Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW2 Poor FPS on 6870?

• 21-08-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭

Probably not the correct forum for this.. but most other technical forums won't know the game so pointless posting there..

Does anyone else have FPS problems with the game?

Running QX9650 Extreme processor, Win7 64bit, 4MB mem & 6870 (2Gb) gfx card.. and I only get 5-10 fps which makes the game basically unplayable..

Every other game (Daoc, Rift, Conan, Aion, Diablo etc) all work fine on high settings.. but GW2 runs like a dog on low settings..

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm using a 6870, and it's running perfectly. Have most settings at high, and i get 40-60 fps. I've an i5 2500k though and 8gb ram though.

Probably an obvious suggestion, but have you updated your drivers and all the usual fixes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm using a 6870, and it's running perfectly. Have most settings at high, and i get 40-60 fps. I've an i5 2500k though and 8gb ram though.

Probably an obvious suggestion, but have you updated your drivers and all the usual fixes?

It's a wierd one.. I have run the Catalyst update numerous times tonight (as i upgraded from xp32bit to win764bit)... it tells me it has updated to 12.8, but when i check update again it says its on 11.5 and needs updating.. so I update again etc etc... when i check the updater, it tells me all modules are at the latest level..
    Have you had similar issues? Seems to be a lot of people on the GW2 forum reporting similar issues with AMD cards.

Edit - Just checked .. the updater is a known issue.. and I am running the latest drivers, AMD just dont update the registry.. so no idea why i (and others) have the problem with GW2... :(

Edit 2 - btw.. thanks for the response :) i'm trying to avoid massive spend on an upgrade for a game i'm not sure i'll enjoy, but it's useful to hear folks with 6870's with no issues as it isn't the card thats the issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think the game can bottleneck on your CPU, but yours looks like it should be fine (though i'm not too familiar with the Q series). Not sure what's causing it, but you shouldn't need to upgrade your card, as the 6870 should me more then enough.

Yeah I'm gonna check out the hard disks today in case one is starting to die, and redownload the game just to be sure.. It's kinda annoying that I can't check any fixes I make now, I need to wait until Sat. to find out if they work.

It was a complete fresh install of Win7 yesteday and all new downloaded drivers (and very little else downloaded which would slow it down) so the PC should be at max possible speed, but was still only getting 5-10 fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HowyeLads

I'm using a 6870 1GB with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.3 Ghz) and I was getting between 30-50 fps,with the slider put to best appearance, in the last stress test at 1900x1080 with shadows on low, if that info is any good to you.Did you try changing around some of the settings like turning shadows down and not having supersampling on ?

• Advertisement

Thanks H.. thats useful info given you also have a Q series processor.. if you can hit that fps level then I should be able to also.. Are you Win7 64bit and how much memory? I was playing with everying set to low.. and was between 5-10 fps even turning around was a pain in the ass with the fps lag.

I beginning to think it might be worth my swapping out my disks for a spare one, do a complete OS rebuild on that (although this is a new OS build on the current disk) and install again just to see if thats the problem..

Really annoying that I can't test it out in advance of Sat.. but every other game is working fine. Tried DOAC last night with no issues in pvp for several hours with no lag running past 50+ man zergs, ran around in Conan, GW1 and Diablo 3 also with no issues..

Managed to get into the stress test tonight.. with the beta drivers etc.. still 5-10 fps on low settings :(

Full rebuild tomorrow and swap out of disks....

Well final update before release (unless there is a sneaky stress test tonight). :) (primarily posting in case anyone runs into similar issues)..

This morning I remembered, I had a similar issue with a recording studio PC I have many moons ago (audio latency issues), which I finally tracked down to issues with Wireless N cards (T-Link) in the system using the free DPC Latency Checker (http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml).. A great tool if you have issues, and the reason i am posting this update btw..

I ran the tool this morning, and every once in a while (while doing nothing much on the PC) video and audio latency would spike from 150 to 30,000+, Which would cause major issues. Have diabled the Wireless card and swapped back to LAN (router was 2 ft away anyway :)), and max latency over the past hour has been 500...

Obviously I can't test the fix atm.. but I'm guessing it might be the source of the issues.

So fingers crossed... :)

Advertisement