love that song.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Chucken wrote: »
    Red ones?

Anyones! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Dean09 wrote: »
    Will there be cake?

Nope, just the lamentation of their wimmin!

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    And whose to say your reign of hypothetical terror is going to be any better than what we have. You present no details on what happens when you gain power, how you will actually make it better, how you will clear the country debt, how you will deal with foreign policy, how you will deal with healthcare.

I am all for revolution but I am not backing another loser.

I don't know what will happen then. Someone who can change is not nessacerily a good leader afterwards. Look at Micheal Collins. He won it all just to see it tear itself apart. I never presented them because I woouldn't be the one to take that responsiblity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

An army marches on their stomachs. You need organisers as much as supplies.

The mods would organise everything, they're our elitist group, like the Navy Seals

The mods would organise everything, they're our elitist group, like the Navy Seals

Nope, on boards.ie we have wimmins for this
    KKkitty wrote: »
    I'll bring the tea and sammiches :)

Good girl

• Advertisement

No more vat and less tax and I'm sure every class would support the revolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I'm in, I already go to any march or meeting organized in the area.

The stumbling block seems to be - what's next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Are you not afraid to die? Are you not afraid of the shame & condemnation you'll bring on your family?

If not, then you're in.

The problem with leading a revolution is the ones not afraid to die are slightly unbalanced & I don't want those feckers leading the country as much as I don't want the current crowd.

You're looking at either assassinating the current government at their homes (large number of revolutionaries required). Someone will talk. Or, do it at government buildings, but you'll have an armed response (at this point in the thread I'd like to welcome the special branch & army to the proceedings).

You've also got to know your timings. How long before the first armed response arrive? There's already troops stationed at Leinster house (for about a year). What about the tunnels?
    How long before the rangers are deployed?

You know you're not getting out alive, right?

In Ireland, an act of treason is defined as acts against the government, even this thread is treasonous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaoXAwl9kw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You have my bow! Just make sure its within 3 years before I take my degree and emigrate.
    Dean09 wrote: »
    Will there be cake?

We will say yes but when you arrive you will find out there is none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Can't spell win without in, lets get busy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'm right with ya OP!

Right after I finish picking the fluff out from hairy arse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

The mods would organise everything, they're our elitist group, like the Nazis :D

I didn't do nothing.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I wonder is there someone in the defence department watching this thread frantically hitting F5 thinking he's going to have to wake the minister in a few hours! Someone should make the sandwiches now before this **** kicks off!

OU812 wrote: »
    Are you not afraid to die? Are you not afraid of the shame & condemnation you'll bring on your family?

If not, then you're in.

The problem with leading a revolution is the ones not afraid to die are slightly unbalanced & I don't want those feckers leading the country as much as I don't want the current crowd.

You're looking at either assassinating the current government at their homes (large number of revolutionaries required). Someone will talk. Or, do it at government buildings, but you'll have an armed response (at this point in the thread I'd like to welcome the special branch & army to the proceedings).

You've also got to know your timings. How long before the first armed response arrive? There's already troops stationed at Leinster house (for about a year). What about the tunnels?
    How long before the rangers are deployed?

You know you're not getting out alive, right?

In Ireland, an act of treason is defined as acts against the government, even this thread is treasonous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaoXAwl9kw

Good. I've outlined one of your points. No, I wouldn't try to lead the country. I'd be content with sitting outside Leinster house and playing punk music. But WILL there be an armed response? Are the troops in this country responsible to the government more than their conscience? If we don't kill/hurt anyone, will they fire? So yes, this is treason. Yes, If (remember this is hypotethical) we violently revolted, we could die and we could be arrested. But people will know. They will know and they will react and they will condemn us as fools or they will acknowledge us as martyrs and heros.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

OK, LETS GET SERIOUS FOLKS.

WHAT KIND OF SARNIES WE TALKING 'BOUT?

• Advertisement
Advertisement